Cross-training with aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Goodkat, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Freakminer64

Freakminer64 Valued Member

In a recent class we were doing suwari-waza, with a pinning technique. My partner had done a bit of BJJ and I'd done a bit of Judo as a kid, so it progressed into a bit of good natured sparring, just testing out which pin would be most effective, and possible ways to counter it etc... It was really interesting to see a bit of blending of ground fighting techniques and suwari waza. So much so, that I'm looking to take up an extra class in BJJ. Only problem is I might have to compromise my Aikido training, so I'll probably think it through before making a decision.
    But anways my recommendation would be Judo or BJJ with Aikido.

These videos give quite a good demonstration of combining Aikido and BJJ.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivWAcPlzFg&NR=1"]YouTube - Aikido and BJJ Seminar[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GfQdB9a8Y&feature=related"]YouTube - Aikido and BJJ[/ame]

2. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Ground work practice with any martial art is a good thing from the view point of self-defence, although like any other waza you have to be skillfull for the techniques to work.

3. arcelt

arcelt Valued Member

I trained in Goju-Ryu for 10 years and currently train in Aikido (M,W) and TKD (T,Th). I REALLY enjoy Aikido, but I can tell that it will take me years before I reach a level where I could use it by itself in a real confrontation (I've been training in Aikido for 7 months). I imagine that if I were unfortunate enough to be in a situation where I had to use my MA training, I would undoubtedly resort to the striking that I've learned in Goju and TKD but, should my opponent grab me in the right way or become overly unbalanced, I can imagine using what I've learned in Aikido to end the fight.

Cross-training in a striking style is a great idea IMO.

4. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Quick question

I have read in a lot of the threads that it is very beneficial to crosstrain in other arts. It is something I fully intend to do at some point but I'm not sure how long I should be focusing solely on yoshinkan before I branch out into other stuff. I have read comments on here suggesting that I have a "foundation" or "good grounding" in a particular MA before crosstraining.

What would be a good period of time (or what kind of level should I be at) before attempting crosstraining?

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Strange as it may seem I found kendo to an absoluely brilliant cross with aikido.You could start that anytime nothing conflicts with aikido training.
    You get in armour and can truly let go.

And NOBODY moves as fast and strikes so hard as those mofos.

below Gerry Kincaid 6th dan kendo really get's me moving.

Attached Files:

6. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

There is absolutely no reason that you should not cross-train with Aikido. It will be difficult to learn two curriculums but striking arts are typically SO different from Aikido that there should be little confusion.

I train in Kempo and Aikido.

As for the Atemi in Aikido, it should not be substituted for an art that focuses on striking!

Good luck,
    Jamey

7. Mily

Mily New Member

I'll be concentrating on Aikido for a while, but then I'll most likely crosstrain into another Japanese MA. Most likely Judo.

8. Mily

Mily New Member

Agreed!! :hat:

9. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

The grappling will come somewhat naturally as you should have an idea as to what makes joint manipulation work if aikido is your base. As far as kata bunkai go, I find that GoJu Ryu Karate goes hand in hand with aikido. My aikido dojo also teach a blend of Shotokan/TKD and that seems to work really well for them...so I'm guessing you can't go wrong their either.

Hope your training is going well....train your butt off and enjoy it!

Osu!

10. koyo

The Makotokai are off to crosstrain at a karate seminar today where we shall be presenting an aikido demonstration and an hour long class in "aikido for karateka".

Should be most interesting and enjoyable.

Will keep you informed.

11. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

That sounds really cool Koyo. I started in GoJu karate b/f aikido. We lost a guy due to his job making him move. He found a Uechi place to train. We started doing aikido. Then we met up with his new Uechi group, taught them aikido as per the way we envisioned it for our bunkai and adapted it to theirs...in return they taught us Uechi Ryu. It was a really cool and fruitful exchange. To cheat, lets just say mawashiuke can pretty much be interpreted as most aikido technique.

12. koyo

The true value of the training for us is that Karateka go off balance FOR AN INSTANT and have TWO hands.feet and elbows.

We MUST depend on principles, and crosstraining shall highlight this. For our part we shall be demonstrating triangular movement and kuzushi (unbalancing) We are all longtime crosstraners so look forward to learning as much as we teach.

regards koyo

13. koyo

Makotokai cross training

The main theme was the drawing back of the fist during the execution of a strike. We spoke of the danger of leaving your head exposed in that manner.

Below David shows a BIG guy how exposed he is at that moment. While Gerry in the background is explaining how to make a thrust while still keeping the head/centreline covered.

Second photo

using sword and stick Gerry and Chris show the proper angle of entry and the importance of getting off line.

All in all a good day although the karateka were mostly kyu grades and a few lower dan grades so we ended up teaching rather than having the exchange we had hoped for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  14. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

In February I'm intending to join a boxing gym.

I think that having a striking art to complement my Aikido can only be a good thing. I think that boxing would also do wonders for my timing, distance and, obviously, striking in Aikido

I have been studying Aikido for 15 months (wow, time flys) and while I love the training I sometime find it a bit lacking in the cardiovascular department. That's not a slight on training I receive or Aikido itself, far from it. It's just that sometimes I feel that I have finished a lesson in advanced physics rather than done a good work out. That's just how Aikido is sometimes, especially in Yoshinkan, it can be very technical

I want to to boxing because of the levels of fitness that can be achieved, again this is something that can only complement my Aikdo training

I was considering taking up Karate but I think at this stage in my Aikido career taking on another Japanese art with all it's Kata's, techniques, theories and terminology would only confuse me and be a detriment to training

Has anyone else here taken up Boxing/Kick Boxing/Muay Thai alongside their Aikido?

Is it to early for me to be cross training? I read on here that some people think you should wait until at least Shodan before taking up another art, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface after nearly a year and a half. But I genuinely feel that Boxing would only strengthen my Aikido training whilst giving me good striking and excellent fitness level

15. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I train taekwondo as a complement to my aikido. It is sometimes easy in aikido training to get lazy and forget that what you're learning is intended to be truly martial and effective (kind of what Aikidojomofo was saying above about physics lessons). Having an art on the side that keeps me fit and lets me test myself in live sparring helps me maintain a martial state of mind.

Another bonus of this combination is that most taekwondo dojangs will mix aiki-style locks and throws from hapkido in with their self defense training, which will feel very natural to someone with a background in aikido.

I have heard some people say that karate makes a better companion to aikido because of its Japanese terminology. I suppose that makes sense, but I'm very happy with my first year of aikido with a side of taekwondo.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011