Cross-training with aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Goodkat, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Ok, so I have definitely decided to start aikido and am going along to a class on Tuesday. However, I also want to train in a striking art because I feel it's necessary to have a 'complete' training outlook, and I believe a striking art would complement aikido very well and make it a lot more effective. Now, I'm sure people are going to say give the ones available a try, and I do intend to look at the classes for the ones I like and are available.

That said though, I'm sure some arts would complement aikido better than others. What are people's preferences for cross training? Do you feel that a particular art is more suited to training with aikido, and others are not so complementary?

The classes I would mainly be looking at would be TKD and karate, although I would be willing to look further afield if necessary. Out of these two, does anyone hold any particular preference?

Best wishes and thanks
    Michael

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A traditional aikido club should include atemi in the training..see aikido an insight thread here on map.

Failing that..shotokan. Personally I think a good foundation in one art is needed before crosstraining.

regards koyo

3. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

I have studied a bit of shotokan in the past, and was considering restarting it anyway, so I already have a basic grasp on it. Would you recommend I focused on aikido solely until I reached a decent standard before training in both? Or go straight back to karate as well?

Thanks
    Michael

4. koyo

The differences in the kamae in the early stages could be a problem although both arts lead to the use of natural posture at an advanced stage.

If your interest lies with aikido at the moment I would suggest sticking to that one art for a while.

You are young enough..if you have the patience then again trying them both you may decide to concentrate on the one that feels the most natural.

regards koyo

5. meghatronic

meghatronic Valued Member

As Koyo has said, a good Aikido school should include atemi, although I am seeing it less and less these days.

I believe it is best to concentrate on the one art initially. Aikido isn't exactly quick to pick up - you're more encouraged to learn than taught verbatim as in other arts, if that makes sense.

6. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Thanks guys. I have decided I will focus on aikido for a while, get to grips with the basics and then see about brancing out into a striking art aswell. First session tomorrow, so hopefully will go ok...:hat:

7. how did it go?

8. .Nathan.

.Nathan. New Member

It could mess a little with your style...

Iwama and Yoshinkan Aikido both place a decent emphasis on atemi. I talked to some people at my own dojo actually, and the basic acceptance is, when you throw an atemi, whether it connects or not, its just to throw your opponent off balance. There's no need to go into breaking jaws, because when you hit that hard, it's going to be next to impossible to pull off the throw.

Unless you're looking to compete (Take Tomiki. Don't even bother learning the other styles for competition, they'll hate you for it), then there's really no need to include strike training, because you'll never have to use it, if you're doing proper Aikido.

From a self defence perspective, it's maybe not a great idea. It takes a long time to be able to use aikido for real, and make it effective. Cross training like that will just make you confused, e.g. should you punch or throw?

Aikido movements aren't designed to set up for a strike. It's not like a simple parry to a punch, where you redirect it and counter with your other hand.

Depending on what your goals are, then you may or may not want to. But at a later level, you'll have to choose between one or the other.

9. koyo

Check out martial art of aikido atemi thread Or aikido an insight thread:bang:

In a practical situation atemi is 90% of aikido.
    In a practical situation aikido STRIKES through the opponent's intention to attack. (O Sensei Ueshiba)

Every aikido technique begins by SETTING UP A STRIKE. It is the situation that decides whether it unbalances or injures.

The Ara Waza severe fighting techniques are much easier and faster to learn. It is the ability to apply techniques without injury that takes years.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Thanks for the input guys. First session was really good, enjoyed it a lot. I was picking the techniques up pretty quickly and was able to train properly with a range of different levels, so was pretty chuffed. Spent some time at the end of the session with the instructor working on my ukemi, since I was pretty concerned about this. He showed me the correct techniques and then threw me about some so I could put them into practice and I feel like I made good progress. They may not be the most graceful rolls and breakfalls in the world, but at least they are comfortable!

I would like to cross-train, as I feel it can only help to have a striking art available as well. My aikido instructor was demonstrating how he would strike (atemi) to unbalance the opponent and then engage the throw/pin. I think that having a competent striking art will help in the long run and make me a better fighter. I also really enjoy striking arts and have been working hard on my physical conditioning and strength to help deliver strikes powerfully. As much as I really like aikido, I also like to spend a good amount of time working on striking, so I think I may cross train with shotokan karate. They seem like they should go pretty well together...

