Combat Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by hardball, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Try kali ;)

2. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

i was actually thinking about doing that next, but I'm sure I would miss the rich pageantry of Korean martial arts....not to mention the parts where I pretend to be a tiger or preying mantis, or train to kick people off a horse (shetland pony at my age).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

What about Bas?

4. Saved_in_Blood

We do the four corners testing... it starts out slow with random attacks and then slowly we move to full speed in order to be able to think and improvise on the fly. I feel like this is a good method and is helpful... even just a little with controlling adrenaline. Even if you know it's just a test, you still get nervous because you want to be able to do a good job.

I do agree with the boxing statement, but as my instructor pointed out.. there comes a time when a guy has to much weight on you and it becomes much less effective. Hit and run? lol.

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Now what's wrong with hit and run?

6. Saved_in_Blood

Nothing... the car in the movie was awesome lol.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lol!

this is why i loved aikido, which i only did for a short time: the "samurai" pageantry.

8. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

We have drills in each class that simulate a real fight and then on Friday's we have Friday Night Fights. Fridays is when we do "live" training.

Each Friday is different:
    1st Friday: Kick/Box/Throw (wearing boxing gloves and mouth piece)
    2nd Friday: Throws only (Like Judo)
    3rd Friday: Throws and Ground (Judo, wrestling and Jiujitsu)
    4th Friday: MMA Gloves and grappling. (Medium contact punching on the ground)
    If there is a 5th Friday: Instructor choice

You fight the way you train - Musashi.

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You only do live training once a week?

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes… the old MMA argument comes up every time.

Training and competing in MMA is an excellent way to develop and hone skills and test them. In my opinion, it’s the best form of training (physical/tactical) for dealing with a fairly specific level of threat – namely a one-on-one ‘fight’ that cannot be avoided, cannot be de-escalated, cannot be escaped from, and one in which you know for sure that the opponent will engage with the goal of a KO or submission. You also know there are no weapons and that the environment is controlled. This provides for a very high of skill development for specific parameters.

In Combat Hapkido, we are much more of ‘generalist’ practitioners. We also learn and practice to distinguish the most appropriate level of force (if any), ways to avoid a confrontation (escape or de-escalation), and then ways to end confrontations with little or no force all the way up to deadly force, including the use of weapons (tools) and so on. Our philosophy is that for most people, they will rarely, if ever, find themselves in the context of an MMA match, but they most likely, at some point in time, find themselves with the threat of danger and need to know how to escape while using the least amount of force within legal constraints.

That said, I am not saying that these systems are not compatible. They complement each other very well. MMAists would do well to supplement their training with lower levels of force training and legal information. Combat Hapkidoists would do well to supplement training with as-close-to-full-contact sparring as they can. The problem, of course, is time. MMAists preparing for fights probably won’t spend much time on the lower level of force self defense material and Combat Hapkidoists won’t spend all of their time at the upper levels of force/sparring material.

What I like about Combat Hapkido is that the program is built to allow for experimentation, asking questions, and trying the material out if various ways. Cross training is encouraged and lessons learned are expected to be shared.

I agree. It can be done. It should be done. That depends on the school though. It is encouraged from the top (GM P).

What I like that I’ve seen in CHKD schools is that we see more ideas and materials coming from RBSD training and more creative setups for practicing lower level of force material (like grabs, pulls, pushes). I like seeing vocalizations added, different types of grabs, and the resistance. I like the openness of CHKD and the willingness of instructors (from GM P down) to answer questions, entertain ‘what-ifs’, and to allow for resistance/slip ups/reactions. There are some more traditional schools that will not entertain such notions, let alone entertain the idea of taking things that work from other arts and incorporating them.

As far as your example above, I would posit that if you have reached the point of “squaring off” to fight, then the time for locks has pretty much passed. At that point, you need to switch to striking or decide if you need to deploy a tool or weapon if you cannot reasonably de-escalate or escape.

I think CHKD is pretty realistic in its outlook. We don’t really fancy ourselves as being the best standup fighters, grapplers, weapons users, or anything, yet we try to have a decent level of training in all of those skills and the ability to switch back and forth in those skills, all while trying to stay within legal limits and levels of force. We are willing to entertain new ideas and try them out, regardless of where they come from (and we give credit to those).Luckily we have very experienced people who can help integrate those new techniques onto a Hapkido operating system.

Really?

