Celtic martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapuka, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

So I was doing some digging around through my family tree and discovered that I have a Celtic heritage (and it turns out I'm as much Scottish as I am Maori - a measly quater) with my clan being clan Douglas. I was wanting to know if there were any books or info about how the Celts lived, their way of doing things, customs and their philosophies when it came to warfare, and also of course about any martial arts the Celts did.

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

http://dirkdance.tripod.com/

Don't know how factual it is, but it was the first thing that came up on google, granted, you want Celtic cultural martial arts, you'd probably do better to look at the Irish.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's quite a mix! wow!

4. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

When you say Celtish MA, are you referring to the pre roman and anglo saxon invasions or anything scottish? I don't know of any ancient books on their martial arts but for later stuff you can look at Donald McBane and William Hope amongst others.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yep :)
    The other half of me is Danish and English.

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Being from the ulster area (which is quite a mix if irish and scottish culture) I'd say scottish back hold us a good shout. You still see it all the time at Highland games events.

8. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

There's a few forms of Irish stickfighting around. I think some in Canada, heard about one maybe in Antrim, N.I.
    Ill look.

9. Dead_pool

I briefly looked into the Irish stick fighting thing, and it looks like someone trying to make money off their pretend heretige.

None in Ireland, loads in America and Canada.

10. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Fusen is right. There was a de facto ban on Shillelagh fighting in Ireland in the 18th century as it was irish counties fighting against each other. With the Gaelic revival and the establishment of a modern irish identity (as a means of political autonomy from Britain), stick fighting was frowned upon as being anti irish. Irish people fighting Irish people didn't work with the propaganda of the time, so a Irish stick fighting died out. Ironically, a tradition of a Ireland was eradicated by the very group claiming they were acting in Ireland's best interests.

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

That's a shame that no one teaches it in Ireland. The same almost happened to Mau Rakau here in New Zealand. Out of curiosity, how much of Ireland's and Scotland's traditonal martial art heritage is still intact? Anyone know?

12. bouli

bouli Valued Member

No one teaches it in Ireland because it's not real. The only legit stick fighting from Ireland still extant, is hurling ;).

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Found this website here. It has some intresting articles. Not sure whether its legit in its info though. The author seems to think highly of the Doyle family which appears to be the one of the only Irish stick fighting styles around, except in Ireland, which is strange. I found this video of Glen Doyle showing his stuff, any thoughts? Apparently he also has a background in Jun Fan Gung Fu and teaches that as well.

http://www.isfworldwide.org/

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcH0ww_Jbfg"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcH0ww_Jbfg[/ame]

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

are you taking about scottish indigenous martial arts?

Scottish backhold is very popular and has seen a resurgence (theres a number of schools that have opened). I'll film some at the high land games im going to watch next month.

you can also learn scottish broadsword at very few schools but traditionally clans had their own styles.

as for the danish stuff - scotland was settled by a number of groups of Scandinavian origins at different times so you're more Scandinavian than you think!

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yep, that's what I'm asking about. The indigenous stuff.

17. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Yea that was the guy. Only read about him somewhere in passing.

18. Dead_pool

Re irish stickfighting, It's highly highly likely he's made it up himself.

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It's hard finding Irish Stick. I've trained a bit here in Canada with the Shiners and throw down with them every year at their tournament.

There's of course Celtic Wrestling, which Backhold is a part of. Here's the federation:

http://celtic-wrestling.tripod.com/id17.html

And as mentioned, some HEMA groups do Scottish Backsword.

20. Dead_pool

What's the deal with MR in NZ?