Colored Stripes!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Spookey, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Dear All,

I know the common tradition of Korean MA is for black belts to be defined not only by the actual belt, but also by some marking on the dobok. Also, seniority is often displayed in this way (assistance instructors, instructors, masters, etc.)

I would like to hear from the forum as to what colors you use for what reasons. I see this mainly in "independent" organizations. I see alot of red and blue stripes on the lapel.

Finally, the red stripe in the center of a black belt (not a poome belt) is generally utilized in Dang Soo Do as a master indicator. What is the new fad of Blue stripes down the center of the black belt...WHAT DOES THIS INDICATE AND WHERE DID IT ORIGINATE?

Taekwondo
    Spooks

2. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Ok original TKD or Chang Hon, ITF TKD as most know uses a plain white dobok that joins in the middle with either velcro or a zipper. It is not the karate/judo gis with the string ties across. We use black trim on the piping of the bottom of the shirt for BBs. Cerified international instructors also wear the black piping along the sides of the pants & shirt sleeves. Officially designated instructors also wear "instructor shoulder flashes" which look like military officer bars on the shoulders. They are on a yellow base that is square, with a white stripe for asst instructors 1st to 3rd Dan which indicates they can teach color belts. IIs 4th & above wear the same with an additional black stripe to indicate they are authorized to teach BBs as well. A master adds the color red stripe, with red symbolizing spirit, or the DO, which masters are responsible for teaching. Finally 9th Dan GMs add the blue stripe, as they are responsible for promoting world peace, as ITF TK-D aim is to "build a more peaceful world". Blue is the international color of peace, ie the UN Flag.
    The color white dobok is the traditional Korean costume color, with the black trim symbolic of the Korean color of the royal family hierarchy.

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I think the extra colours on the uniforms and belts comes from independent orgs trying to make themselves as different to others as possible.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think there is such a variety of uniforms out there, its up to the individual schools to decide what stripes mean and how they will be used.

5. miles

miles Valued Member

I've not seen the blue stripe on the belt and my students and I don't wear stripes on belts or anything on the dobok to designate rank. Is this an ITF or former ITF thing?

6. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Blue Stripes...

Dear All,

First to TkdStudent, thanks for the breakdown, I am very familiar with both ITF and WTF uniform standards. I will add that we can no longer consider only ITF to be "Chang Hun", the students of the original Ohdokwan, are the original Chang Hun, and they still wear the traditional dobok, with some wearing the V-neck.

Second, I have not yet seen a picture online, however each month there seems to be at least one in the mail in photo section of Taekwondo Times. I am unable to place it to a specific organization, however it has a very "American" look to it (along with 3" Karate Kid Headbands).

Taekwon!
    Spooks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

OK but just remember that the original Oh Do kwan was staffed by students of the Chung Do kwan & early on all they were really doing was karate, Korean karate or karate brougth to Korea by Koreans who studied in Japan.
    I am not sure when the term Chang Hon 1st appeared, but it is in the 1965 1st English book written on TKD to describe Gen Choi's forms or hyungs as they were then called. But even this book, complete with Gis was still very karate like.
    So I have no problem with using the Chang Hon term, but depending on how much contact the leader had with Gen Choi or when they broke away, if they were even with him or the ITF (1 in the same), will determine how updated they were with a system that had many radical changes from its karate base, as well as influences from boxing, judo/yudo, hapkido/aikido, wrestling
    etc.
    What Gen Choi left the world & how his followers train is a far cry from what was in the Oh Do kwan in 1954, when it opened. So it can be confusing to use the same labels to describe different systems & ways of performing within that described system. We see the confusion caused when the Tae Soo Do guys, a martial sport, accepted the name TKD in 1965.

