Classic Fights

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I like to argue this shows that reach is not so important as skill, in terms of champion-making in pugilism.

Floyd Mayweather has a humble 72" reach. And as seen in the KO video above, one of the greatest strikers in human history had 1.5" less.

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

European Heavyweight title fight between Dick Richardson and Brian London, 1960. What makes this fight special is how the fight devolves into a circus of chaos.

The commentary is great. I wish all boxing commentary was delivered this way.

3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Muhammad Ali ahem Cassius Clay vs. Floyd Patterson, I and II. These two fights and their surrounding history is so complex and dynamic (including Black on Black racism), it's hard to sum it up. Thankfully, I found this video which brings it all together. "pulling the wings off a butterfly".

4. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello. 14 rounds.

The rematch. Yes, that is Jack Nicholson in the yellow suit.

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

George Foreman vs. Ionas Chepulis, at the 1968 Olympics. The "highlight of George's life", according to the commentators. I thought that was funny, because I used to own a George Foreman Grill. :D

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Here's a great fight.

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Still no quote button.

Just wanted to remind folks that Pryor vs Arguello 1 was actually Arguello vs. a truckload of cocaine (up Pryor's nose).

Grond likes this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I try to stay away from the bitter nuances of individual fighter's demons, addictions, plagues, whatever. It's enough to keep anyone busy for a whole lifetime. Instead, I like to focus on the willpower required to even glove up. It's always encouraging in a way. When you learn the why's later on and understand each fighter is first and foremost a human being, you begin to let go a little. Of the condemnation, I mean.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It isn't a matter of demons or that Pryor was a human being but a matter of a championship being fought with one participant extremely chemically enhanced. I don't care about,and am not going to give a pass because someone had the willpower to even glove up. I care about fights being about the abilities of the fighters,and being jacked up is.......cheating.Big time.Like putting a steel bar in your glove. Would you stay away from the bitter nuances if someone did that? This isn't about an individual's jerkish behavior outside the ring,like LaMotta smacking his wife around or Ali calling other fighters Toms, it's about a particular behavior having a direct and immediate effect in a particular ring at a particular time.

It was pretty obvious by Pryor's behavior when he entered the ring that something was rotten in the state of Denmark. We didn't have much doubt as we watched about what was going on.

Pryor got it together and he and Arguello became very close. But I'm not going to let go of my "condemnation" as you put it,because there were two people involved in a BIG sporting match and one of them wasn't playing cricket.Seriously,I don't have a grudge against the guy, just that this fight is TAINTED.Ain't no way 'round it.

All those steroided sluggers and pitchers some years ago kinda ruined some of the the baseball records,rendering them meaningless.

Yeah,they're human,they wanted to win,to be on top,to get into the record books.Very human,indeed.

I don't care.Still sucks.

Grond likes this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I can respect that. I got a haircut earlier today, my first since Winter, and my barber was watching the classic Tyson vs. Ferguson fight. I might have posted that one here already, but I'm too lazy to check so I'll just post it again. Anyway, he was so impressed by the young Tyson, and so was I. This fight is a good window into Tyson (17-0 all by KO at the time!!!!) before his fall. Good for him today though he's kind of picked himself up and is looking better than ever.

This was taken of him just today or yesterday, he turned 54 on Tuesday. Not bad for an old retired boxer. :D

[​IMG]

11. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This notable underdog, Dave Bailey, was Muhammad Ali's sparring partner. Philly produces some of the best fighters of all time, don't they?

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

axelb and Grond like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Apparently before he fought the other night, he smoked pot, which wasn't tested for, and still performed. Damn, what have I been missing out on in my nutritional routine...apparently it's like Popeye's spinach for some people.

Now I have to watch the fight again. It's hard to believe he would do so well stoned, but I have an open mind...

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've never understood this, I used to dable in my younger days and all I wanted to do was stare at the ceiling and eat Doritos.

I guess it's different for others, but I've never felt anything more than useless under the influence.

Edit:
    I also wonder that as a business man who is currently in the business of farming marijuana, it probably bodes well to market it in this manner.

Grond likes this.
  15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I don't wanna say too much but I knew a guy who won a totally legit and recognized championship - while tripping on acid.

I think I'd rather pick a fight with an entire motorcycle gang.

Grond likes this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This was a good, even matchup.

17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Say,Grond. I realize this post is almost a year old but I'd like to say that everybody I know who was in combat in the 'Nam and indulged said no matter how stoned they were once the shooting started they didn't notice being stoned. "The moment"-or adrenaline?- kinda overrode the THC,regardless of how high octane it was.Not that they were doing Nepalese Temple Balls.

Not speaking of the guys who were shooting up,of course.Different ball o' wax there.