Chalenge no 1- explain how this is done without meditation and chi kung (prana work)

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by leftwingtaoist, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

its odd because of the number of autonomic processes he can control and the extent of control he has.

I said it before and ill say it again - Chi is an outdated term - as you said "chi" describes energy and processes in general, however science has identified these many of these forms of energy and processes.
    I suggest to save yourself ridicule in the professional environment, rather than label everything as "chi", do a little research and use the current scientific terms relevant to the subject.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Leftwing, is your real name Karl Pilkington by any chance?

3. leftwingtaoist

leftwingtaoist Valued Member

zaad

it is possible to do it if you practice

as for term chi, i can start using "energies in the environment and biological systems and processes that transform these energies from electric, vibrational to chemical and mechanical and vice versa" but chi is shorter. :)

i can also say "methods that enable us to influence energies in the environment and biological systems and processes that transform these energies from electric, vibrational to chemical and mechanical and vice versa" but chi kung is shorter. :)

Hannibal

who is that?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Or you could start talking about individual phenomena rather then using a blanket term that can mean whatever suits you at a given point in the discussion.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yeah i agree with oddbodskins
    using a blanket term is silly
    e.g.
    "How do hydrogen cars work?"
    "Well they use chi kung to create chi out of hydrogen"

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Leftwing, the point is your very loose use of words and facts to support your arguments. There is a big difference between NO brain and have 25 to 50 percent of a brain.

When you do things like this you put everything else you say into doubt.

BTW, no one is saying there aren't weird things in the world that aren't explained. But just because it's not understood doesn't give you permission to say god/chi/aliens/the ancients or anything else did it. I don't know means just that, no more, no less.

Just my point of view but you seem rather rigid for a Taoist.

Edit: Zaad, I see the Mods removed your sig. That's ok, I will always think of you as having "sparkle".

7. leftwingtaoist

guys just remind you that the original hypothesis that i proposed is that chi and chi kung are not rubish.
    it is a teching that is worth exloring. if during that exploring you discover that part of that they call chi is actual nerve impulse electricity so be it.

chinese viewed the world holisticaly. and they are right. you can not examine anything in isolation. for one you have at least gravity acting on it and all the electric and magnetic fields that surround us. so looking at how nerve impulses work without taking into account everything else that surrounds the nerves is incomplete. everything influences everything.

8. Hannibal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7AjfZ0ZgUE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7AjfZ0ZgUE[/ame]

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No.

Acoustic is a form of kinetic energy, requiring a medium. Chemical energy is due to interactions between quantum particles. Elastic is a storage of kinetic energy through molecular bonds in a material. Pneumatic is actually a force, not energy in its own right. Try again.

So why are you so reluctant to provide evidence, or to give any actual details of what you believe chi is/can do?

He had a brain, as has been pointed out. Anencephaly is a different condition which means someone is born without a frontal lobe. Generally they do not survive the birth, and even when they do survive the birth they'll generally die within a few hours or days.

Your posts do rather give that away, yes.

He wasn't talking about mitochondria. They can be seen.

I don't know of any neuroscientific theory which says that a reduction in brain capacity automatically leads to death or a lack of function, just that they are likely to do so. The brain has backups and redundancies in place - otherwise we'd be somewhat more fragile.

Interesting, thank you. Nothing particularly new though.

Your extension of this theory into saying that it is how most communication within the brain occurs is a bit of a stretch though, since there's nothing yet to support this. On top of that I don't see how this has any relation to your claims of chi.

Also this is an electromagnetic field, not a frequency but a collection of magnetic field lines spread around an area. Knowing the difference could only help your credibility.

10. Hannibal

The problem is that you still have not clearly defined "chi"

You cannot just latch on to any passing biological function and say "oh that is chi". If you believe this is possible then there are two conclusions

1) You do not have a grasp of what "definition" actually means

or

2) "chi" as a phenomena description is so vauge as to almost worthless.

Chi Gung as a practice has benefits. So does going for a stroll.

There is nothing demonstrably superior from one over the other

"Chi" manipulation is horse crap. Once again I issue the challenge show me one thing that differentiates it from just moving properly in a given situation.

11. leftwingtaoist

m1k

I did not try to explain the no brain man (or just a thin crust o brain man if you want to be so pedantic) with chi. I have never once mentioned god or aliens. This is a very silly argument.
    Chi does not explain anything. It is just a name for general energy system in the universe.

All i am saying is that if there is something that we don't know how it works, and we want to find out how it works, then every path is worth exploring. Even 5000 years old ones like chi kung. Or a brand new one like neuroscience electromagnetic research. If this is rigid then I am rigid.

It amuses me to see how people get stuck to words.

12. Hannibal

WHAT ENERGY??? WHAT IS IT? HOW DO YOU MEASURE IT? WHAT DOES IT DO?

How many more times need the question be repeated?

13. leftwingtaoist

any one of them is electromagnetic in its nature.

google it.

to all of you i present the ice man. he claims that he uses budist meditation and energy works to achieve what he can do. not stroll in the park.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not really a hypothesis boyo. Not testable unless you define a way in which they could be testing.

Great - so as soon as you can find me the ancient mathematical models which can describe gravitational interactions between three stellar bodies, or predict the half-life of trans-uranic elements, or model quantum tunnelling, I'll be sure to start considering them as being right about their approach.

Yes - but models can still be created for systems independently, and are more useful that way as it then gives us something to work with as we try to integrate it with other models.

Energies in the environment? Which energies?

Which methods? This should easily be testable. Can you provide your study results and methodology?

15. leftwingtaoist

good night and have a great weekend.

have fun, be happy, stay young

16. Hannibal

Same ability - no Chi Gung or mystic poop

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ1SXn3pF30"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ1SXn3pF30[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GJguTy9F4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65GJguTy9F4&feature=related[/ame]

So do you now concede the practice of the Chi Gung in and of itself is CLEARLY not the reason

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Just because you can't see the similarities does not stop the comment being amusing. In fact it makes it more so.

No, it is not. You cannot even define it.

No. The path worth exploring is to try and find a model which allows us to make accurate predictions, then test it to destruction. When it breaks we patch it up or replace it and repeat.

You still don't get this. You're trying to use an obviously broken system (not to mention a useless one, as it cannot make accurate, testable predictions) to try and justify your own misguided beliefs.

Yes, you are rigid, and close-minded. You are not willing to reconsider your own beliefs, but instead try desperately to contort the evidence to fit them.

Words are important. You keep getting upset when I refer to chi magic, yet you can't even use proper scientific terminology - which has nice, clear definitions intended to make discussions about things easier.

Nonsense. Where on earth did you get this from?

There are four basic forces that govern our universe. The force of gravity, the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force.

Now it is very important to note that these are forces. They are not energy. If you were to use the correct terminology from the beginning I might even think you had started to understand what you are talking about.

Sorry, where's the claim on his web page that he uses Buddhist meditation? I must have missed it, but then I did only skim through.

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It's not that he is reluctant. It's because he can't. Well at least on the evidence side; however he can certainly tell us what he believes chi can do.

It is highly unlikely that anything anyone posts (regardless of how intelligent or logical) here is going to change his "belief". He already stated in another post that science is a belief system. He didn't post here for objective and honest debate.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh I know, I've already had plenty of debates like this. I'm just hoping that one day someone will post evidence - or at least a description of what they believe chi can do which is not explained by other, known, mechanisms.

I only carry on these arguments to help teach myself patience.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Stew Smith, a former Navy SEAL and a workout guru who I am fan of, was on Fight Science soaking in an ice bath at a level where most people would catch hypothermia quickly. He actually managed to rise his core body temperature to keep himself warm. Is it chi, or just that he didn't let the cold bother him?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80669577/

The mind is a powerful thing. You don't necessarily need meditation to unlock those powers.