Competition Aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Freeform, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Spike

Spike New Member

Andy Murray`s article on a relationship between point fighting and street fighting might give you a few thigs to think about. It`s a very good article and has a lot to say on the subject.
    There has to be some level of competition when training, if you have any inkling for using it for self-defence. Otherwise you are applying a technique to someone who is doing nothing to stop you, about as realistic training as trying to do crouching tiger jumps or bullet-time

One last question, you ever been punched by a boxer?

2. med

med New Member

i hope my earlier posts didn't give the impression i felt that competition meant non effective.. thats not what i meant. at the end of the day its not the martial art its the martial artist. what i meant was if the competition is practiced without the origins of what we practice in mind then important stuff will get lost. so naming a load of martial arts who's practitioners can handle themselves seems a mute point.. unless of course somebody rubbished competition, i have to admit i may have missed that its been a long time since i checked the board.