*Cue Epic Trmpet Sounds*

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Seventh, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

*Cue Epic Trumpet Sounds*

[​IMG]

I am an Aikidoka now!

Just started my first official lesson and it was so much fun. After the lesson I had never felt better. The students and Sensei were stern but friendly, and I learned a lot! They even told me to grab as hard as I could, which I love.

I then somehow ended one the other side of the mat with my bum facing up.

Still a little confused with the Aikido terminology but I managed to pick up a few things. Forgive me if I explain them weird or funny or completely miss-spell, as I don't fully understand them myself.

• Uke-The one delivering the attack
    • Nage-The one receiving the attack and countering it
    • Sankyo-Wrist lock with the elbow pointing vertically up
    • Kote Geashi-Wrist lock and applying pressure with the hand, wrist, and forearm rotating counter-clockwise
    • Nikyo-Wristlock with the arm perpendicular with pressure being applied down and slightly forwards
    • Ichi-One
    • Ni-Two
    • San-Three
    • Shi-Four
    • Ukemi-They told me jokingly that it was throwing yourself at the earth for no reason, but then they said it was basically break falling when a technique was being executed on you so you wouldn't get injured.

Besides that, I also learned this footwork, were I start out in "Hanme" (forgive me if spell this wrong) or starting position and take one step forwards with the back foot, rotate on that foot, and end up in the starting position facing the other direction.

Besides that we worked on break falling and the etiquette, like the bowing as well as bowing in order with the senior getting up first and the newbie (in this case, me) getting up last.

So yeah, I'm am now a practitioner of Aikido and enjoying every second of it.

I hope to learn many things here and explore more about my art. You could say I have been "converted" in Aikidoism lol :)
    At first I was bummed because my Tae Kwon Do class was cancelled, but now, I'm taking this wonderful art, and I have not regretted it at all. This is

Seventh, a new Aikido practitioner. Thank you.

"Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."
    ~Robert C. Gallagher

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Sweeeeet. :happy: :cool: I'm rather fond of it too.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to aiki :)

That step-turn-step thing is called tai-sabaki and might seem odd at first but when you use it to blend with an attack you'll get it. Coming from TKD you might have the usual striker's problem of not moving out of the way enough (or maybe it's just us karateka that have that problem!) but everything will come to you.

This site might help you to figure things out - http://www.aikidostudent.com/tech_menu.html

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i really want to try aikido. im sure ill love it once i try it.
    grappling arts are really interesting

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Congrats and welcome to the community, long may you enjoy your study.

Ref terminology, taking the style differences out of this for a moment, here's a good starting point for learning the generic terms and contextual usage for aikido and Budo in general.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59429 Dave

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I don't think you would.

7. Seventh

Thanks everyone! I'll make sure to read through the pages you guys have linked me too.

???

8. Killa_Gorillas

I don't think it'd be up his street, based on his posts.

9. Seventh

Point taken.
    Though, I like striking over grappling (probably because I started out with TKD), and look where I am XD

10. Killa_Gorillas

Maybe he will like it... But hey when he tries it then we'll know :)

11. Mangosteen

Why not? great variety of wrist locks and techniques to add to the repertoire.
    I wanna try shodokan/tomiki aikido.
    I looks like itd be a good addition to BJJ and judo.
    Check the sweet takedown at 20 seconds.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTt8YwPaPCY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTt8YwPaPCY&feature=related[/ame]

I even think Ninjitsu has some pretty good techniques (its just jiu jitsu with a funny name), but its cos i tried it with a decent teacher who has done some BJJ and Kickboxing and understand whats applicable.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  12. Killa_Gorillas

Yeah, I can see the competitive format of Tomiki Aikido holding appeal for you.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

congrats. good luck with your studies.

14. Killa_Gorillas

actually it's not. If you don't know what I mean by that then go a wade through the 1000000 semantic slug fests in the ninjutsu section... if you can stomach them haha :)

15. Dave Humm

Would you care to define what a jujutsu ryu-ha has in terms of its technical content and it's teaching methodology, say in comparison to aikido and ninjutsu. Perhaps qualify your opinion, as quoted.

To keep the discussion focused and relatively simple, let's ignore koryu as a discussion descriptive.

Dave

16. Mangosteen

I was just saying, many techniques are shared in aikido, judo and some ninjitsu's.
    but tomiki looks great because of the randori.
    however id like to get my bjj and judo skills really good. to a BB level before i start aikido.

17. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Tai sabaki

Dear Anth,
    While the footwork may be classified as a type of tai sabaki, the actual movement described is named irimi tenkan.Joe

18. Killa_Gorillas

No. All I mean is that if you call 'ninjutsu' an MA on the Ninjutsu forum you'll get 60 pages of flames.

19. Dave Humm

That doesn't make any sense. The original poster stated that he thought ninjutsu was just another form of jujutsu, you retorted that it wasn't.

Do you think Aikido is a form of jujutsu ?

20. Killa_Gorillas

:hat:
    It does make sense. Most people in the ninjutsu section do not consider 'ninjutsu' to be a martial disicpline in terms of physical hand to hand combat. They'd also get funny about him spelling it ninjitsu.

I was simply making a joke about the level of semantics involved in ninja town.

I believe that the hand to hand stuff I've seen and practiced in ninpo/taijutsu pretty much resembles jujutsu. It seems ninjutsu is regarded as all the extra funky stuff like woodman's skills, espionage and kamehameha :hat: If that is inaccurate then I'll happily retract my statement.

With regards to whether or not I think Aikido is a Jujutsu form I'dsay that it's a Gendai Budo derived from those practices, so yeah.

With regards to my comment on whether Zaad would enjoy Aikido, I suspect that the training would be too formal, too regimented and perhaps a little restrictive based on my understanding of him from his posts. I find myself in agreement with him more often than not and when I tried AIkido that was how I felt. I wouldn't try to discourage him from training it though, just making a prediction.