Continuing at home (for now)

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by the om, Aug 17, 2012.

1. the om

the om Valued Member

I've been training Hapkido for the past couple months, and have really been enjoying it. But, now the time is coming for me to start heading back to college. I only have one more year left before I graduate, but won't be able to continue my training in an 'official' manner (i.e. at a school) at least until after I graduate (it's a combination of not having the time as well as not having a source of income.. Though, I have already begun the process of looking for schools :) ).
    Now, I know the taboo that surrounds practicing at home (and don't really expect anyone to tell me to go through a form (ha)), but given my situation it's really all I have at my disposal for the next year or so.
    Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any good resources (reading, videos, interviews, the works) and / or exercises (body weight or otherwise) to keep it fresh in my mind and not loose what I've been working on (I know it's not been much in two months, but given that I'm still a beginner it seems like a lot)

Thanks

(PS I don't mean to be rude, nor ungrateful, but if you're just gonna tell me it can't be done please don't bother; this is my only option for the time being)

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I'm going to tell you anyway with a slight addendum

You're going to college. They probably have have a gym no? Work on your fitness. It will help your FAR more in martial arts then doing some half cocked practice by yourself.

3. the om

the om Valued Member

That's fair enough; I've actually already worked that into my weekly schedule (weights twice a week for an hour an a half, and two hours of cardio a week, as well as crunches and pushups 6 mornings a week).

I understand that, given the nature of Hapkido, it's not very likely that I'll find something effective to train (at least not the style itself), but was still hoping someone might have something up their sleeve... :p

Edit: I should also add I'm not going to be completely in the dark; my school offers Tai Chi classes. I know it's not quite the same, but it's the closest I'll get.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

I'd recommend you take a look around the area you will be going and see what schools are available. Stop in and check them out. If you find something you like, have a chat with the instructor about finances - see if you can get a discount or train once a week for a lower fee or if you can maybe "work off" the fees. I've done this as a student and as an instructor in order to keep/gain good students. It's worth a shot.

You can also post on college boards, put up a flyer, or otherwise look to see if you can find interest in a Hapkido group at the school - there may be some students (or instructors) at the school. That's worth a try as well.

If all of that fails and you still want to keep a toe in the Hapkido waters, you can try "home study" (videos). I don't particularly recommend it without an instructor/class, but if you can find a partner willing to work with you (and hopefully who has some experience), it may be better than nothing.

The best "instructional" Hapkido videos out there, in my opinion, are Alain Burrese's Lock On videos. (http://www.aikiproductions.com/dvd-store/) See my reviews here (http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64085&highlight=burrese)

I am partial to the Combat Hapkido video library as well - not as "instructionally detailed", they are more of a video catalog of the techniques. Pretty good as a class reference. (http://www.combathapkido.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=6).

Best bet is to find ANYTHING live with a real instructor and students to work with. At most colleges there are clubs/programs that are cheap or free. I wouldn't worry as much about the style as I would in just getting training. You can find a Hapkido school later (hopefully).

By the way, what system/kwan of Hapkido do you study?

5. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Thomas pretty much said it all.

If you can't find a Hapkido instructor nearby, maybe look to some form of Jujitsu or even Aikido to fill in the time. It will give you a good base for when you return to HKD.