Cnn

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Brad Ellin, May 28, 2006.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

So, does anyone know what happened to CNN.com? Heck, I can't even get it here at the hotel. I went to the website and it's for sale (along with tribalfusion.com and travelocity.com) anyone know what's happening??

2. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Someone hacked a dns server?

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I just got it to pull up fine. Must be a problem on your end?

4. xen

xen insanity by design

same here, seems to be working fine.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

woiks fer me....

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Must be something on this end, because I also got it for PayPal when following a link. Logging on to PayPal was okay, using the secure site, but following a link was not.

7. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Symantec Antivirus Version 10 hack possible

Are you using Norton Antivirus 10?

Company: Hackers can crack top antivirus program
    Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs, researchers said Thursday.

Hackers can crack top antivirus program

Attached Files:

8. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Best way to check is this,

Click the start button.

Click Run.

Type in CMD and press enter.

A command prompt window opens up.

Type PING WWW.CNN.COM and press enter.

An address should show up of what your dns server says that www.cnn.com is in terms of an ip address. For me, it shows up as 64.236.24.20. You can put that address in the address bar for your computer, such as http://64.236.24.20/ and the cnn website should show up. If it does, the problem is with your dns server.

9. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Got CNN to open this way, thanks. Not my computer, hotel (in Angola) computer. Using my browser and anti-virus (thanks Saz).

10. freak

freak Valued Member

it worked for me first try

11. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Seeing how you you are located in a hotel and getting your Internet access there, I would guess that it has been hacked. If you have a firewall on your computer, hopefully, it is updated. If you need some assistance, you can pm me.

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Well, it has McAfee Anti-virus installed. That's about all I can tell you, everything is in Portugeuse, and I don't read Portugeuse. I tried checking to see if the comps firewall is on, based on my memory of my OS, but got nowhere. I figured, if it's happening to all 3 comps in the hotel's Business Center, maybe it's a bigger problem than the hotel? However, knowing that anyone can download anything and the degree of technical experience (I know more about computers than their computer guy) that just about anything can happen to these machines. They wan't let us plug our laptops into the highspeed connection, it's a test program. There is no 'net access in te rooms, that provider is experiencing problems. Again. For the 100th time this year.

Welcome to Angola.

13. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Ahh, out of town I see.

My dad had problems connecting to "hot mail" in Costa Rica. The "www" did not work.

He had to add the "http://" then type in the normal address.

Maybe it is an out of country thing?

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  14. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

No. That isn't how name resolution works.

15. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

It's gotten worse. Now, MAP is for sale. Unless I type in the IP address. I said something to the hotel desk and the manager, but they have no idea what I'm talking about, even when I show them. I'm at my laptop now, which does not use Nortona and is firewalled.

Any suggestions as to how I can report this to the ISP? I imagine that's where the hack is, but I cannot get any info out of the hotel staff. Typical attitude over here, "He's a mechanic, what does he know about computers?" That and the fact I'm American, they do more than ignore you, they just pretend you're not there (yep, several times). Can't access work email, several news sites and the hackers seem to be adding more and more everytime I go online.

I'm in Luanda, Angola. We have 2 seperate ISPs for the hotel, the Business Center has a Broadband connection thru one ISP and the rooms have dial up thru another. The Manager says it's none of my business as to who the ISP is, so he won't give it.

HELP!

16. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Well you can change your dns server.

Click the start button.

Click Run.

Type in CMD and press enter.

A command prompt window opens up.

Type in IPCONFIG and press enter. You will see your IP address listed as well as your default gateway. Record those two numbers.

Go into the control panel and choose Network Connections. Highlight the appropriate connection and right click on it and choose properties.

In the middle box, highlight Internet Protocol and choose properties.

If it is available, choose in the second set of addresses, choose to enter a name server address. Put in 65.32.5.74 as the address. Choose apply. Ok. Close.

This should resolve to good addresses but it will be slower. If it doesn't, then put the setting back to Obtain Name Server address automatically. Most places limit who can access the name server so that hacking is minimized. I don't know if that particular one will allow you to use it off their network and I really don't know any for sure that will definitely work because it is basically sloppy on the network admin's part if it does.

17. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

One other thing you can check is you have a hosts file that has all the sites in it. Do a search for a text file called hosts. There will be no extension. Use notepad to edit it. cnn.com and those types of sites should not be in it. If it is, then someone has used a trojan on your computer. But since you mention it affects multiple computers, it is not likely.

18. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Is thaat for the IP or DNS address? I figured that was for the DNS and to keep the original IP address, correct?

19. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

yep, for the dns address and keep the original ip address

20. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Didn't work. Couldn't even log onto the network after making the changes. Strange thing, on the Business Center comp, typing in CNN.com gave me that for sale page and using the IP address got me to the site. On my laptop from the room, typing CNN.com takes me to the page.

So far.