Chanel 5 Bruce Lee night: Any opinions?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheBorderer, Jul 21, 2003.

1. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hi folks,

Watched Chanel 5 (which to some may find amazing I can get a decent signal, or there's something decent on Chanel 5! :D ), Bruce Lee night(had a 'about Bruce Lee', Enter The Dragon, and a 'lost' interview with the man himself). I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it, an what they thought.

I thought it was good, I admit now all I know of Bruce Lee I have heard from others (which may shock other MAPers going 'how can you not have seen a Bruce Lee film? etc), so was able to understand him more, learned some things I didn't know (like Jeet Kune Do being invented by him... guess it shows how much there actually is to MA's and how much I'm yet to learn! ;) )and can see more clearly why Bruce Lee is still such an insparation to many to take up a MA.

The thing though that confused me a little was about the Gung Fu, confusing because of what all I had heard was Kung Fu, so if someone could explain that would be cool.

Enter The Dragon was good, ok I know some will say it's not the best, but again this is the only one I've seen! The one thing that slightly got me was how Han seemed to have white belts as guards, and then be moaning they are incompetant, course they would be they're only white belts! That said was good to see the man in action, and learn a bit more!

Like I said, would be interested to see if anyone else saw this and what they thought!

2. uobirac

uobirac Valued Member

Gung Fu is simply another way of saying Kung Fu, it's what it was originally know as in Hong Kong and that's what Bruce kept to. I'd seen the Warrior's Journey documentary before but I watched it again and of course it's all good stuff :D the interview with Pierre Burton is the best though..i've yet to see all of that yet - only bits and peices. i recorded it and watched a film on BBC2, i'll watch it tomorrow :D

3. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

You say that the guards were white belts..but then again wouldn't the film be crap if Bruce got beaten up by the guards and caught the first time he went walkabouts? What can you expect. ETD has much better screenplay and a much better plot than any other of his films, say Game Of Death or Fist Of Fury

4. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

In "game of death" the gentlemen bruce fights on the second floor of the building at the end seams to have given himself a GOLD belt in karate? and even he doesnt give bruce much of a problem, maybe han was right to use white belts afterall, it would cost him a fortune to train men to gold belt and he doesnt want to lose them so quickly does he?

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I felt the first Doco 'Warriors Journey' was passable, bit shoddy and over-simplistic in parts, but I still 'Enjoyed' it-some of it irritated me, namely the Voice-Over and some of their 'Facts',
    that they were abit random with.

My girlfriend spent her time laughing at all the daft noises that Bruce made in the film clips and she pointed out to me, that in her opinion 'the Other One' was better with the Nunchucks (Dan Inosanto in the G.O.D Pagoda scene)-(Whaaaa! Sacrilege).

She also pointed out to me that 'She'd just step out of the way if he tried to do that run up side kick thing' (see the Kicking shield footage in the Doco)....Many's a true word spoken by a Non-martial artist....(Whahhaaaa? More Sacrilege thought I secretly partially conceding her point).

The interview was gravy booby :) 'Be like water my friend-wet, in bottles, 65 Peee'

Watching Enter was nice particularly as this was the first time I'd seen this slightly different extended cut with the V/O.

A nice way to spend a sunday evening.

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

The Gentleman with the 'Gold Belt in Karate' in Game of Death was Hapkido Grandmaster Ji Han Jae.

It was a groovy Gold trimmed Gi though wasn't it?

7. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

7th dan at hapkido. I liked the lost interview best!.

8. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

i dunno looked a bit OTT to me.

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I think being a 7th Degree of such ability allows one to be OTT :D

10. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

OTT??? = over the top?

11. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

OTT= Over the top

Also I think it's funny the way Bruce say's certain words..Oppertunity = Opertootifruity

12. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

He talked alot about self expression and how we're all humans and where a style comes from dont matter, kind of stuff