Competition weight.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by bouli, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bouli

bouli Valued Member

How do you decide what weight to fight at? Given that a lot of BJJ competitions have the weigh in when you step onto the mat, does cutting weight make sense to you?
    So do you fight at your natural (walk around) weight or do you bulk up or slim down for competition days?
    For the sake of this thread, lets go with the IBJJF rules where you weigh just before you fight, so no rehydrating etc after a previous day weigh in.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

For a same day weigh-in I diet, but I don't excessively cut water. You want to get rid of as much fat as possible without weakening yourself. I definitely wouldn't be going through a bulking phase, as when you are bulking up you tend to put on the fat as well as muscle which will be counterproductive. The only guys who don't have to worry is guys fighting super super heavy, or possibly competing in open-weight.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Coming from a Freestyle Wrestling background, I've had comps where it was the same day weigh ins and I still cut weight.. I walk around at 88-90kg. I compete at 85kg which is the nearest lowest category to me.
    It makes a little sense as if I was to stay at 90kg I'll be going up against those who are naturally 95kg+ who have cut down. So they'll be either bigger/stronger/taller/broader in general.

Also its only a couple of kilos, so you're not really really dehydrated anyway.

And with fair warning, you can easily diet down to the weight class area without risking health issues via starvation and dehydration.

My worst cutting experience was when I had 4 weeks notice to cut from 92kg to 84kg. And I did all the silly stuff such as missing meals, dehydration, constant state of sweating etc. I managed to just get under at 83.5kg and thankfully it was a previous night weigh in.

The hotel carvery had no idea what hit 'em :D

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I usually walk around at 160lbs and i've found that's usually near the limit for one weight class regardless of competition. So usually I'm cutting about 2-5lbs.
    I honestly couldn't care too much if I'm at the bottom of a weight class that spans 40lbs. I've tapped out guys weighing far more and I consider it fun and challenging.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

weighing in just before you get on the mat is a nonsense, really unfair to people like myself who are stuck right in the middle of a weight category thankfully iv never done a competition that used those rules yet, the IBJJF categories around about my weight are to far apart as well 61 kg and nothing in between till 66 kg, I walk around 63 most of the time but could never make 61 complete crapolla. Apart from this I have no problem cutting for a weigh in on the day as long as you get at least an hour to square up and get some carbs into your body.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Cutting weight means water loss, for BJJ comps, unless at blackbelt or elite levels makes no sense.
    Now dropping weight through diet is a far better idea. Normally people will diet to the weight cat below there own natural weight.
    Ive cut three weight cats before, it was a very bad idea.

7. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Some interesting replies there guys, keep them coming. Personally I walk around at 79 kg, so with a gi, tend to fit snugly into the medio bracket. Have competed a fair few times, always at medio, so far so good ;).Haven't had to cut/drop weight for any competition yet, just wonder if guys (and girls) who are at the upper end of their weigh divisions like myself, ever feel the need or urge to drop down to a class below or even go up.....

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive competed at two weight catagories above twice before, both due to a entering when tired!
    Both were good, but i wouldnt do that through choice again!

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm the same weight, 79KG. I don't think a cut would be worth it for me as I would have to drop too much, and whilst I might diet my way down I think at 6ft i'm fighting where I should be.

I think that there is an ideal weight in relation to body structure, and gameplan plays a part too. At 6ft I would be better at 90Kgs if I got on the roids, as I would be going against taller guys and I somewhat feel shorter works in terms of grappling, but dropping down would make me a lanky thing.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think the best quote i've ever heard in regards to this is by mills lane, longtime boxer and ref. he said, and i'm paraphrasing, you should compete at your walking-around weight and that's it. never cut.

now for some of us, it's the walking-around weight is the problem. lol.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i'm 5'9" and 80kg, working up to 94kg over the next few years. doesnt take roids - just dedication.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

and cookies.

13. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Or horse meat like Ubereem ;).

14. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Certainly doesn't take steriods to get to 90 kg at 6'. Right now I'm around 88 kg at that height but this past Spring I was a consistent 90-92 kg. Just takes a lot of food, and if you want it to be muscle, a lot of hard lifting.

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Hey I know this sounds trollish, but everyones on the juice. I totally agree that you can make gains without it, and you don't need to cut.

But, the reality is everyone who is seriously competing is on PEDs and they cut.

For mere mortals like myself its a different story, and diet is fine.

Rolled earlier today with a guy clearly juiced up, he lifted my entire body up from a top half guard position to mount with one arm on the ground. Just a reality of the sport.

A digression perhaps, but also worth considering when you think about who is going to be in your weight class.

16. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Have to aqgre with Mattt here, although amateur in name, the top level guys train like pro's including the "suppliments".

At my level though ( Senior (Read: Old man) abd blue belt medio) there doesn't really seem to be much on the old PED front here. Granted it's a much smaller pool here though, my main worries are high level judoka....

17. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That ought to be fun. Grips like vices, arms like iron, and a base like a mountain. They're one of the reasons I prefer nogi. I find it's a much more even playing field.

18. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Yeah, but no gi is bloody exhausting!

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think most fighters these days fight at their walking around weight - its just that they don't weigh in at their walking around weight...

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You ever make it into the city to train when you pop down to hombu? I try to get to Axis every visit now, good bunch of guys there.