cool Aikido videos

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Sore Knees, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

You posted that video without any irony.....ok...

I have to disagree with you. I don't think it's great for the dojo. It's false, unrealistic training designed to make sh'te/nage look like some kind of "Ki master". There is no place for it in a dojo. What's the guy going to do if he comes up against and uke who is not willing to through themselves and intends to make their attack count? Do you think his technique will work? I could almost understand it if this were behind closed doors training for the purposes of developing ukemi, but to do it as a demo piece to a crowd speaks volumes about the mentality of Ki Aikido practitioners, they want people to believe that they can throw with no touching.

Aikido has a hard enough time with credibility and videos like the one above are, quite frankly, detrimental to the art.

2. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Here's a video I was going to post anyway, but it serves as a good contrast to the Ki Aikido video above.

This is Chino Sensei, recently appointed Dojo-cho for Yoshinkan Aikido (He's now is charge)
    look at the technique from 1.27, which is similar to the sweeping arm techniques in the Ki video. Does it look like uke has a choice about whether he goes down or not? Then look at the use of atemi a throw or 2 after.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqn9FK0LqqY"]å¹³æˆ24年山梨養神館演武大会 åƒé‡Žé“場長演武 - YouTube[/ame]

To me this video show a committed uke and a sh'te who isn't giving him a choice about being thrown

3. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

The reason the Ki video is terrible is there is NO attack from the uke, he is just running into him, infact it looks like he is going to just run past him it nage was to just move out of the way. The only good thing is that nage is cutting straight through uke so he has to take ukemi or be hit BUT and it s huge BUT, the fact that uke is not attacking in anyway cancels out what nage is doing anyway

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Indeed.

May as well just be hitting pads. Except that would'nt carry the desired connotations...

Ki Aikido? KIss my posterior.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

agreed. the ki aikido video is pretty bad.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ Spot on. ^^
    Makes me wonder what the larger context was (that was clearly just an excerpt of something), but even still, it was rather pointless for the nage. Good ukemi practice for uke, however. ;)

7. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Since taking Tae Kwon Do, the only thing about it I can compare to Ki Aikido is the sparring method that is used in some of the Dojos.

In my old school it was actually done quite differently. The more experienced people had to handle tougher Uke.

Though we still developed some of those difficult moves that don't really works outside of Aikido as a devotion to the art.

Ever tried to knock Uke down with a Shomenate Irimi and have it actually work?

Also many demos are performed more like a dance (probably to reduce the risk of injury?) but still makes for a good show IMO.

-----

I took Yellow Bamboo for a little while. I didn't care for it. The instructor thought he was Jesus or something.

It was actually allot more unrealistic than Ki Aikido - everyone was going super saiyan and and not even fighting each other.

8. aikidoka-je

Ki Aikido. I like it because they focus on the spirituality and art of Aikido.
    REAL Aikido. I like because it shows what Aikido is really capable of!

------

I thought [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wdPhI01jU"]this[/ame] was a good demo of the 'martial' application of Aikido.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Dude this is nonsense. If a Ki Aikido uke falls over without being touched it's because they've been trained to fall over at the right moment. Not because the guy doing the technique is doing something different other Aikidoka don't know how to do.

I studied Ki Aikido for well over 10 years and encountered that sort of thing far too often.

10. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

I have never trained in this so called REAL Aikido! or saw a training session So my opinion here is limited to only watching these demo videos, but I have never once saw them show any form of Kihon training only demonstration training where it is all pre-set and Uke always looks as though he is attacking to take ukemi not to attack only. Until I have felt it I really cant say if its good or bad but just would like to see what happens when someone strong actually grabs properly to restrain or attacks without going in for the ukemi

11. aikidoka-je

You've gotta' do Ukemi or risk serious injury.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Injury from what?

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well I suppose falling over for no reason can hurt. But really? Why not just insist the technique is done properly with control. Then you have a reason to ukemi. Which is to receive technique. Not fall over.

14. aikidoka-je

For example when Tori is performing Kotegaeshi. If you don't do the Ukemi, your wrist will be broken.

15. Dean Winchester

I understand the concept of ukemi :)

My question was relating to the Ki Aikido clips, sorry.

16. aikidoka-je

In Ki Aikido it's almost like part of the Kata for Uke. Even if Tori's move doesn't warrent Ukemi it is still done (probably because it looks nice).

Kind of like how in Iai-jutsu, Chiburi is done after each form.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

This is not how it's meant to be. This is the end result of dilution. Koichi Tohie believed in the merits of hard practice.

18. Dean Winchester

There is no risk of injury then is there? It's a bad habit, IMO, what's the point to it if there is no real attack and no real principles being applied to uke?

I'd go as far as to say it is possible detrimental to good ukemi because you don't learn what you can take, how you can move or how to recover from actually having your balance taken and being pummelled into the ground.

Not all Iai has chiburui and even then when it is used it is not without purpose, it isn't done just because it looks nice. It has meaning within the kata and for the development of the kenshi.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  19. Aikido11

Aikido11 New Member

I've always enjoyed this NGA (Nihon Goshin Aikido) video of Sensei Robert MacEwen. It's from an interview in the 90's. I believe Sensei MacEwen is San Dan in this video (keeping in mind that NGA is a 5 dan system).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1B8sogcOyY"]Aikido Master Robert B. MacEwen Interview 1990 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm forever annoyed that it is called "aikido" when it has no connection to Morihei Ueshiba. (Same story here.) That's just outright wrong in my book. :woo: Overlooking that, though, I too have always been impressed with MacEwen's video demos. He is plainly very skilled at aikijujitsu.