Christianity, bullying, and gay straight alliances.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Feb 4, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Because they see themselves as the moral authority in society. When secular society ignores them they become irrelevant. It one more little bit of the power they have left being taken away from them. It's like telling an American they no longer have the right to own a gun. They see it as their birth right.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

That could be one reason, but there is another reason or more.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well would you care to elaborate? I'm really not that good at charades or reading people's minds from thousands of miles away.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In the case of the Anglican church it's simply the use of the word marriage. They have no objection to an expansion of civil unions or elevating them to the same legal status as marriage, indeed the bishops in the house of lords voted for civil partnerships in the first place.
    Marriage is problematic because they have a teaching on what marriage is which they need to protect. However, they are also an institution that performs marriages, and a key element of English life is the recognition of religious marriages. If same sex marriages become the law, it becomes difficult for churches to legally not have them. This would probably then lead to separation of legal and religious marriage, creating a situation as in France where religious people have to get married twice. This would have several knock-on effects for the church.

5. 47MartialMan

Thanks. I as getting close to saying it was a matter of money and not principle.

Although the "church" would have its followers believe it is all about the "principle"

6. Ben Gash CLF

While there are financial implications to this, it might also create new opportunities. Financially one of the big problems for the Church of England is it's heritage churches. Without weddings to pay for them, these may well have to be abandoned, which while from a heritage point of view would be a shame, moves to cheaper, more modern premises would help to change the image of the Anglican church.

7. 47MartialMan

However, the church has a "double-edge sword".

On one edge, they can create opportunities.

On the other edge-hand, that had instilled such a mind set to its other followers, that they could "lose" these followers if they swayed to the other edge-direction

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nonsense. The government has already stated very clearly that churches would not be expected to carry out same-sex marriages.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Why would it be a matter of money? I mean I can understand that from the couples point of view where they might get some sort of tax relief. But not from the church's point of view?

10. 47MartialMan

Because the church does not desire to go against its initial principle for fear of losing existing followers

The church is looking to get revenue from the couples, but cannot lose said revenue from the other followers

Simply, the more followers a "church" has, the more revenue

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wait, what church that opposes homosexual marriages takes that position for financial reasons?

12. Ben Gash CLF

This is a short sighted view, and also a sweeping generalisation. Elements within the government are highly critical of that proposal, and once the law is changed, even with an exemption clause, how long until the exemption is legally challenged?
    Indeed, from the Telegraph (not ideal as it's from a particularly right wing column, but it's late and I needed to find something)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. 47MartialMan

Because once they have a congregation formed, which were initially opposed, they cannot reverse this as they would loose the following-hence loose a financial tie-in

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

The government shouldn't be dictating who you can get married to. However since we have people who obviously have a problem with what other people do with their lives, we need some laws to bring the dinosaurs into the 21st century. To me this issue really isn't that different from when whites and non-whites were not allowed to get married. Even today many marriages are still same race. If gays were allowed to get married there would hardly be a noticeable change and in 40 years from now, much like the issue of inter-racial marriage, no one would give a crap about it, including most bigots.

15. 47MartialMan

But it just isn't the government, it is also the religious zealots

16. aikiMac

This is an English-language forum, dude. We'll all thank you, and expect you, to write your posts in English.

I don't know what you said, but I am completely certain that you did not answer my question even though you quoted it. For starters, "what church" is not answered with "because." :woo:

17. AndrewTheAndroid

Any Church that stands to gain financially, directly or indirectly from their followers. That is what I think he was trying to say. If they lost followers they would have less money coming in from donations, real estate, and probably on tax deductions/exemptions and what ever business ventures they are involved in.

For example, the Catholic church was (allegedly) involved in a money scandal about 30 years ago. They are basically a money making business(in fact they even have a bank), so to think that financial decisions don't influence their decisions is naive. No offence intended.

18. aikiMac

Thank you for the translation. However, it's sounds like you (or he) is speculating that the Catholic Church (that being the only one that you mentioned by name) is maintaining this particular 2000-year tradition because this particular 2000-year tradition makes money for the Catholic Church.

And I emphasize the word "speculating."

Sorry, but that doesn't hold water. We could just as well have a thread called "Christianity, bullying, and male priests," and then speculate that a couple days ago Pope Benedict reaffirmed that he wants to keep women out of the priesthood because keeping that particular 2000-year-old tradition makes more money for his Church.

And I would go, "Huh? Say what? It'd be just the opposite. The Catholic Church would get a ton more money if it allowed female priests!"

We could just as well have a thread called "Christianity, bullying, and no artificial contraception," and then speculate that several times Pope Benedict reaffirmed that particular teaching of the Roman Catholic Church because, again, keeping it makes more money for his Church.

And again I would go, "Huh? Say what? The Church has alienated people because of this teaching, and everyone knows Roman Catholics who do not follow this teaching!"

No, there's no reason at all to think that the RCC is sticking with it's controversial position concerning homosexuals, in order to get more money. I don't "buy it," to make a pun.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

They are a world wide, multi-million dollar organization that has their own bank. That is enough to tell me how much money influences them. Not to mention all of the scandals they've been involved in and their murky history.

20. aikiMac

The RCC also has it's own country; of course, then, it has a bank. You're ignoring the evidence, amigo. :dunno: