COmparing styles

Discussion in 'Karate' started by JurassicWarrior, Apr 6, 2004.

1. JurassicWarrior

JurassicWarrior New Member

I never understand why everybody compares styles. I saw the clip of the Shotokan 1st dan and the bjjer. Mind you I agree that the shotokaner didn't appear to have his heart in it. Anyway, I would have posted on that thread but it was locked. Seems like they always get into heated debates over things like that escpecially if it's a UFC set up. I've seen clips of MTers beating karate guys, also in a sporting set up. Yet I never see MAers, boxers, kickboxers, bjjers, wrestlers, streetfighters meeting in dark corners w/no witnesses besides each other and actually no rules. Ever notice that?? Why didn't the shotokaner put all his weight on the bjjer's head when the bjjer went in for the takedown?? Granted that wouldn't be the end but it could have bough the shotokaner a few seconds. Oh well?

2. JurassicWarrior

why didn't the shotokaner sidestep?

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

There's an edit button on the bottom of your post. Use it if you need to add more rather than posting twice.

4. JurassicWarrior

My bad.

5. Stick

Stick New Member

Let's face it, shotokan wasn't designed for ground work. It's that simple. Side stepping can lead to other problems. What did I do? I study shotokan, judo and jiujitsu. It rounds things out.

6. JurassicWarrior

I do the Uechi ryu thing. I also rassled in my high school days. plus when I went to college they had a karate club ther but it was merely a mix of taikwondo and aikido. I did that for the year I went away to school. I think sidestepping is more reliable than going back. As was present in the clip.

7. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Well, because you kind have to know how to rassle to stop a rasslin' shoot. Or some form of grappling.

Why don't we see BJJers fighting in dark places with noone around? YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION, SIR.

8. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Side step

He he this is a good one!!!

If you side step just to side step there is no point. Take up a dance lesson if you wish to side step.
    If you side step and deliver a technique there is a point. If you side step to be able todo the next move there is a point.

Even if the attack is in a straight it does no mean the fight should take place on a straight line. But for many people this the way they fight. I have seen many fight where people wont leave the darn line. This also means your karate training has failed to a point.

Example:

If I'm going to kick you in the stomach I can do 3 kicks in a straight line:
    Mae geri (front kick)
    Yoko geri (side kick)
    Ushiro geri (back kick)

Or I can side step through and do
    Mawashi geri (roundhouse kick).

Wich would also be performed in a straight line but with a side step. So straight line attack is not the same as stepping straight.
    This is a very common mis understanding.

Regards Kerling

9. JurassicWarrior

I did?

10. JurassicWarrior

I didn't mean for the shotokaner just to sidestep. I supposed I should have been more specific.

11. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

Please don't compare styles in general even though it is okay to compare certain aspects of styles.