competitions and judges

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 2, 2003.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

so far i have been to many competitions and i have experienced different judging as well, and i have to say that i don't agree with all that. the judging varies, depending on the competition (national championship, european, world, open championships etc.....).
    once i was having a fight with this girl who hit me several times between my legs, which in tkd is not allowed, but she didn't get any penalty points. the 3rd time she did it, my instructor complained and that is the only reason why she got a penalty point. she kept kicking me below the belt. my thighs were severly bruised. it was so frustrating. so i decided to end this very quickly. obviously there was no other way to handle it. i used a chance to hit her with a neryo chagi. it was a KO, and a pretty nasty one as well. another time there was this judge who didn't allow us to clinch, not for a single second. i mean, when u r in a clinch situation, u can pull ur hips backwards, i.e. ur body, and do a dolyo chagi with a jump. i score a point that way every now and then. and sometimes the judge allows clinching all the time.
    have u had any experience like this and what do u think about all this?

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

At the end of the day the judges are human and fallible. It's down to associations to produce good quality referee's.

Even if you computerised the whole shindig there would still be disputes.

Fact of life.

3. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

all i have to say is Learn to block down low. LOL

Ive had this happened to me before you just have to deal with it the best you can.

4. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

what were you doing knocking out a girl ?

Your tone of "I had to end this quiickly" sounds very wrong to me

was it an exhibition match ?

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it wasn't an exhibition match. it was the european championship, my fight for silver. she was kicking me all the time below the belt, she kept pushing me, grabbing my dobok, and the judge didn't intervene. she crossed all possible limits. maybe someone wanted her to get to the finals. so we continued fighting. and once she wanted to do a dolyo chagi, i was faster and did my neryo. KO of course. and of course i had to end that quickly. what was i supposed to do? let her hit me, kick me, push me, grab me ...??? come on, give me a break. i'm all for fair play. and i am always a fair player, but it is more than obvious that she wasn't. my neryo was ok, i didn't do anything that's not allowed. i won fairly. and after the match, she told me something like: ''u'll see next time, i'll kick ur ass'' etc etc. was she ''threatening'' me?? ha ha ha ha ha

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hey Chazz,
    block down low, u say. ha ha ha i know. i know. i am aware of that. if i hadn't blocked down low, there would have been more kicks like that. when in a fight, u try to read ur opponent, right? it's a shi.ty situation when she gives all the signs for a certain kick, it's ok if she scores, it's also ok if u misread the signs but if the kick lands between ur legs, on purpose, then what? this girl has been disqualified, given penatly points, warnings before because of her behaviour. obviously that judge was doing his job. but this one wasn't. i talked to other judges who were watching my fight. they told me that they had never seen such lousy judging.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  7. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Not an exhibition???? I always though you were a guy neryo-tkd.:eek: Anyway stuff like this always happen. A lot of judges sometimes are doing this to help out only, they might not be someone who knows the rule book. Especially hate it when the judge just so happen to be your opponent's coach, then it just gets all political.:rolleyes:

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've been to over 35 tournaments in 7 states. I'm not bragging just stating my experience. I have only been to one tournament that I wouldn't return to because of biased judging on the parts of the 'host' schools judges. I think that most black belts who make up the judging corps are fallible and DO make mistakes, tho in a tournament just ONE week ago, I heard a ring judge announce to the other judges in the case of a tie, "We'll go thru the motions of declaring a winner." I wanted to ask what that mean but he was a very high ranking black belt in our area and I am only a colored belt. I would have embarrassed my instructor.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, Kof_Andy. this was exactly the case here. not only was the judge on the tatami from her area, but two out of three judges who were sitting around the tatami and pushing those buttons were her instructors. so how the hell was i supposed to get a point when the two of them don't press the buttons????
    the good thing about it is the fact that it was the only time i have experienced something like that. when u lose fairly, no problem, but if u are supposed to lose because someone said so....

10. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Sorry to hear that certainly takes the fun out. Thats one of the reason why I dont compete in tkd anymore, although i do recommend little kids to go all the time. ;) I much perfer free boxing, a real match, and a real judge. Something I certainly will be doing soon.:)

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it does take the fun out. i was soooo disappointed when i saw what was going on. i am always a fair player, and i expect others to act accordingly. that's what i am teaching my students in the class too.
    but, don't worry, i am not the type of person who gets depressed and defested easily :))) good luck in your fights.

12. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

yeah, we went to one tournament were we had a brown belt in the black belt break 2 full size boards and she went right through them, meanwhile some of the other blackbelts there were having trouble with one board and she came in third when she most definately deserved first. I havent gone to a tournament at my college yet but from what my coach says theres definately cheating involved. they try to keep him away from the fights because they know hell call them on it.

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

how is it possible that people get so rotten? haven't the judges trained martial arts as well? have they forgotten about everything their instructor taught them? which brings us to the question if they have learnt anything at all?

and it leads us to another question: is it possible / allowed to become a judge if u haven't seriously trained that martial art? maybe this question will sound stupid to some of u, but believe me guys i've seen it happen. people with no or tiny little bit of fighting experience became judges. how ironic and sad!

14. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

i actually think that sometimes these judges havent really trained in martial arts. especially in certain competitions where certain forms arent allowed because the judges dont know them. I mean if they were really qualified to be judging they would not have to know every single move of every single form but rather know what to look for, strength of technique and stances, confidence, etc.

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, sad but true :-(