Cosmically evil OT: Necronomicon: Real or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Adam, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

After reading some of the work of the late H.P Lovecraft, I've come to wonder if the Necronomicon, the book on ancient supernatural horrors by the Mad Arab Abdul Al Hazred, really exists. Is it a real book of witchcraft and sorcery or was it just an invention of Lovecrafts that he became somewhat obsessed with?

2. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

I believe there is a copy in the restricied section in the British Museum.
    You need to be a student and have a pass from your uni to gain access to that section so I am unsure if it is really there.

David

3. Pai Mei Mrk. II

Pai Mei Mrk. II New Member

Necronomicon'd

The Necronimicon is a strictly fictional object. H.p. Lovecraft (is a great freaking writer) made up the book.

4. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

If it was real it would be on the internet.

And i'm not kidding .

H.P.Lovecraft was a great great writer.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Actually you can buy it, but its simply a book containing details of various horror works, and was written after Lovecraft came up with it.

6. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Having been a CoC Keeper for more than a decade I truly HOPE that book is fictional :D

And I also hope the stars never will be right! :woo:

(Visit www.yog-sothoth.com for a lot of SAN-draining Mythos discussions)

7. Saifa

Saifa New Member

actually there are a bunch of necronomicons around. lovecraft was just one author of one version.

8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Necronomicomic :D

9. Matt Molloy

Matt Molloy Valued Member

I prefer Terry Pratchett's Necrotelecomnicon wherein can be found all the phone numbers of the supernatural beings. :D

Necronomicon is pure fiction. Good fiction, but fiction nonetheless. (If I ever have to eat these words I will no longer care about it as it will be the last thing on my mind. :D)

Cheers,

Matt.

10. Pai Mei Mrk. II

Pai Mei Mrk. II New Member

LOL damn those Cthulthu Cycle Deities! But I maintain it's purely fiction!

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Lovecraft made up the Necronomicon. I think he discusses it in one of his letters. The version(s) available at the bookstore are cobbled together from various sources, like Sumerian myth.

The Pnapkotic Manuscripts are real though. I keep them on the door to my fridge. Like a report card... of EVIL!

Stuart