Can you see where you could find yourself in trouble explaining this to a judge where you’ve been arrested for punching someone in the face because he grabbed your shirt. There’s a good chance there would even be a video of it. How would you explain that it was a reasonable amount of force that you used?

Let’s say he grabbed your shirt and you punched him in the face, breaking a tooth and he fell splitting his head open. Was that level of force justified?
    Now, would a bit of verbal de-escalation or maybe a joint lock been a better choice given his level of force?

There is a time and a place for standing locks… it happens to be at a lower level of force and intent than you will find in an MMA match. For certain situations, it can be invaluable.

11. Hannibal

Bas is a God amongst men, but I picked Erik and Frank for very specific reasons - both have an extensive background in weaponry. Erik specifically is a product of the Inosanto academy and trains with "Top Dog" as well

12. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

We do different simulations and drills in regular classes.

13. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

I agreed with most of you point of view until you got to this part. This varies from state to state so I'm going by the Sunshine States law.

If someone grabs you by the shirt (you messed up for letting them that close) it is implied that he/she is attacking you. Therefor; you may meet force with force including deadly force if you hold reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm.

Now, I'm 6'5", 255 pounds. I'm not going to allow someone to grab me by the shirt if I can help it. If he does because I was napping, I'll do what it takes to get him to let go.

Now, I don't study or teach martial arts so I can fight. I most likely will never be in another fight, ever. I train to stay in shape and to keep my mind sharp as I age. The bi-product of my training is I am less likely to be a victim of a crime.

Btw, it's great that your instructors go through steps to prevent a fight. I teach some of the same stuff. The best self-defense is to have no enemies.

14. jitz

jitz New Member

Here is a link for the law you are talking about:
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't think there was enough information given in the scenario for you to really make that judgement.

A lot may really depend on what the vocalizations were (was there a specific threat of bodily harm) and on the body language and on the testimony of any bystanders. A lot may depend on how it looks on any video there may be (phone or surveillance). A lot depends on the situation - what if its your drunk brother-in-law or someone else you know? The shades of gray really matter in terms of level of force (especially escalating to deadly force)

The guy grabbed your shirt - is this 'imminent peril of death or great bodily harm'? Would you kill him him (deadly force) for doing so? I don't think so. I bet you will go to the lowest level of force necessary to eliminate the threat. That may include a standing lock or a strike or a harsh word... I don't think I would escalate to deadly force unless I saw a weapon or really felt there was a threat to my life.

Again, we can speculate until the cows come home. The rule of thumb I use to use the least amount of force necessary to end the threat. I'd rather defend a painful wrist lock or breakaway in court than I would a punch in the face or kick in the groin (or deadly force as you mention). You really cannot predict how things will play out in court and I would prefer to have used a lower level of force than a higher. Leaving the made up scenario alone, would you agree with that?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  16. Sinmoo

Sinmoo Valued Member

Pressure test BJJ/MMA all you want, it's a sport not a reality. Mug them from behind with a knife in their throat many do not know what to do. Kick one in the head 10 times while he's trying to grapple another guy and see if he can survive at least.

I put my time in with BJJ and earned three blue belts from different clubs, the folks are great at what they do but it has limits, that's all.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Aside from pray, I would love to hear what Sinmoo teaches you if someone has a knife to your throat from behind.

You're pushing out arguments based on straw men and failing badly.

18. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

As my BJJ coach likes to say "There must have been a series of mistakes leading up to that"

Seriously, you shouldn't do Hapkido for self-defense anyway...you should do it because it looks cool.:eek:

19. Hannibal

How much firearms transition do you do? How many knife transitions? How much blunt force weaponry? What does you offer as a solution to that problem above that an MMA fighter cannot match? (Which is probably not the case anyway).

Blue is an acheivment but is a starter grade - it basically means you know which is your ass and which your elbow

You can't talk about reality based training when you are doing a codified system with a rank structure

20. klaasb

klaasb ....

I find this odd. Why did you need to 'bolt on' sparring? Wasn't it already there?

In our hapkido classes most time is spend sparring each other. (more than half the time mostly)

Why do we compare the lowest levels op hapkido (I got grabbed by the wrist and try a joint lock) with higher levels op other martial arts?

Every hapkido-ist knows (or I hope he knows (which is where I probably make a big mistake ;) )) that the basic joint locks are just that. Hey look, here is a joint, when you bent/twist/stretch it, it hurts. Nothing more, nothing less.