cold shower

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by strider, May 27, 2007.

1. strider

strider Valued Member

is taking a cold shower after training in winter or summer something good or bad,i always heard that it strengthen and tightens the body,but is it healthy?

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Sounds like a good way to get muscle cramps.

3. SheBear

SheBear New Member

a cold shower is invigorating and increases blood circulation and tightens the pores. However, you should start with a warm/hot shower and then finish with a minute of cold. The warm water will open up your pores while you sopa yourself and then the cold will tighten them. Doing this with your hair will also make it shinier (hey, the girls might care!)This apparently is good for cleanliness. Again, the temperature change between hot and cold is good for you. I don't know about STRENGTHENING the body though ...

the cold shower during winter isn't bad for you per se, it's what you do aftewards that might be, like sitting in draughty areas or going outside right after with we hair.

But any switch between temperature extremes isn't good for the body and its functioning, so take that as you will.

4. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I would agree here, also keep in mind that during training you may (or may not i suppose) sweat profusely. This is a great way for your body to rid of toxins (as well as it is obviously it's own cooling mechanism) So by taking a cold shower immediately after training you are effectively shutting your pores and stopping your body from doing something it already naturally does.

I like the idea of a warm-hot shower first to give the muscles a chance to relax and keep their elasticity, then maybe finish with a cold for a minute or so. Though also keep in mind some people can be really sensitive to quick temp. changes and you could be one of them.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've always been keen on cold showers. I got in the habit from traveling in places where hot water was available... so the cold shower is a good way to wake up. It's also a good way to get a nice little second wind of sorts after a grueling workout.

I hop in the shower for a quick bit of hot water if available and then I usually go for several minutes of cold as cold as I can take it. I've never noticed a problem with cramping up.

When I hit the sauna and massage I'll spend about a half hour doing jacuzzi to the cold plunge. Feels fantastic. :)

I remember reading somewhere that one of the oldest living men in Japan put his longevity down to cold showers and a glass of whiskey in the morning. I'm doing pretty good by living by that rule myself. :D

6. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

One word: Shrinkage. :eek: :p

7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

HAHAHAHA

Its good for us gals as it makes our boobies perkier :D

8. slipthejab

speaking of cold showers... I've got to go take one now... :p

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh, cold showers make my nipples bigger than my Johnson...but a bit of flossing with the towel when i get out of the shower soon puts some life back in the little fella... :eek:

I like cold showers, but I find I can only really get one in the summer. Ive never had any problems with cramp or anything.

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

H...

Do you have to tell us sooo much detail?? :p :eek:

11. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

This thread = horrofying

12. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

You mean your nipples grow to 1.5 inches?

:p

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

rotflmao :D :p

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just have one thing to say : Family site guys and this is going wayyyy off topic. ;)

15. slipthejab

horrifying even... :p

16. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Back to topic..

I always have a shower/hair wash with fairly warm water...finishing with cold water for the last couple of mins...invigorating....and makes your hair shiny. ;)

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

No.

Only 1/2" :eek:

On topic,

I always start off warm then go cold to close up the skin pores ;)

But cold or hot, i always feel great after a shower.

18. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I might be wrong, but I think cold showers could have a positive impact on the metabolism

19. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I agree.

But then we could both be wrong HAHA.

Makes me feel good. I rest my case! :D

20. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter