Considering Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by tkdgirl01, Feb 1, 2004.

1. tkdgirl01

tkdgirl01 Silly no more!

I am thinking about taking Tai Chi, but not sure what style. I am taking TKD now, and was wondering if it would be ok to add Tai Chi. I'm doing traditional TKD and my dad is thinking of Tai Chi as well (he isn't doing any MA), any suggestions?

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

With tai chi more than anything else, it's important to get a good teacher because there are many out there who've just done a weekend tai chi instructor course for leading old folks in exercise...

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I agree. Unless you're in a big city in China, you won't have much choice about what style of tai chi to do. Go to some local classes and have a chat to the teachers. It'll take a while to learn the basics of tai chi (whole body movement and common exercises), which anyone can teach you. It's more important to have a good rapport with the teacher & students.

4. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

tai chi works with any matial art. its internal. once you get the body feel you can add anatomically correct power to form and attacks

5. tkdgirl01

tkdgirl01 Silly no more!

Thanks for your input- I'll keep them in mind when I decide to go and check them out.