Crazy neighbour's complaints

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by inthespirit, Nov 29, 2012.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Right, well me an the Mrs. moved in to a new flat about 2 months ago. Since then we have been getting some really strange complaints from an old lady type neighbour. Basically, she keeps posting letters through our mail box complaining that our light switches are too loud, our doorknobs are too loud and that we walk too loudly. Today we got a new one, very aggressive, demanding that we change all the above and put in carpets. On top of that, the really damn weird thing is that she lives above us and complains about loud footfall, even though we don't wear shoes at home and me being a hardcore chi master who makes no noise and practically floats over the floor and the Mrs. weighing 50 odd kg can't make much noise even if she tried.

How would you deal with crazy old lady? Send in ninjas to execute her numerous cats? Become an even greater chi master and transmute in to a pure energetic soundless form? Assume she is nuts and humour her by saying we changed everything? I'm quite lost...

Sugestions welcome.

2. Considered

Considered New Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's sometimes hard to remember that old people are just young people that didn't die. They are just as annoying and stupid as other people.

Personally I'd tell the old girl to *expletive deleted* off.
    Loud light switches indeed. She'll be complaining about the bog flushing next.
    Walking, switching lights etc are absolutely normal noises that wouldn't be subject to noise control.
    I had some noisy neighours a couple of months back and it was explained to me that for a complaint to hold up the noise officers come into your house and take a decibel reading to gauge the level of nuisance to you.
    A light switch in another flat would barely register IMHO.
    Send her a letter asking her to stop harassing you maybe?

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

My advice would be to do nothing and don't worry about it. It's her nature to complain and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Simply go with the flow.

Since she is only sending letters I would keep them and read them again some time in the future for a good laugh.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks dudes! All good advice!

LOL @PA 'old people are just young people that didn't die' :D now she's also gonna complain about the crazy laughing from downstairs!

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

hurry up with the flat warming party ?

7. Considered

Considered New Member

You should get a job in government :)

That too...

She might need this:

[​IMG]

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Lol!!! Excellent idea Cloudz! Maybe we can all get some boots and dance Ganganam style all night while flipping light switches and turning door knobs to the music! :D

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Definitely! Maybe I'll put a copy through her mailbox along with some earplugs :)

10. Considered

Considered New Member

That's it!

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

there's really nothing you can do, per the above posters. had a friend who lived above a crazy old lady. she was constantly complaining. they don't even wear shoes in their condo and she was constantly complaining about how loud they were. this crazy lady would even buzz their front door repeatedly when they were supposedly too loud. a lot of time, crazy old ladies decide to try to impose their will on new tenants. the previous tenants probably got to the point where they ignored the old lady nonsense. there's really nothing you can do. you can't not turn your lights on or off. you can't not walk around your own house. it's unfortunate.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Right her a letter back saying that you will comply with all of her requests if she agrees to pay for all the modifications.

Old people hate noise, but they hate spending money even more!

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Invite her round and make friends with her. Maybe you can make a difference in the life of a lonely old lady.

Mitch

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I feel a need to post this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60QjtkhpSIU"]Lonely Old Widow in a Downstairs Apartment - YouTube[/ame]

15. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks all! Got two more letters from her since yesterday. Both of them were undated and unsigned. I just put a note back saying if you don't sign and date your letters, then I can't tell who their from and to what time period they refer too, I also asked her to provide evidence to corroborate her allegations. Let's see, though I kinda feel like winding her up now :)

16. StripedPickles

StripedPickles Valued Member

Just smile at the old dear, apologise and tell say... 'no no, I'm really sorry for the confusion, that noise isn't our lightswitches and doorknobs we picked up some new sex toys' :D

17. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hahahaha! Awesome idea!

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I lived in an old condo with squeaky hardwood floors once, and this woman downstairs used to complain about everything we did as well. We never wore shoes, we never had guests over, we didn't listen to loud music or TV, and I was studying on a bed for hours at a time. The woman still complained to the tenet association people who became intrusive to our lives, and eventually I just stopped caring knowing there was nothing I could reasonably do to accommodate her. She moved out a few months later.

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've got all this to come I expect. I'm moving into a new place tomorrow and after buying a huge TV it was only right to buy a decent surround sound system. So 1000watts and dance music is surely only going to endear myself to my new neighbours I think?
    My idea is to open the door to complaints naked, showing my tattoos off to their best. What can possibly go wrong?

20. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

One of my ex's had to deal with this. One time, the silly cow even complained that my ex had been making noise while she was over 100km away on holiday for a week. I have very little sympathy for this kind of thing. Just because they're old it doesn't mean it's not bullying.