[Choi Kwang Do] blocks vs punches & kicks

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Wynnston, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Apologies if this has been addressed before, I did a search on it but found nothing on MAP or Google.

Up to first Dan, including left & right, front & rear and spinning variants, there are (I think) 42 separate, offensive hand techniques and 44 separate leg techniques in the current CKD syllabus. However, there are only 6 distinct blocks and they're only with the arms.

Why? Given that self defence is one of the aims of CKD, shouldn't there be more blocks, including the use of legs which are stronger than arms? I know more blocks are introduced later on, but they can't be more difficult to learn than spinning kicks and would probably be a whole lot more use in a self defence situation.

Is it a case of attack is the best form of defence?

W

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I think there are roughly 8 to 10 blocks altogether.
    The blocks cover all of the body, against different attacking techniques.
    Yes once we've blocked one, two if you're very lucky our training leads us to counter - offence.

An instructor once said to us "Any block that does it's job is a good block" no matter how it looks outside.

I do kinda like the muay thai type block with the leg but thats just personal preference.

3. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Thanks morphus,

I'm talking about blocks up to the first Dan grading that I'm aware of - outward, inward, lower (L & R). What are the other 2-4?

I know the blocks cover all the body, I know they work on hand and foot techniques (at least sometimes) and I'm not worried about what they look like. But, I still reckon I would rather use a leg in some situations and surely a couple more hand/arm blocks wouldn't go amiss? I often find in defence drills when faced with sequential hand and foot techniques it is very difficult to try and counter them all with a single arm technique even if there's no contact and even if I'm moving backwards at a real pace! Could be my lack of experience but still........

Are we allowed to do the muay thai type leg block or is that for the street only?!

Regards

W

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If you want to use a leg then feel free, personally I prefer to move out of the way rather than put a leg in the way, its much harder to deflect with a leg rather than simply take the full force.

Remember, move off as well as moving back (unless you're working in straight lines). You're not just trying to stop their technique from hitting you, you're also trying to make sure that you're not in a position to be hit. Angle off as you block, and circle around.

Rather than trying to counter each technique, simply watch for an opening and use it, or at least spot it (depending on the defense drill countering could be innappropriate). Adding more hand arm blocks in does happen, but why bother? They all do the same job and cover the same areas. As I've been told many times, K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple Stupid. No need to double up on techniques when there're other things to focus your training on.

I wouldn't recommend it personally, I just don't like trying to absorb blows with bits of my own body. I much prefer to just redirect them.

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

"I just don't like trying to absorb blows with bits of my own body. I much prefer to just redirect them"

This much is true but if it's a natural last minute reaction then why not?

Better than blocking with your groin. LOL

As for finding it difficult blocking & countering moving backwards - it's prob' better to angle off & counter, it creates an opening as well as getting you out of the way of the impending strike.

6. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

The idea of blocking with the legs (knee or shin really) in my experience is best used to pre-empt a kick. For example you see your opponent chambering for a kick and you step in toward them and raise a knee, blocking their kick before it can be extended. It is mightily effective and does not hurt at all if you are quick enough, CKD approved or not.

I guess the idea for having only a few CKD blocks is to keep it simple. By practising these blocks for 3-4 years before BB they become second nature. From my limited CKD experience most CKD-ers tend to get out of the way/angle off as opposed to staying close and blocking. Problem with this is having to make up the distance for countering effectively, buts that a whole different subject...................

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ah, okay. I thought you meant literally blocking with the leg, as in putting it in the way. You can also do the 'kick prevention' with other techniques, heel front kick is a good one. The one drawback is that if they're faster than you, they will get the kick off, and you'll be precariously balanced or just stepping back down as it connects.

Angling off doesn't have to involve moving away, you can also angle into a person while moving off their technique, setting yourself up for rather nice counters.