Constantly badgering ! How a badger trains :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by FunnyBadger, Feb 26, 2015.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Well I have decided to jump aboard the band wagon and put up a training log :) Things will be a little wild to start with as I am moving house 3 times in the next month (long story, don't ask) but then should quieten down. I figured I would start this now before I start moving hoping it will help keep me focused on getting in the gym :)

I will only be putting my weight training on here, might occasionaly put in some snippets from my MA training by that's going to be super variable for the next few weeks.

My weight training is a mix between powerlifting and body building styles of training, mainly low reps and heavy weights focused around compound lifts but with some isolation exercises and high volume sets thrown in for funsies :) Currently trying to do a squats day, chest day, core/cardio day, deadlfts day and an upper body day. If I get any extra time I try to get some extra cardio in. Also I don't work my back much at the gym as I do loads of pull ups through out the day (aim for 50 a day spread into as many sets as needed), door frames, trees, helicopter staging in work, anywhere there is something strong enough to hold me - not as many places as I would like lol

Current stats 186cm tall, 97kg heavy and approx body fat of 11% (varying between 9.5 and 12.5 depending on the mood my super cheap callipers are in.

So first session of this log :)

26/2/15 - legs !

10 mins gentle cycling to get the blood flowing

Squats 60kgx10 60kgx10 100kgx8 140kgx6 150kgx6 150kgx6 150kgx6 form was starting to fade by the last set but it wasn't too bad :)

Leg press machine 300kgx5 320kgx5 340kgx5 340kgx5 300kgx5 quads totaly dead by this point.

15 mins or so of stretching off and general mobility work.

Was a decent session but can't wait for my new lifting belt to soften up, it's only 2 weeks old and it digs in like mad around the hips.

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Sounds like a plan and it appears you've thought it out. With your deads, squats, and pull ups I concur with you that your back is covered. I do the same sort of training but always include a row type exercise. Impressive leg press numbers.

3. FunnyBadger

Cheers :) When I do my upper body day I include dumbell rows and/or cable rows, something that covers that movement pattern but it's not one of my favourite parts to work.

4. FunnyBadger

27/2/15 chest'icles

Warm up with press ups and some arm swings

Dumbell press (slight incline) 30kgx10 35kgx10 40kgx8 45kgx6x4 sets
    Felt good doing that, sometimes feels a little hard on the wrists but that was ok :)

Decline bench 90kgx6 100kgx6 100kgx6 80kgx6
    Felt easy at first today so I got carried away with the weight and it caught up with me lol

Lat raises 12kgx10 12kgx10 10kgx10
    Tried for super slow negatives on these and it hurt lol

Dumbell flye 27.5kgx5 27.5kgx5 27.5kgx5 25kgx5 22.5kgx5
    Had to drop the weight at the end to keep form.

Walked out with a grin :)

5. FunnyBadger

28/2/15

Operation abs!

Cross trainer 5min warm up 30s/30s intervals x 10 5min cool down
    Covered 4.9km and tried to keep my heart rate above 160 for the interval section. Burned an alleged 260 calories.

Cable machine
    Cable crunches 45kg x 25
    Cable twist (wood chops but staying at shoulder height) x 10L+10R
    Prone leg raises (slow) 2kg(pinched between feet) x 10
    Side leans 20kg x 10L+10R
    Repeat for 4 sets with as little rest as possible

Treadmill
    20 mins at 10.5 kph (3.5km)
    Burned an alleged 335 calories.

I had hoped that the calories would add upto 500 between the cross trainer and the treadmill (I like round numbers :) ) but t'wasnt to be.

Was a reasonable session, I didn't push too hard but made sure I got a decent sweat up. Trying to get back into doing more cardio but it's by far my least favourite form of exercise, coincidentally what I'm worst at go figure lol

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Oooh, nice log! :)

7. FunnyBadger

1/3/15

Deads !

5 mins on exercise bike to warm up

Deadlift 100kgx10 140kgx6 180kgx3 200kgx3 215kgx1*

Dumbells clean and press 20kgx10L+10R x5 sets

* I would usualy do 3 or 4 sets of 3 reps at 200kg but today I was totaly not feeling it. As soon as I realised it wasn't going well I decided to do one heavy single and find something else to do.

Ended up being a bit of an abortion of a workout tbh. Drinking last night had a pretty catastrophic effect on today's training. I should have learned that by now lol

8. FunnyBadger

2/3/15

Upper body :)

Press ups and arm swings to warm up

Bench
    20kgx10 60kgx10 80kgx8 100kgx6 105kgx6x4sets
    Last rep was a massive struggle, failed it first attempt so I rested the bar on my chest for a couple of seconds and just squeezed it out on second try, luckily lol

Cable rows
    91kg (max on the tower)x10x3sets
    Verg strict form and slow negatives trying to make the most of the weight as I can't increase it any more.

Dumell flyes/Dumbells rows super set
    26kgx5/50kgx5 28kgx5/50kgx5x4sets
    Quick tempo between sets, felt pretty good :)

Lat raise
    10kgx10x3sets
    Strict form and slow negative phase

High cable cross overs
    17.5kgx10 20kgx10 22.5kgx10
    One of my favourite exercises, always try to find time for it :)

Was a good session, made up for yesterday's disaster lol

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. FunnyBadger

Bonus badgering :)

I'm on nights this week and couldn't sleep properly this afternoon so thought id go for another session.

