Chi Sau in Karate????

Discussion in 'Karate' started by johndoch, Dec 10, 2003.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Well I went to try a local Karate club the other night and found myself doing chi sau drills (although nobody called it this).

Advanced students were doing breakfalls and I was told that clinchwork and grappling takes place on one of the other nights of training. Supposedly there's a few Judoka at the club.

I was also shown the first Kata and worked some one step sparring (never seen any continious fighting).

Is this common to Karate or do you think this sounds like a progressive system???

Anyways I will go for a few weeks before commiting myself.

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi John

Chi Sao? Clinch work? Breakfalls?

I'd say you've been lucky enough to find an extremely progressive karate club.

Mike

P.S. Of course I would say that - these are exactly the sort of exercises we were working on in our club last night.

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Thanks Mike

Its seems like a good club.

Very friendly with a good mix of students.

Its looking promising I intend to go to thursdays class and see how it goes.

The styles called Shoto Budo and seems to be part of a pretty small organisation.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

As far as Chi Sau in Karate, I had the benefit of getting to participate in a Goju Ryu Karate workshop with Sensi Chuck Merriman (I don't believe he uses the title Master). One of the first drills we worked on was, for lack of a better description, a Chi Sau type exercise (though different from traditional Wing Chun Chi Sau).

Personally I think if you look to the earlier forms of Karate, like Goju Ruy you'll see a lot of "Chinese" aspects like that in them. In factit's one of the reasons that I love participating in Karate Seminars like the one I mentioned. I often get a better understand of the Kung Fu that I do looking at the more streamlined versions of the moves I see in Karate.

- Matt

5. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Goju uses an exercise called Kakie (ka key eh)
    that is sort of like a chi sao type of drill.

rob

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I have a feeling that might have been it. It was funny, it befuddled most of the Japanese praticitioners at the workshop. The Chinese folks took to it like fish to water. :)

- Matt

7. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

"I have a feeling that might have been it. It was funny, it befuddled most of the Japanese praticitioners at the workshop. The Chinese folks took to it like fish to water. :)"

I am not surprised, When KARATE was brought to Japan from Okinawa much of the Chinese influence was removed. That is when the it was made to be all hard kick / punch. Much of the flow, grappling , ground work which is the heart of much of the KATA BUNKAI was changed. EX. In a KATA what many JAPANESE see as a down block of a kick/low punch , Okinawain stylist will see as a regrab of the arm , a take down, repostion of the arm as a setup of the next technique. A sayaing I like,

A BLOCK , IS A STRIKE , IS A LOCK , IS A THROW

8. Killerbee

Killerbee New Member

Actually, what is called Chi Sao in chinese systems is also a fundamental part of okinawan karate, which is named Kakie.