Challenges.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47Ronin, Dec 8, 2003.

?

Would you take on a challenge at your school? Note- I am not challenging your school

1. Accept the challenge.

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Decline the challenge.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Just a thought in my head. If some one were to go to your school and challenge head instructor/you, what do you think he/she would say?

( NO- I am not challenging your schools :D)

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

It would depend on the context of the challenge. If a friendly opportunity to exchange skills, yes. If an aggressive "fist of Fury" style "I'm better than you," no.

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

At the moment, I would not enjoy being challenged but I would rather lose a challenge than decline it.

A person who makes challenges clearly would feel happy to take one. I'm not there, yet.

Rgds,
    David

4. Cain

Cain New Member

I would kick their ass ;)

|Cain|

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Keep the posts coming, I just want to see what other people think about this matter.

I was thinking when I went to Okinawa that I would challenge another Karate school but am having lots of second thoughts.
    I sort of feel like its being an arrogant fool to do it now...

6. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

A gracie school would not refuse a challange :D

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We have too many testosterone laced, hot blooded, bull headed young guys in our school to turn down a challenge. Me on the other hand, I'd be happy to offer medical help to those AFTER the fights......

8. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

A Freindly trade of techniques, yes. A movie style broken ribs battle, NO.

9. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Decline. What's the point? To prove your kung-fu is better? I would definatly be mad, and I would ask them to leave. If they attacked me then and only then would I defend myself. I am trying to set an example for my students, and I don't think it is right to challenge nor except challenges just for the sake of being macho.

However there are a few McDojangs in my town that I wouldn't mind... just kidding.

10. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Depends what they had to prove. We don't do competitions in our class, as the art isn't suited to that kind of fighting, but if it was a friendly exchange of techniques, sure.

I've got nothing against challenges (unless they're based on ego/spite), but I don't think I could really show the range of my style without getting way too serious.

11. totality

totality New Member

to paraphrase mr. longfellow...i never much cared for challenges. i'd probably lead him quietly out to the back of the building, and kill him.

but honestly, i'd accept. i always do.:D

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I would decline it as this is not why I trained to do MA.

However I may offer to train with them but if its a more indepth fight he wants then I would put my Sporting MA head on and perhaps fight under MMA rules.

If its a punch up just streetfight then no. It is illegal!

13. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yes,
    I'd challenge them to read a book.

After all 'knowledge is power'.

14. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Not in the dojo, as that would invalidate our insurance.

Then we'd follow him home and beat him to death with spoons. </strength in numbers>

Only joking.

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd challenge them to a beer drinking competition, and when they fall over drunk (cause I'll win ;) ), I'll take all their clothes of and selephane them to a lamp post :D

I think this kind of thing (challenges) to be a personal thing, either thats the sort of thing you want to do, or its not.

I see a difference between challenges between schools, individuals and fighting for money.

Col

16. Sonshu

But you scots cant hold

your drink!

You would lose Freeform!
    :D

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

In which case I'll be all painkillered up if he then battered me :D

18. Sonshu

Nice answer!

Nice!

19. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Challenges are part of FMA martial culture and history. Not long ago, it was still quite common to have a local teacher get challenged all the time, particularly if the said teacher had a reputation for either being very skilled or very boastful. LOL

Walking into our training area wanting to "try out" our teacher is serious business. He will never back down and I'm sure serious injury and / or death will occur. And if the challenger brings his students and they get any ideas of trying us out as well, we will respond in kind.

going to someone's FMA school here and asking to "spar" with them is not an invitation to a friendly match.

20. totality

totality New Member

nope, the ability to use knowledge is power.

owned!

sorry...couldn't help myself.