[China] can anyone help with a translation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by chip, Aug 9, 2007.

1. chip

chip New Member

i am a practitioner of shaolin white crane kung fu, and also work as a crisis counselor. i have a few volunteers, and i wanted to present them with a shirt that says "I am here" in chinese characters. does anyone how to write this, or know anyone that does? i would very much appreciate it.

with gratitude,
    chip

2. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Wo zai zher

我在這兒

"I located here" is the transliteration of this. But its how you would say it.

3. chip

chip New Member

thank you so much! my volunteers are gonna love the shirts. thanks again, i am very much in your debt!
    chip

4. hamihaha

hamihaha New Member

In simplified Chinese (used in Shaolin temple) it's 我在这儿 or 我在那儿.
    You have a nice audio Chinese dictionary!
    Pronunciation is something like "wo dzie jer".

5. Wuming

Wuming Bored

我在那儿.
    This means "I am there"

我在这儿
    This is the correct translation (in simplified Chinese characters)

6. daftyman

If Nar has the third tone then it's Where am I?

There's part of me that wants to stick with the trad. characters, but only doing the audio at the mo.

7. Wuming

Wuming Bored

For it to mean "where am I", the 那儿 should have the radical "kou" (mouth;to indicate a question and make it the third tone. As Hamihaha wrote it, it means "I am there". Sorry, I can't type Chinese on my computer, just copy and paste!). Anyway, the original question "I am here" is definitely 我在这儿.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. daftyman

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  9. hamihaha

hamihaha New Member

10. daftyman

I guess since about January (Yi Yue). Someone gave me a copy of the Pimsleur course and I am at lesson 21 of stage 3, so wondering what I'm going to do next.

Got my eye on this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Wri...TF8&coliid=I15LIKPRSHRMVJ&colid=336LOLS7HKYPO

Had a look at it in Waterstones, looked pretty good, then after that I'll transcribe the Pimsleur stuff and then figure where to go from there.

I've enjoyed the Pimsleur course. Not big on vocabulary, more the tools and grammar. The vocab will come soon enough I reckon. Want to learn the calligraphy too and I want to stay with the traditional script as that's what I see in my old taiji books, plus I think it looks better.

I should probably try to find a proper course somewhere nearby to really get to grips with this though.