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

The ITF does not wear stripes on the belt or through the belt. What they simply do is add a piece of colored tape to the belt, which lets the viewer know which grade they are. For example both an 8th gup & 7th gup wear a yellow belt. However you can tell the 7th grade yellow belt by the single piece of green colored tape that is afixed to their yellow belt. The color green in this case is used as green belt is the belt that 6th gup/kup/grade wears & is the next level they will advance to. Of course this process is repeated as a 5th gup green belt would have the color blue stripe/tag on 1 end of the green belt, etc. BBs do not wear colored pieces of tape. Instead they have Roman Numerals on the BB to indicate Dan or Degree level.
    Additionally a Junior BB is one that is under 13 yoa & they wear a half white & half black belt, symbolizing technical ability, while still lacking maturity. A Jr. BB is limited to only 1st Dan. They are not eligible for 2nd degree till 14.5 years old.

Now some companies make belts with full color stripes down the middle & some ITF schools buy these to give to their students instead of applying the piece of colored tape to the same belt. I guess they are trying to justify the price of the test or are trying to give more for the money or want to make it feel like the student has earned a new belt. However in original TKD there are only 6 colors of belt; white, yellow, green, blue, red & black; all of which have symbolisim with Korean culture & history. There simply is no such thing as a green stripe belt or a green tag belt. Rather it is simply a 7th gup yellow belt, with the colored tape applied to distinguish between 7th & 8th gups.
    I hope this helps

9. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

TkdStudent...

Dear Sir,

I completely agree...most of the "independants" in the United Stated use some rendition of the "Chang Hun Hyungs" and they are not remotely the original. The lineage I refer to as OhDoKwan are those in Korea still waiving the banner of Daehan Taekwondo Ohdokwan, the direct lineage of Choi Hong Hi, Hyun Jong Myung, Woo Jong Lim, Ee Byung Moo, etc. Chang Hun, prior to signwave, original 20 hyung, etc...the real Oh Do Kwan!

Thank you for your words of warning! I have read your posts for a time now, and we have been allies in thought and debate. I choose the combat function of Taekwondo Ohdokwan (moo sool, yoo sool, nak bop, kwan-jyel sool, etc.) utilizing hip twist, and natural motion (not saw tooth kara-te stepping, nor the "bounce of modern signwave"). Actually, that is all I new of Taekwondo until I began to travel and learned of the "basterdization" that occurs in all arts. The greatest comedic value is in the "evolution of Taekwondo" were persons have "added" grappling techniques, ground fighting, and boxing style punching to "create" a more realistic combat system. Basically, all this evolution has taken 60+ years to end up in the same spot it was -60 years ago!

TAE-KWON!
    Spooks

10. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

This is not only profound, but PRICELESS!
    Thanks for sharing it & stating it so well!!

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I can't imagine any martial art staying the same for 60 years. Mine changes patterns and format a couple of times a year it seems.

12. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I think we are straying OP here, but will add this:
    TKD has changed & does evolve constantly IMO & from my experience. Now whether you do TKD as a sport or a MA or somewhere in between, it has progressed & I think that this progress is very easy to see. Again what we have to determine 1st is what TKD style or we talking about?
    The Korean karate kwans started doing karate katas, then many switched to the 1st Korean patterns devised by Gen Choi & his soldiers in the military. Others did the forms devised by GM Hwang Kee. Later others did the Palgwe forms & now the TaeGeuk Poomsae. Of course the ITF forms started with 1 then grew to 25 by the early 1980s. The sports rules went from the continuous sparring of the ITF, devised by Gen Woo Jong Lim & the continuous rules of the WTF developed primarily by GM Lee Chong Woo of the JDK.
    Once these continuous rules came into play, muchg different from the karate stop match point system, the scoring requirements demanded innovation in order to be competitive.
    The previous point was that TKD started in the ROK Army as an effective system of SD that was in essence a mix of the MAs that were there at the time. Sadly the emphasis on the sport aspect by so many around the world, has led to many viewing TKD as a silly kicking game. As a result, many schools seem to invite outside Arts in, so their students can become more well rounded in SD. Which in effect, brings back TKD to its roots. So for some, it has taken 60 years to realize that TKD was a MMA for SD, not sport. The good thing that it is better later than never IMHO