Crappy Neighbourhood

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by watto86, Nov 11, 2005.

?

What do you think of where you live?

1. Good

48.3%
  2. Bad

31.0%
  3. Neither one way or another

20.7%
  1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I don't know about you guys. But the neighbourhood I live in is semi-dodgy. Its not normally safe for people to walk around of a night here, and there was a white-power rally heald here only a few months ago. There has been all sorts of weird stuff happening here. Robbings, stabbings of a weekend, etc. Not always common, but they happen every now and then. I was going to walk from a pub/bar to my place at 3am one morning (which is only a 5-10 min walk tops) but my mate stopped me cos there'd been too many knife attacks in my neigbourhood lately.
    Whats is like where you guys live?

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

My area used to be nice, nothing really ever happened, it was shock-horror if there was a shop robbed, etc etc. However, it's gone steadily downhill, more robberies, stabbings...One guy got smashed in the head with a hammer and left for dead in the town centre (he was in a coma in hospital last thing I heard). The ever-growing chav culture is a major problem. Combine that with the government's ridiculous desire to build hundreds of thousands more houses in the south-east (my village as been proposed to have another few thousand built here), and lets just say I'm glad I'll be out of here in a year. :woo:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Where I live now is fine. I have lived in some very dodgy areas, and it's a nice to be able to walk home from the pub without having to worry about someone trying to mug you or attack you. Worst I've had is some drunk trying to give me the 'bump'. Funny thing is that he was about half my size and just bounced off me!

There are some areas nearby which I would avoid at night... so I do.

4. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Yeah. Sounds like a lot of places here in Aus. The sad part is that even though most of my friends don't live in the type of neighbourhood that I do, there are still way worse than me here.
    There is a town here in my state whos name I wont even mention cos the place does scare me to a degree (cos i've been there a couple of times). But basically one of the suburbs there is one of the toughest places in Australia. When I was working out there, a couple of the locals told me about what its like. One of the stories I heard was that a 2 year old was kidnapped, raped and murdered there. Same thing happened with a 1 year old. There are tonnes of things a kin to this in the tribe wars. A bad one I heard was at a girls 14th birthday. The birthday girl was attacked by some Aboriginals from a rival tribe/family. They cut off one of her fingers, one of her breasts, raped her, then killed her. There is some sadistic stuff carried out in my state. And most of the really bad stuff in Country Towns doesn't get reported to the police, seen as how it doesn't get acted apon, or just the pure fear that you'll be killed in retribution for pointing the authorities in someones directions.
    And it does make me a little sad. Seen as how we have it so good where I live.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

There are good and bad places everywhere. I now temporarily live outside the city in the countryside and that's relatively easy, but a lot of, what Americans would call "rednecks", over here. In the city it's ok most of the times, but at the weekends and at night you need to be more careful.

6. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

All quiet here in the hills. :)
    (Allthough lately, I did see a dog chase a cat).

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

My neighborhood isn't perfect. There are some wiggers running around who rob a car or break into a house every now and then, but no violence for the most part.

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I've lived in some dodgy areas in my younger days, once I got married and had kids I started caring more, as my career has improved, side projects started becoming profitable and such things I was able upgrade my living standards. I now live in an upper-middle class neighborhood, great neighbors, we all watch each others kids when we are outside, the kids can play at night and such. A very "community" type neighborhood.

Very great neighborhood, I am very happy there and feel very safe...and very fortunate.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

What is a 'wigger'?

10. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

My neighbourhood is what I would call just right. Not so much violence, but enough going on to not be boring. I can walk around safely anyway.

The centre at night and some quiet backalleys are a different story. There is always some fighting going on, I read about them every day.

Never been attacked myself, although sometimes I fear for my folks. Luckily, they don't visit the town centre at night.

11. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Chav, I think.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

They have chavs in the USA too now??!! I wonder if they wear burberry...?

13. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

That covers the descripion nicely...:D

14. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

i live surrounded by crackheads pimps, and prostitutes BUT i love my neighbourhood.

often the dodgier neighbourhoods are the ones with the most character.

i can get some of the best roti, jerk chicken, vietnamese, italian, food found anywhere in the city and it does not cost an arm and a leg. who cares if you have to put up with some dodgy crackhead business every now and again.

=)

15. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I'm pretty sure Wiggers predate Chavs. But I don't think they wear Burberry.

16. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

more and more people are acting out of whack, that's for sure... degredation of society i guess... people in power don't seem to have any morals so why should the average guy on the street?

I live in a nice area, but if i take a 5 minute ride downtown at 3 am I could find a shooting, stabbing, or at least a beating.

The plus side is martial arts is taking off like crazy in my neighborhood ;)

17. RobA

RobA New Member

I live in East St. Cahokia IL, (actually that is a joke name0 its really cahokia, but East St. Louis has filtered over the last 5 years. My neighborhood used to be a very nice place , but with low income familys moving in and property values decreasing , we now have roving gangs in the streets, drugs and alot of domestic violence. the Local police rarely patrol my street, and the local hoodlums stand in the middle of the street challanging cars as they pass, I almost ran one over the other day. Mostly they see me going in and out for class in my GI and the fact that I have a 125lb rot/st. benard mix. so my house doesnt get messed with, all the other house around me have be broken into.

I am planning on moving my family to a safer location, as soon as we can afford too.

18. Yohan

Wiggers are a bit less severe than chavs. Chavs, as I understand it are the white trash scum of the world that lives off the government and does nothing but drain on society, make babies, and commit crimes.

Wiggers are just white people who try to act like stereotypical black people.

19. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

That is probably the best, most concise, perfect definition I have ever come across. :D

20. Yohan

And I've never even see one!