Crocodile Hunter,Steve Irwin,Is Dead.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dominic13, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Dominic13

Dominic13 New Member

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead. [​IMG]

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) was called about 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the crew's boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

One report today said his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and was yet to be told of her husband's death.

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.

Irwin's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

Louise Yates said it was impossible to quantify how much Mr Irwin had meant to the Queensland tourism industry.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

"It would be difficult to estimate how much he was worth. And it would be difficult to underestimate."

She said Irwin had been a larger-than-life ambassador.

"It's not just what he brought but what he took with him when he travelled, his passion."

Australia Zoo, on southeast Queensland's Sunshine Coast, employs more than 500 people and attracts thousands of visitors every day.

But Ms Yates said it would be "unfair and unjust" to put a dollar value on Irwin's worth to the state, because of how much he had given.

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au
    =======================================================

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I just heard about this on the news and I was SO shocked. I am a massive fan of Steve Irwin, and it's so unfair that something like this should happen to such a kind and gentle man.

I really feel for his wife Terry, and daughter Bindi and son Robert. He seemed like a great Dad.

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Always loved that guy. Rest in peace mate......

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

We had a minute of silence at work when we found out. End of a great man, he did alot for Australia and its wildlife.

5. ironknuckles

ironknuckles contemplating....

Now the news says that he was filming a show on tiger sharks for his daughter and that his wife has told her children that their dad has passed on. Such a sad thing. He contributed so much most of the money he paid went back into his park.
    Rest in peace, Rest in peace

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

WOW!!!

For many people he was pretty much the face of Australia. :D

R.I.P. dude.

That blows me away. As much as I found his insane enthusiasm annoying it was a far sight better than any of the other shows on wildlife out there and he did a good amount for wildlife conservation and peoples attitudes towards wildlife.

Sad stuff. :cry:

7. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Thats a damn shame... I mean you can only tempt fate so many times before your card is up. But it doesn't make it any less crappy to hear.

R.I.P. man... *raises glass* ... I'll put a few down in his name :(
    Hopefully they'll dedicate the park in his name and start a foundation for others. It'd be good to hear his legacy living on for quite sometime..

8. NaughtyKnight

He sure as hell tempted fate, but it wasnt even the most dangerous animal that killed him. Stingrays are hardly the deadliest creatures in the world, in fact, only 3 people in Australian history have ever been killed by them.... When you think of Steve Irwin dying, you would think he got eaten by a croc or shark.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I am actually surprised it was him that went down before his camera man. What we see on TV is the edited version with all the flub ups removed. Flub ups are one thing... but flub ups with full grown crocodiles and sharks are usually a fatal flub up.

I am still blown away by this.

10. Dominic13

Dominic13 New Member

Yep,They are actually locking out youtube's uploading right now believe it or not because people are flooding it with the video of steve irwin,they actually caught it on camera,and i got about halfway through it,but all i saw was him swimming. They are also locking out lots of wikipedia articles,because people are vandilizing them .That guy was so awesome,i used to watch his show all the time,and the movie was great. I still want to believe this isnt true for some reason,i.e. he is taking a break,someone started a good hoax (they have done them before).

This whole thing probably isnt,but could very well be a hoax,they have said steve irwin has died many times,all over the internet he has apparantley died from crocs,spiders,snakes,mosquitoes,and now a stingray.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  11. elektro

elektro Valued Member

He was definitely a good man. Always used to enjoy his shows.

Can't get the Bob Mortimer impression of him out of my head........

12. NaughtyKnight

Its not a hoax.

13. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Yes it is DEFINATELY not a hoax...and the freaky thing is I bet at least one crew member got it all on film.

Anyway, I am so deeply crushed by all this. As someone who grew up around wildlife conservation (father works for Conservation and Land Management and so did I for a while) I hold nothing by the highest respect for Steve Irwin...both as a genuine good bloke and as a wild life spokesperson. He has been nothing but unselfish in his desire to do good for Australian Flora and Fauna as well as educating the world on international animals.

In fact as someone involved in the film industry I have always hoped to work with Steve so I could combine both my passions. But at least it's good that he, someone who absolutely LOVES to surf, was taken while in the water with an animal that he loves.

RIP Steve.

14. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

This sucks, the bloke was one of the biggest fruitloops on television, but he was awesome! RIP man. :cry:

15. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

:( I can't believe it, what a tragedy :(

Steve Irwin for me was the man who could actually make a wildlife show entertaining, he was like a David Attenborough for people with a pulse, really bringing everything in his shows to life and making animals exciting. His enthusiasm and passion for the world around him will be greatly missed. RIP.

16. rwnasty

rwnasty New Member

legend

Man, i just got back from a camping trip in Norway and heard the news, i am absolutly gutted the man was a legend. He gave so much to the world and he will be missed. I enjoyed watching his documentries as did my eight year old daughter. RIP mate never forgotten big osu.

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Very sad to hear this news, had nothing but respect and admiration for what he was about. Very entertaining with it, a thoroughly good bloke. RIP

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

19. Dominic13

Dominic13 New Member

20. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

pooor guy, may he rest in peace.....

But what a life he had lived, i bet he lived twice as well as most people on here, and in world, hes been places we can only dream of and done things so many of us could never hope of doing.

he lived well,and died at his best like all greats.

i do not understand how the hell a stingray can kill someone though, i meant you can pet these things and most sealife centres,you can go and swim with them. and how could thir whiplike tails manadge to penetrate the heart?

was it the puncture wound of the barb or the actual venom that did the harm?as from what i hear many many people get stung by stingray and just end up in pain but ok. last time i go swim where these things are.

forever live the memory of steve and lets hope his conservation work is continued.