Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by StuartA, May 14, 2006.

1. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Nah, they'll need drips :)

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I invaded his dojang last night. I got out unscathed. Granted I made sure there weren't any people there at the time. I'm not stupid.
    I did however wee in the corner. :vanish:

3. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

LOL.. gawd that made me laugh! :cool:

Funnily enough, we were training last night. Theres was enough blood flowing, even I got cut! Plus we have a suspected broken toe lol

Stuart

Ps. What does the 'publisher' thing mean under your name?

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I wrote a really dodgy article for MAP about some homemade Ab wheels I made last year.
    Make's me look better than I am don't it? :)

5. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I think I'll wait for the hardback version to come out before I get one.

One of the students at the club I train at had one, had a quick flick through and was impressed.

Hardback version would be a funky add-on to my library that I'm intending to have (a tkd/sports library).

6. StuartA

Link!! :)

7. StuartA

I would. I wanted to do it hardback originally but it was deemed to expensive. Things have changed a little however, and costs have come down a little making it a viable option. The soft covers are discontinued.

Cheers,

Stuart

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can't...being re-vamped.

9. StuartA

Wot.. super glue rather than sello-tape :)

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The articles section you wally...not my ab-wheels.
    And it's duct tape...not sellotape. :)

11. StuartA

I know.... I was joooooooooooking :woo:

12. Toe-Job

Toe-Job Valued Member

Stuart,

When is the second book coming out? And what Patterns will you be covering?

13. StuartA

Not sure yet Toe-Job!

Should cover from hwa-Rang to somewhere around 2nd dan depending on page count and book size.

Stuart

14. Toe-Job

Toe-Job Valued Member

Great.

I'll look forward to that coming out.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Stuart,

I was reading the Combat review of your book [on your website] and was very impressed to discover you have 7 world champions (26 medals) from the '04 AIMAA worlds. A belated congratulations to you and your students! :cool:

16. StuartA

Thanks mate.

Stuart

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I finally got a hold of the book and love it. It's well worth the money and should be in every TKDist's library.

Here's the review I posted on Amazon.

[​IMG]

Stuart Paul Anslow, Ch’ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul – Real Applications to the ITF Patterns, Vol. 1, (Exposure Publishing: 2006). Softbound with b/w illustrations, 339 pages, ISBN - 1846852528

There are a lot of books out there on Tae Kwon Do and most of them are basic rehashings of techniques, poomsae movements, sparring drills, and refereeing procedures. Very few attempt any sort of depth in understanding the underlying concepts and applications that can be found in the poomsae (patterns) of the art. This book breaks the mold and represents a major new trend in the art of looking beyond what has been passed down to us. This book warrants the attention of all Tae Kwon Do students out there.

In essence, Mr. Anslow dissects the various ITF patterns and presents a set of applications for the techniques within those patterns. This material is the heart of the book and what makes this an invaluable addition to any martial arts library. Each pattern is displayed in reference format and then each individual or block of techniques are extracted and practical applications are shown for those moves. For the most part, the applications are very practical, realistic and applicable. Alternative applications are shown that may need a bit more open mindedness to make work as well. Regardless of the source of this information or the actual techniques themselves, this work opens the invitation for instructors and students alike to explore the patterns and go beyond just “show” into the realm of using the patterns as a learning resource for self defense.

The last few sections of the book contain a lot of excellent supplemental material ranging from sample curricula and grading requirements, technique cross reference guides, historical background of patterns from different sources, pressure point references, and so on. There are also ads for the author’s own school, different organizations and a bunch of photos of the author with various people he has worked with.

The bibliography is pretty short and includes references to the author’s own work, various articles and books from other styles, and references from General Choi. All in all, the list doesn’t contain a lot of unusual references and the sources don’t really indicate where the “applications” came from. After reading through the book, it’s my impression that most of the applications have come about from the author’s own ideas, input from Tae Kwon Do instructors and peers, and a very large amount from explorations of other arts. Much of it seems like reverse engineering, i.e. making techniques fit the movements of the patterns, but the end result is a clear, practical collection of applications for these patterns.