5km treadmill run
    Took 28 mins to finish, works out as 10.6kph not exactly worth bragging about but it's a bonus session so it's all good lol

Ab circuit
    Lying leg raises x10
    Russian twists with 9kg med ball x20
    High reach sit ups with 9kg med ball x10
    Ball drops on stomach with 9kg med ball x10
    Repeated for 4 sets with 30 sec rest between sets and no rest between exercises.

Always a nice feeling knowing you've done more than you planned. Also means in the (likely) event that I feel rubbish tomorow I can justify a rest day :)

10. FunnyBadger

Was thinking about having a rest day today but badgers don't rest lol!

Cross trainer intervals
    5 min warm up, 1 min sprint/1min slow to recover x10 sets 5 min cool down - total 30mins.
    Covered 7.5km and burned an alleged 400 callories. I tried to maintain a heart rate above 150 on my recovery periods and it was peaking around 175 in the sprints.

Was a really quick session given my activity level and lack of sleep last few days. Still felt good after it though :)

11. FunnyBadger

4/5/15

Squatage!

Got a bit of time out of work and hit the squats. Had to make it a quick session though, don't want to take the mick when I'm onto a good thing lol

20kgx10 60kgx10 100kgx8 140kgx6x5 sets

That was all I had time for but was a decent lil session :) Shame it was at 2am though lol, always feels weird training in the wee hours. Silly circadian rhythm!

12. FunnyBadger

5/3/15

Chesticulars! And other bits.

Bench
    20kgx10, 60kgx8, 100kgx6, 105kgx6, 107.5kgx6, 107.5kgx6, 110kgx5
    was planning on 6 reps in the last set aswell but bailed out, number 5 was a struggle and it was heavier than id planned on going - only planned on 105kgs but was feeling good so thought id push it slightly.

Weighted dips
    20kgx5, 25kgx5, 30kgx5, 25kgx5, 20kgx5
    was starting to hurt a bit by the end

weighted pull ups
    10kgx10x3 sets
    did these mainly because i was under the bars with a belt on already :)

shoulder press machine/dumbell raises superset
    60kgx5/lat raise 8kgx10, 65kgx5/front raise 8kgx10, 65kgx5/lat raise 8kgx10,
    65kgx5/front raise 8kgx10, 60kgx5/8kgx10
    kept super strict form on all of those sets i started out with slow negatives but they sped up as i was starting to run out of steam

Awesome session :) now to get ready for work :(

13. FunnyBadger

Abs !

cross trainer
    5mins warm up 1min sprint/1min active recovery x 10 sets 5 min cool down
    Covered 8.6km and burned an alleged 402 calories. Had a few drinks last night so wasn't feeling to great for this session so I set the resistance lower than the last time I did this and went further but burned less. Felt much better after lol

Cable crunch 45kgx25
    Cable twist 20kgx10L/10R
    Lying leg raises x10
    Side leans 20kgx10L/10R
    X4 sets with no rest between exercises and 30sec rest between sets.

Considering my slightly hung over state walking in it was a really good session :)

14. FunnyBadger

Catch up of the last 2 days.

8/3/15
    Dumbbell press/pull ups super set
    32kgx10/7, 38kgx8/7, 44kgx6/7 x 4 sets

Dumbell flye/dumbell row super set
    28kgx5/50kg x 5sets

Was in a bit of a rush so just a quick chest and back blast.

9/3/15

Treadmill 5km
    Took 27min 04sec today and burned an alleged 530 callories.
    I was feeling a bit fresher so tried a bit harder, still not a great pace though. Some serious work still required.

Leg raises x10
    High reach sit up (9kg med ball) x10
    Russin twists (9kg med ball) x20
    Med ball (9kg) drops onto abs x10
    4sets of with no rest between exercises and 30 sec between sets.

15. FunnyBadger

10/3/15

Rest day

11/3/15

Deads!
    60kgx10 100kgx10 140kgx8 180kgx3 200kgx2 205kgx2 210kgx2 200kgx2
    Felt better than the last time i deadlifted but still a bit frustrated with it, I wanted more volume but was struggling with multiple reps. Went slightly heavier to compensate and that went ok but was aiming for 4 sets of 3 reps on 200kg.

Dumbell clean and press
    20kgx10L+10Rx5 sets
    Kept up a good workrate, no rest between first 3 sets and <30 sec for the last 2.

Got some time out of work later on so went for some cardio/core work.

Treadmill 5km
    Took 27min 4 seconds again, not as quick as I would like but after the deads earlier I was pretty happy with that :)

Cable crunch 45kgx25
    Leg raises x 15
    Cable twists 20kgx10L+10R
    Leans 20kgx10L+10R
    X4 sets
    Was dying by the end but was an awesome bonus session :)

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well you are a badger aren't you! My lord! Never seen so many deads for a set! Good on ya! Couldn't imagine even looking at a treadmill after those deads my friend. Well done!

17. FunnyBadger

12/3/15

Upper body :)

Dumbell press
    32kgx10 36kgx8 40kgx6x4 sets
    Went slightly lighter than usual but slower reps, it hurt lol

Weighted pull ups/weighted dips super set
    10kgx5/5, 15kgx5/5x3sets, 10kgx5/5

High cable cross overs/low row (machine) super set
    22.5kgx10/85kgx10 x3 sets

Was in a bit of a rush hence all the super setting but was a nice session, hurting now lol

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Nice work so far, mate! I'm just curious as to why you don't do ankle flexions or any other calf exercises while you're doing all that legs/back goodness. :) Thanks and cheers!