Best wishes
    Michael

11. koyo

So the instructor helped with your ukemi by throwing you about?

Sounds GOOD. best of luck in your training.

Shotokan and aikido=good mix.

regards koyo

12. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Ive been practising Aikido since 1975 many of the techniques within the various koryu no kata have an atemi in them. My view is that if you are going to teach atemi it should be taught so that it is effective. One of my members is a Dan grade in Uchi Ryu Karate and teaches us atemi techniques.

Although my primary art is Aikido I have practised Judo & Taiho jutsu to Shodan level. I believe that groundwork is an area that all martial artist should touch on once in a while.

I also believe that before you start cross training you should have a good grounding in one system.

13. Goodkat

Goodkat Valued Member

Had another good session tonight, more people there so a more diverse mix to train with. Only complaint I have is that some of the people seem to turn up for either the social or the exercise, which is fine I guess, but I like to train hard and properly. There were a couple of beginners who wouldn't do any real ukemi, and the sensei tried to make us all do the same thing so I talked to him and told him that I can do fair ukemi and then demonstrated it, and so he let me go and train with some higher ranks. I realise the training is cooperative and I like that very much as it is good for avoiding injury, but I still think the techniques should be delivered properly. This is why I like harder training where I am getting thrown about, because it makes me learn a hell of a lot faster than someone trying to throw me and me being expected to fall over. I eventually trained with a black belt who was a really nice guy and was actually doing the techniques hard and proper (hence the aching wrists!) which is what I want, I don't feel the need to throw myself over when someone pushes me as I think that this will just make them think they are doing it correctly. So overall, I'm loving the art and I find the techniques challenging but very satisfying, and it is great (and painful!) when I'm training with the right people, but very frustrating when people don't expect to have to take the throws or even fall as I don't feel I can deliver the technique properly. I don't know if that makes any sense, it's just my post-training rambling observations...

Best wishes
    Michael

14. meghatronic

meghatronic Valued Member

Sounds like you're having fun training.

Just remember people learn in different ways, and universally it is generally a good idea to learn to walk before you run. I'm all for doing techniques hard and fast, but sometimes you learn minutia by going slow. Train with me and I'd probably confuse the hell out of you as I alternate from hard/fast and soft/slow as the evening progresses. Iriminage for instance can be done hard/fast easily, but to do it really slow/soft, you need to take uke's balance completely. And so on. Different emphasis.

I know people that have been doing aikido 20+ years and still practice their ukemi and taisabaki vigourously. So training with the 'beginners' isn't always bad.

Incidentally, is this a uni club you're going to?

15. divine spiral

divine spiral shiiiiiiiiiiiiii-zack!!

taekwon do and aikido is a great mix.i used to do both but i had to give up aikido due to college.itf style taekwon do would b the best imo

16. Blast

Blast Valued Member

A friend of mine used to do taekwondo and aikido, and he told me it's great together, although, he had to quit aikido for some reasons and still practises taekwondo once a week.

I wouldn't say taekwondo is a better style, it depends on what you like and how the club teaches you. If you would ask me that question about which style would be better I'd say aikido, but I never trained taekwondo. I do know that a lot more effort was put into making aikido, but then again, I don't like people to say this style or that style is better.

Goodkat, it seems like you're doing great and keep it up. It's not easy to get the hang of it, but once you do, you'll notice that there is still so much more to learn.

17. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

Don't forget the ground game. Therefore;

Shotokan and aikido and judo=great mix

:thinking:, that sounds like Yoseikan :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

18. koyo

There is only one reply to that.

Yep sounds like yoseikan:)

regards koyo

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  19. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

On a more serious note, cross-training is always a good idea.
    Just remember, don’t focus on what is different (stance etc), focus on what’s the same.
    “Budo wa budo desu.” Martial arts are martial arts.

I recommend a competition style of Shotokan.

Regards,

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'll second that.