Concept Driven versus Curriculum Driven Instruction

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by DAnjo, Oct 7, 2008.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Boxers dont begin learning how to cross-jab-uppercut-bob-outside hook-outside shovel-cross-slip-bodyshot and then try to discern principles from that combination to learn how to time their jab.

Basics come first. Combinations/techniques come from personal growth while utilizing those basics under the guidance of an experienced instructor/coach. Not the other way around.

2. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

Informative post. Indeed, a technique is only ONE of the many options that arise from a principle or concept. The only way for a martial artist to grow is to understand the principle, take the technique taught him and adapt it to what fits his own style or abilities.

3. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, it's been over a year since this thread was active, so I thought I'd revisit it. After having spent another year and a half teaching beginners, I have even stronger opinons regarding basics and how neccessary they are before intermediate or advanced learning is possible.

I also have to revise what I mean by "concept driven" or "Technique driven". The concept is the approach to fighting that the art takes. Judo's approach to fighting is of course grappling, whereas Karate's approach is striking. Each art is going to have a concept that will determine what techniques are emphasized over others and how they're combined. Kenpo and Karate have many of the same basics, but they are not emphasized the same, nor are they combined the same. Each art or style within each art (Shotokan versus Shorin ryu for example) will have that which makes it unique. These are the concepts that the art is based on. The way an art is trained and the combinations that comprise the art art determined by the underlying concepts of the art itself. Without those combinations etc., I'm not sure how one would teach the concepts since they are physical examples of how those concepts are applied (at least in laboratory conditions).

So perhaps that is the question: how would one teach the underlying concept of a martial art without teaching combinations that epitomize those concepts?