Come Post Your TKD Questions Here!!!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

I think it's a cultural thing, as I've only seen western practitioners put stripes on their belts (for all belt colours). Me? I've only my names, school, 'lineage,' and association...and will never put stripes on my belt.

Did the HKD schools you went to in Korea use stripes? I can't recall ever seeing stripes in Korea. Ever.

Although, I suppose I'll have to get a new belt...one that Americans can read.

Cheers,

DH

2. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

When I was with the TAGB, at first everybody used stripes, I think Mr Towndrow was one of the first people to start on numerals when he was 4th or 5th Dan. Now in PUMA everybody seems to go with numerals, I think in the condensed encyclopedia the page with all the belts on has them with Numerals.

I like the idea of having your grade on your belt. Recently I attended a training session run by Master Choi Jung Hwa, lining up at the start was difficult to do in anything like rank order, the only real correctness came from the 4th Dans and above (Distinguishable for the black stripes on the arms.) Nearest the front, third, second and first were all over the place... I guess it shouldn't really matter, but maybe there could come circumstances, when it would be important to know each others grade? I can't think of any off-hand though.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I never saw "stripes" in Korea... and none of my rank belts (Hapkido or TKD) from Korea have stripes on them... the right side has our 'lineage/school' and the left my name in Korean.

I sometimes wear a plain black belt, sometimes my Korean ones (comfy), and now have a new one with stripes and the master's name and such (which I usually wear for gradings and such). My favorite one is a nice soft one that my wife had embroidered for me in Korea with my full name on the left and both organizations (KHF,KTF) on the right... that way I can wear the same belt for Hapkido and TKD class! It's neat to see the different reactions and assumptions that students make based on what's on your belt.

4. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

ok. this may not be a technical ? But I have noticed that people within the TKD forum have a pic of thier belts at the bottom of thier posts.(such as smokmare above) Where are they and how do I put one on for myself?

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Dear TKDists.

Does TKD do the shin block used in MT and full contact karate? Does TKD even do low kicking at all?

Thank you.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Shin blocks and low kicks are illegal in competition (WTF).

We do train them in class, especially for self defence applications. TKD kickers should be able to throw their kicks fromthe range of ankle height to head height ideally... we use higher kicks for compeition and low kicks for self defence and other applications.

8. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

thanks KC. :)

9. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

Question - what is a good defensive move for a side kick? Have a guy in my school who lives by them. While sparring with him you can see him step up for it - telegraph - and most of the time beat it or move out of range. The question is - how to avoid it as soon as the instructor says "fight"? I tell my students to look for a lean (to the back), as most people do this prior to the kick. This isn't always the case. I also tell students not to stand flat footed and move back and to the side.

Any help would be great.

10. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

I'd be ready by standing on the balls of my feet, then jump to his blindside
    -or-
    Side step palm block

11. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I reap dividends by sliding back and scooping the leg - HARD, throwing them off balance, and turning their backs to me, then blitz in striking to back of the head to bury them. Another unorthodox way of defending against it is as they raise their kick, do a side pushing kick to the thigh, just as they are getting ready to kick, it won't score, but it can be very frustrating and it keeps your arms free to defend against a second technique if the first was intended as a feint.

12. James Smith

James Smith Banned Banned

I have a question. Why would anyone study WTF Tae Kwon Do. WTF Tae Kwon Do is just a game of tag. ITF is actually a martial art.

13. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

What's better TKD or Kyokushin or Jiujitsu ?
    What are the strenghts and weakneses of TKD

14. Kyberneticka

Kyberneticka Valued Member

Question- I train with a guy who has crossed trained in Aikiedo (sp?), and MT.

Normally i don't spar with him as he has no self control and has a huge amount of weight behind him and i can't afford a couple of days/weeks out of work.
    I sparred with him yesterday and he throws in a couple of tricks to distract you, all of which i know about and take no heed, but everytime i kick, he grabs my foot to make me close the gap and for him to punch me. I got the punch in first and he jumped back still holding my foot and nearly tearing my thigh from my hip.

I probably won't be sparring with him again and i spoke to my instructor about it.....but do you guys have any tips?

15. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

I was wonder that a TKD student wouldn't stand mutch ov a chance in close quater combat ie. on a bus or train compered to a karateka or boxer
    True?Falulse? plz reply

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

we don't support questions and threads that deal with 'style vs style' or 'this style has no chance against that style' so refrain from doing so in the future. if you think that one style doesn't stand a chance against another, then don't train it because we don't need any flaming. if you think that one style isn't worth anything, ok, it's your opinion, but also know that there are people aroud here who do train it and are successful in it.

as far as the questions in the posts above are concerned, use the search button, we already have threads discussing it.

17. James Smith

James Smith Banned Banned

I could tell from your post you did WTF TaeKwon do.