Confined Spaces

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saz, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats the school system for you, I actually got suspended for defending myself.. go figure.

My sensei always says if you'r attacked, disbale them quickly and get away quickly. But what would you do if the situation meant you couldn't escape? I'm talking being in a lift, a locked toliet cubicle, a locked car or even the stationary cupboard at work. Some really confined space where you can't get out from. In a lift, for example, you can't get out until it stops, and its hard to make it stop while your fighting someone. And even then, if you do disable them, you have to keep them down until you can get away. What would you do in that kind of situation?

To me this is something us women have to think about more than men. It happens more often to women than men and the consequences can often be worse. We don't train for it, do any of the girls here do or have you done a self defence class that did?

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Well me

If I am up against it then I would let rip - cornered animal etc. Not with rage but more hurting techniques.

SINGLE ATTACKER

Septum strike, never had anyone stand up to this irrespective of size. not a push or take down but a take out. Eyes as well etc.

MORE THAN ONE

Same as above and use him as a shield or to intimidate the others, or if paniced just mess him up an onto the next one. It is important to me and my thoughts not to get sucked into a grapple in this situation, I have to drop him hard and fast, also make use of objects, peoples heads dont bounce well of public toilet sinks and bogs etc.

My thoughts.

SONSHU

3. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

I think a grappling style would be more effective than a style requiring distance. In a bar, for example, ranged attacks such as kicks are an invitation to be floored. A confined space certainly makes for an 'interesting' fight.

4. Sonshu

People can strike at grappling range

Comes back to what was said earlier. Its not the Dojo.

I can if I want grab the bottom of your lip and rip it down, this hurts like hell even if done controlled due to the level of nerve endings. Grappling if there is more than one will get you kicked in as you will be overpowered even if they have no training.

You need to level the first one. Not talking Karate kicks, close in strikes, JKD, Kung Fu, boxing this type of stuff.

You need to disable the first one as a warning to get the others but more importantly to open up an available root for escape or at least to get some more room to assess the situation.

Also headbutt works well in confined space and teeth - remember its not the dojo.

SONSHU

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Or at least an angry man with a toffee bar! eh Cain :D

Being in a confined space could be a big advantage, unless you was gonna run!

But it means you won't be attacted from behind or by mulitple attackers in the same way!

Also what your attacker losses in not being able to get powerful techniques off you'll more than make up for in faster multiple attacks, maybe ;)

6. Sonshu

Still

More often than not it is a hinderance PGM as you have little or no dodge ability and will be less likely to have room for a decent stance, this can cause people who train in technique to lose a lot of power as many styles do not train in arm strength alone but need stances to work off.

SONSHU

7. Jazman

Jazman New Member

personally I don't think I would give him time to attack me if I had no room to dodge... I would bull-rush him and take off his balls and then his head... (not literally of course, unless I was mad :D) I still think it would give you and advantage... i.e. only 1 maybe 2 places to attack from... but I'm not personally fearful of an unarmed attacker attacking me anywhere

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Confined spaces are actually something that we train for, ranging from around six feet by six feet to phone box size. Depending on the positioning, grappling isn't always the wonder people seem to be suggesting. Try taking someone to the floor who's backed into a wall, they ain't gonna fall over. If there's enough space to pull them down though, grappling will work.

NB: I personally classify grappling as groundwork, and clinching as stand-up grappling.

9. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

knee to opponents groin, opponents head to your knee, chop to back of neck, stamp on knee cap and walk off. That easy!

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Pre-martal arts training I had a "situation" in a locked car. I was given a ride home from a party and the driver "detoured" the car to a desolate area. I knew I would have to "play along" until I could get away. ......Plan.... to get him caught with his pants down (literally....) and then plant one and RUN!!!
    I won't go into all the details....but I was young, and this was very scary but I knew if I acted complacent and didn't fight it at first I may have a chance to get away. And I did .... believe it or not I started running and came upon a road near an area fast food place where the rest of my friends were parked in the lot!

My #1 weapon at this time was not my ma experience (I had none!) but my brain!

Actually in the womens self defense classes I am helping to teach we are going to cover this area. Kicks are limited in their practicality in close quarter situations. Elbows, hammerfists and palm heel strikes against his weakest targets...ears, eyes, throat, groin and knees.

(Oh btw, I did use a weapon..... I reached into my purse and took out my hairbrush..... you can take it from there!):eek:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Nice one, KickChick! You kept a very cool head and didn't panic.

Reminds me of a story when a woman who was getting raped pretended to give in to the guy, then she grabbed his nuts, placed her feet on his hips and yanked as hard as she could! :D

12. Sonshu

Nice one kickchick

A lot of it depends on how far people are taking the confined spaces theory. I am looking at toilet cubical, phone box etc.

If I was the attacked I would be far to aware of the groin shot and that would be the biggest worry to me. This is somthing I do explain to females I teach, if I was the attacked wanting to get a female I would be expecting eyes, groin, ear etc.

Trouble is doing martial arts it makes you more aware of these sorts of things, also attacking a guy in a confined space I would be expecting a groin attack and make sure I am eliminating this as best I can.....

SONSHU

13. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Assuming confined space means that we are up close and personal then free movement is restricted. I'd probably target
    the eyes and throat. Fingernails make a good weapon and if close enough bite. A foot stomp or an upper cut to the jaw area does well in close contact since these techniques allow you to direct your power up or down instead of out.

14. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

confined spaces......whew....I'm so glad I learned wing chun very effective in tight spots. Yet when all else fails:woo:

15. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

If I was a woman and was about to get raped in a restricted place I'd put my thumbs straight into the idiots eyes until he went blind. He's have a hard job in an identity parade lol

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Re: Nice one kickchick

Agreed!.....

As I said this was pre-ma training.
    And he wasn't expecting that type of a "groin shot" ... (if ya know what I mean)....It did catch him totally off guard, and that is how you want to approach those type of shots.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2003
  17. Sonshu

True

Its amazing how often this stuff is taught but the setting up of it is the important gold mine in this sort of situation. Like most things we all do in MA.

SONSHU

18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Bear in mind that a guy who attacks a woman isn't looking for a fight he is looking for a victim ... so females "fight" with a totally different mindset than 2 guys dooking it out!
    And unfortunately for most women, they are not comfortable learning how to be physically aggressive.
    I highly suggest every woman whether they be ma trained or not to take a comprehensive SD class/workshop where they also include confined space SD techniques.
    There aren't many attackers out there that are models of good mental health, but any male attacker that takes his pants off around a woman who has had SD training is not just deranged but unbelievably stupid.

19. Adam

Adam New Member

I think that in a self defense situation it's important to use stopping techniques rather than pain techniques. If you were getting raped by someone tough and put your thumbs in his eyes, he would probably be more likely to get even more enraged and start hitting you, whereas the groin, kneecap and throat are areas where no-one normal can take an attack without folding. Just my thought.