Closing & Openning the "Gaps"

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Chase, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Chase

Chase New Member

In my practice of Tai Chi & other arts I've been aware of Tai Chi's emphasis on openning those gaps to invite a committed atack only to close that hole with a strike, throw, or lock. How do you feel about this "twisting & releasing" of energy? :)

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

It boils down to a quote in the classics - "if he doesn't move, I don't move. If he moves, I move first". Also, the taiji principles of leading into emptiness and flowing around/through the opponent instead of trying to resist their force.

3. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi nzric, Tai Chi has helped me understand the martial arts a lot better, heping me to integrate them into a cohesive, functional system of philosophy as well as technique, both empty hand & weapons. My Tai Chi Sword form has acted as a bridge of understanding between my TCC & may Kali. ;)

4. Mad Yakker

Mad Yakker Valued Member

Hi Chase,

What are the understanding between TCC & may Kali??

rgds

Mad

5. Mad Yakker

Mad Yakker Valued Member

Hi Chase,

How do u release energy??

6. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi Mad, I learned the sword form with a gim/straight sword, & being in the wheelchair he had to change the ford motion of the form to more circular, so I kept getting it stuck in the wheel. Kali came into my life about that time, & one of the fundamental concepts of the art is "use charecteristics of the weapon," which means to me to use any weapon while staying as close to the original movement as possible, so now my sword form "breathes" with whatever is in hand. :D
    Now as to the energy release; it's still pretty much the same as stepping Tai Chi, but I don't have the vertical lift from my knees in a push, it's more lateral winding it around my body more. ;)
    Ingat ka, [take care]