Changes in the WTF/Kukkiwon patterns

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Artikon, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Once again another heads up. There will be some changes coming to the WTF/Kukkiwon patterns in the next couple months. Kukkiwon has reviewed the patterns and will be releasing the changes in approx
    5-6 weeks and the changes will filter down similar to when the palgwae poomse were retired in exchange for the Taegeuk. As for the changes, I have no idea what they are yet, but again I'll keep ya'll informed when I get new information.

Cheers

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

yes, definitely keep us informed!

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Again! That is all bunch of bull @#$%. They gotta stop changing these little detail in form every year. Anything they change I dont really care anymore, I'll still do what I do.:eek:

4. Artikon

I don't think these are little changes Andy, they were filming new dvds and kukkiwon textbook is being redone

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Oh yeah? Keep us inform when you know about it:p

6. Artikon

No problem. Like I said probably 5-6 weeks until it is officially pasted down from KKW to the masters around the world, and then it will start to filter down from there. Not sure when I will find anything out, I'm hoping though I'll be up to speed in 8-10 weeks. At least that's my goal

7. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Just great .. were in production of a CGI dvd for poomse, using the latest kukkiwon reference, and they go and change it again.

Oh well im sure they cant change the way we execute the techniques can they ?

Stoppy

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

why r they changing them?

9. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

progression ??

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

ok, sure progression. when was the last time they were changed?

11. Artikon

I believe why they are changing the poomse are to make sure application of techniques are more realistic. I like the idea of this progression personally, although I'm not sure how it will pan out. I do know that about 2 years ago they were going to throw out the taegeuk poomse and replace the series with a whole new set. That was scrapped however.

When was the last time a drastic changed happened? I think probably when the palgwae were retired, but that was before my time, so I'm not entirely sure.

12. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Where did you hear this from. A friend of mine does WTF TKD and wanted to know.

13. Artikon

The provincial governing body I belong to just had their AGM, and this was brought up mainly because we were going to do a pattern seminar in conjunction with the meeting. The pattern seminar was nixed on account of these changes however so we just did some kickin instead. One of the masters at the meeting was actually at the kukkiwon while they were filming too.

I'll look for some more formal announcements for you too, but I think because I'm not a high ranking anybody I'm outta the loop more-so, but that never stopped me from digging before :D

14. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

ok cool thanks. Keep me informed on what you hear. I went to the WTF org site and looked for info about it but i didnt find anything.

15. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I've also looked at the Kukkiwon, Korea Taekwondo Association and WTF websites, and found a new (9 Oct) message on the WTF bulletin board. This states that they have a contract with a company called Dartfish to produce a new DVD of the WTF standard poomsaes. They quoted a website for Dartfish, and following the link I watched a preview of the DVD. It showed extracts of Taegeuk 7 jang and Koryo poomsae, and these were exactly the same as I have learned them. I assume (perhaps naively) that since the WTF are endorsing this DVD they are not planning any changes to the poomsaes in the near future.

However, I will ask my kwanjangnim if he has heard any rumours.

Quote from WTF website (www.wtf.org):
    WTF standard Poomsae

The WTF signed a contract with Dartfish Korea on production of DVD and videos of the WTF standard Poomsae. Please contact

Dartfish Korea Co., Ltd. (CEO: Mr. No-Ik Park)
    536-8 3rd fl., Woorim Building,
    Shinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu,
    Seoul, Korea 135-889
    Tel: 82 2 545 2610/2619 Fax: 82 2 545 2637
    E-mail: raypark@darkfish.co.kr

Quote from Dartfish website:
    World Taekwondo Federation is producing Taekwondo Poomsae DVD (all Taekwondo Poomsae included into ) with five languages version and planning to popularize all over the world 172 countries, in which Kook-Hyun Jung, KBS Taekwondo commentator, and Kyu-Hyun Lee, Grand master 9 Dan present as a model.
    August 08, 2003

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Just a way to make more money on testing and such I think...screw the students....

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

The fact that things are changing is only normal. It happens in every aspect of life.
    I haven't found anything about the above mentioned changes.

18. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Talked to my GM and he looked at me like...WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT YOU SAY?

I like the idea of progression too...but, I have to wonder...:)

19. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

oh *******it they're changing the forms again?

20. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

NO, they are not changing the forms...my Grandmaster is Korean and a high ranking WTF certified instructor. He said that they are not changing the forms, but, that discussion has been ongoing for sometime about the applications and explanations. I would tend to believe that they just want to present them in a fresh way...????

I'll ask for further explanation on Saturday.