I would recommend this work for all Tae Kwon Do students and instructors, regardless of affiliation. The material contained within it opens the doors for many applications and for looking at patterns as something to tear apart and explore rather than stopping at rote memorization and performance. The material in this book applies immediately to (ITF) Chang Hon patterns but also could supplement and inspire patterns exploration in related factions (WTF, ATA, etc.) and even similar system like Shotokan Karate.

This book is an ideal reference for color belts who would like a photographic reference to the patterns and an incredible resource for black belts and instructors who want to explore further in the art. The tips and philosophy are great and the core material is excellent. This book should be in every Tae Kwon Do student’s library.

Contents:
    Chapter 1: Where's [sic] The Applications (pp. 1-19)

Chapters 2-7: Debunking Taekwon-do Myths, Differences In Taekwon-do, Finding The Applications, Utilizing Applications, Bringing It Altogether, and Basic Movements. (pp. 19- 83)

Chapters 8- 16: Saju Jirugi, Saju Makgi, Chon-Ji tul, Dan-Gun tul, Do-San tul, Won-Hyo tul, Yul-Gok tul, Joong-Gun tul, and Toi-Gye tul. (pp.83-270)

Chapter 17: In Conclusion (pp. 271- 287)

End Notes and Appendix's [sic] (pp.287-337)

Bibliography (pp. 338-339)

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  18. StuartA

Cheers Thomas,

Im glad you finally got a copy and liked it, plus thanks for the feedback.

The softback verision is actually discontinued now, so Im surprised you even got a copy, they are listing them at $80 to $120 on Amazon.com lol, this is because an 'Issue 2' is coming out and its hardback only - so please, when it does, please ad you eview there as the old softback reviews and that page will slowly disappear.

New ISBN is 978-1-906628-04-8 btw :)

Thanks for letting me know as well.

Stuart

19. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Overall it's really good. There are a few minor typos and such but the overall book looks great.

I was a bit perplexed about the usage of the term "Tae Kwon" for "Taek Kyeon" in the history parts. That, combined with the lineage chart that almost implies an equal part of Taek Kyeon as to Karate for the roots of Taekwondo seem to make a much larger case for the influence of Taek Kyeon on Taekwondo. In the last interview I saw with Gen. Choi he mentioned that he had only learned 1 or 2 "movements" from Taek Kyeon. Granted, I think the notions (romantic and otherwise) of a native Korean art like Taek Kyeon probably inspired people to modify the art into a very distinctively Korean art in the end, but I still don't think that Taek Kyeon contributed that much to taekwondo in general beyond the inspiration and a few movements.

Regardless, the history section is prett generic and not too bad overall. It's the bulk of the book, from the applications to some realy nice extras that make the book worth the money. Nice job.

My sister ordered it up before Christmas time. I read though it, shared it with the other instructors (who want to order copies as well) and read through it again before doing the review. It's really good. I will try to add the review when the new edition comes out, I presume you'll post a note here so we know.

20. StuartA

The typo's are due to having to switch off the spell checker on the original document because it was so big and the program couldnt handle it. It was run through at the end but missed a few bits, including the "Taek Kyon" bit, as it didnt pick up any of the korean stuff. All that has been corrected in the second edition.

I can see what you mean, but remember that was how Gen Choi states his history.. mine only kicks in after that and I couldn't alter someones linage tree because of my own personal opinions. However, I do state in the book that i don't believe Taek-Kyon played much of a part in TKD history!

Is that online.. I thought I had the last interview saved.. but myabe its not the last one after all, as I dont recall reading that and its interesting as its a bit of a change from what he put across previously regarding it.

thanks

get them to wait for the hard back.. it shouldnt be long now.

Cheers. Ill remind you, yes - many thanks.

Stuart

Thomas likes this.