Chinese self defense on subway

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by slipthejab, Jan 1, 2015.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Well here's a handy way to start the new year. The clip is labelled:

Real Kung fu!!!!A Chinese Tai chi man fights on subway.... not so sure if anyone really knows of it's just hoping so. Whatever it is... the takedown is very slick. Nice decisive technique.

Discuss.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_kdGe8Ljc"]Real Kung fu!!!!A Chinese Tai chi man fights on subway."太æžé«˜æ‰‹"æ•™ä½ æ€Žä¹ˆæ”¾å€’æ•Œäººï¼ - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice.

I think the lad being shouted at looked confident from the outset.

Foolhardy to leave his hands in his pockets, but dealt with nicely at the end.

Beautifully executed technique.

3. slipthejab

Yes I thought that too at first. Though if I think about it... in most of the fights I've ever seen in China they never really seem to kick off until someone loses faces. Which is usually preceded with lots of yelling and in your face finger wagging. Which I think it's in part why his technique here was so clean and efficient. The other guy thought it'd be coming along 15 minutes later than it did. :D

4. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

Very nice work. He could have smashed the lad in his face but that would have done more harm than good. It looked like he had decided what he was going to do the next time the right handed push came and moved into a space to execute it

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Yeah I realy liked that technique :) not sure quite what it was he did but it was pretty cool. Doesn't look like the kid in the hoody had a nice landing tho lol

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Looked suspiciously like the wrist-lock throw from a lapel grab that people laugh at ninjas for practising to me.

Hands in pockets isn't smart, but you could see he was protecting himself from a possible headbutt when the aggressor got in range.

7. slipthejab

Yeah the Chinese aren't really much into headbutts.

8. David Harrison

Why do you reckon he was angling his head like that then? I can't think of anything else that fits what I'm seeing as well. When you've got a shorter guy barking at you like that, that's exactly the kind of head position you need to avoid getting cracked in the face.

What's your take on what you see?

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nice! That's about all I can say :)

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

First off, I believe "hoodies" should be internationally banned. They are the cause of good folks going bad (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek). I felt the little head bob, though ill advised, was a way to maneuver into a more advantageous position perhaps? Agree w/ the hands in pockets statements from everyone. Nice lock and throw. Well timed and, obviously, well executed.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So Kung fu peeps , is that tai chi technique ?

13. David Harrison

Good spot. I couldn't see that on my phone.

That film has the best dialogue ever! :)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

From 3:40. Demonstrated by Aegis and Johnno during a Robert Agar Hutton Tai Chi session at the 2014 MAP Meet.

Although done one the outside line, it's exactly the same move as in Slip's video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCN1eIWdz4"]MAP Meet 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Yeah , I'm in the background doing the same thing , but , to me that's more like ikyo from Aikido , I was more interested in the inside version as shown in the video as I've been shown similar stuff , as a bunkai for soto uke in Karate for example , and was wondering if it was an "official" Tai chi technique .

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I've seen a few of the Taiji guys I've trained with use it in sparring but I can't remember what it's called. It was always an under used technique.

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@bassai: it's certainly variably applicable to the biomechanics of at least three yang taiji movements, possibly more from other styles (and that doesn't even account for variation in between schools within the same style :p). i'm thinking repulse monkey, brush knee and push, and punch down, all of which start from almost the same setup and then you turn and one hand goes out while the other drags or pulls. doesn't mean it's actually taiji though (but doesn't mean it isn't. it certainly helps pull these sorts of things off even if you don't do a textbook technique)

as for "official"... there's less official applied taiji than there is official karate bunkai (the formal moves themselves are downright arcane and often so abstract they make krotty kata look like RBSD, so it could be pigeonholed into an infinity of postures and movements which use a similar motor pattern).

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Respectfully, no not any of those three. Repulse monkey is a chest push while stepping backwards,. Brush knee is a push forward (uprooting a bit) while stepping forward. Punch low, well it's a punch.

I think it looks like a variation of roll back - part of the most used Yang sequence "grasp sparrows tail." He grabs the elbow instead of using his forearm- like in the forms, but the basic mechanics are most similar to what I can think of right now.

We have this move in CLF too. With the double grab. Gads, I can't think of the name of it right now. When I wake up, hopefully it will come to me.

19. Fish Of Doom

that's why i said it was variably applicable to the biomechanics of them, not that it was any of them ;). i always maintain that in any sort of engagement (whether fight, sparring, live drills or whatever) you never use any techniques from anything, because formal techniques are solo training exercises. what you do is do something with your body and your environment, to yoru opponent's body, that may or may not be conditioned by the techniques you train, and how you train them. a dumb example is my karate punch. i am a fanatic devotee of the basic krotty tsuki, which is a straight when trained, but when i use it it's a hook (my straights are generally more taiji-like*, but let's not get into how a tai chi man punches :D). there are also massively different ways of doing the same technique depending on the school, let alone the style. "vanilla" yang alone has at least three different sub-lineages each with their peculiarities. i've done yang in two different places, and both did repulse monkey differently, for example. at the end of the day it's just different abstract permutations of a pull and a push, and i'd say what matters taiji-wise is that you're expressing taiji principles correctly, not that you're doing the postures from the form (not that i'm any good at it myself :'( ).

*building on a northern shaolin base, but really, it's the same punch at different ranges.

20. Fish Of Doom

also, here are some wu style permutations of the push pull:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgH0QGsZQE"]wu style applications -shou hui pi pa - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3sVxqaPpk"]wu style apps- gao ta ma. - YouTube[/ame]

although none are applied to the forearm on the inside as in the OP, the basic principle is the same, and all it takes is for the lower hand to grab the wrist and twist out (to twist forearm, arm, shoulder, and then torso), the lower body to unbalance, and the top hand to tip the guy over

which still doesn't mean the original clip actually features a taiji dude, but meh :p