Chen Style

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by TiachiJ, Dec 10, 2003.

1. TiachiJ

TiachiJ New Member

I am interested in taking Chen Style Tai Chi. I was wondering about Chen Style. What is the form like? How many movements is it (I see different numbers when I been checking it out)? Is there different styles of Chen Style (well is one teahers form the same as another, or maybe down the line they were changed). How many forms would you learn in Chen Style (ex., long form, short form, sword form, etc)? What is the most popular for of Chen Style? Oh, my knees are not the best, and I am in my 30's, should that stop me from taking it. Anything else I should know about it? Thank you.

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Try a Google search for Chen style - there's a lot of info out there.

If you want your practice to become a long-term thing, I'd think twice about Chen style because of your knees. Chen has the lowest stance of the major styles and it has a lot of fajing (whipping) motion, and you could have some problems later on.

Just don't put your knees beyond your toes.

3. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Chen tends to be done faster and harder than yang and wu. It is arguably the most combat efficient, but I wouldn't want to defend that point of view. I suspect that it simply looks the most lethal.

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

At the end of the day it has nothing to do with the art but rather the man behind the art... I am not a Chen stylist, however, I respect all the internal styles equally.

Chen would not be the go if you have knee issues, it is agreed. Try doing some broad research before you settle on a style.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  5. Hugh

Hugh New Member

Id just like to make a few comments on the subject of knees and chen style tai chi. As i understand it, having weak knees does not bar you from practicing the style. I am 21 and have minor difficulties with my knees, but my instructor tells me that after a while, your legs wil naturally become stronger and the pressure on your knees will lessen.

in chen it isnt essential to do the form at a ridiculously low level anyway, so long as you maintain the same height during the form. My deputy-instructor is 67 years old - proof that chen is not just for the young.

It is true that chen style is harder and faster than the yang, wu or sun styles, but that is how tai chi should be; a blend of fast and slow, hard and soft. Id highly recommend this style of tai chi to anyone who wants to attain the health benefits of the art and to be able to handle themselves fighting-wise at the same time.