Carano vs. Rousey looks likely in December...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I am not paranoid. This is just not even close to my first rodeo when it comes to this sort of thing. It seems right now what is most important to you when it comes to your participation is to tear someone down.

Your opinion about my point of view is noted. (I also don't care.) I have a feeling though you don't really realize how you sound in your posts. (Or I hope, anyway.)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I am quite powerful when I use my whole body, but my isolated muscles are quite weak.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool story bro. :rolleyes:

This isn't worth continuing. You think I'm over here writing out a web diagram to one up you and tear you down on the internet, I'm over here looking like this: :confused: with a little bit of this :rolleyes:, and it's just not going to go anywhere. Keep on keeping on cowboy, no rodeo is getting by you.

#Crisco

4. Combat Sports

It also wasn't worth starting. :rolleyes:

If you are finished, I am glad. Now we can get back on point.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

No, I haven't honestly. I know they are spectacular athletes and that it burns more calories than any other form of exercise on an calorie per hour basis. I am not saying they aren't strong at all... but it's not an exercise that is going to put any massive muscle on you either.

6. Saved_in_Blood

So what is your point? I know all about high reps, I know about using plyometrics to build explosive power, I know swimming also is a great exercise. Again... I said that resistance builds strength... I didn't say specifically what types of exercises.

7. Saved_in_Blood

are you into lifting at all? Do a lot of compound movements but not small muscle groups?

8. Saved_in_Blood

I'm confused on this whole thing lol.

Back on topic though. I don't think Rousey should have much issue with Carano... she's been out to long and to much ring rust. I would think Carano wouldn't need the money, not to mention she has a good record... why go into a fight as a retired fighter and damaging your legacy?

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

These days any publicity is considered good publicity, unfortunately. I'd of hoped she'd have been above that. As others here have said the lack of a serious approach - working her way up the ranks ( there isnt that much of a climb, afterall ), earning a title shot, not even a warm-up before she takes on Rousey makes a sham of womens MMA.

Who can really blame the doubters after one sees this sort of thing again and again.

10. Combat Sports

I kind of come back to my original retort. Who else? Holly Holm will get her shot. I am pretty sure Cyborg will as well. Women's bantamweight doesn't have anyone right now that Rousey has not already defeated decisively. (Unless we want to feed some more girls to her who will end up like Alexis Davis.)

I have a suspicion that Rousey will fight Carano, Holm and possibly Cyborg and then "retire undefeated" as she keeps talking about it constantly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  11. belltoller

True, there isn't anyone left on Rousey's side left. But just for semblence of divisional ranking, those just coming in ought to have a couple of fights before the immediate title shot. I think Cyborg would be an exception to this because of her previous and now post-ban Invicta record - I'd see no problem with her getting an immediate shot.

Holly Holm has the straight boxing but she will need lots of ground training and then a period of working that in to real-time cage fighting at lower levels before she should realistically think of going after Ronda. Contrary to a lot of thinking, ready-for-pro-fight ground skills take some time to develop and polish.

I don't see Holm other than another grab'n smash victim of Rousey's if she steps into the cage with her within a couple of years; which of course is going to happen a lot sooner.

Makes one wonder if Dana and company really do believe in women's MMA or if they are just trying to make what they can now, knowing it will fold (in the present incarnation of the UFC) after Ronda retires.

Doesn't seem like they are going about things with a long-term view in mind.

12. Combat Sports

Holly Holm works as the kickboxing coach for Greg Jackson's team. (GSP, Jon Jones, etc.) This would be a very high profile fight for Jackson's camp and I don't see them putting her in the ring with Rousey without spending a lot of time on her ground skills. (Mind you, we don't even have any proof that she doesn't have them. I used to wonder the same thing about Cyborg but just because someone has never had to use their ground game doesn't mean they don't have it. Anderson Silva proved that a few times as well. I have some great video of Cyborg winning BJJ tournaments.)

I want to state that I would PREFER it if Gina and Holly both had warm up fights, Cyborg will need to prove she can do what she does at 135 as well. (Which she is doing in December with an Invicta fight at Bantamweight, I hope she does some more.)

I say this not just from the point of "deserving" a title shot but because it's the right move for all of them and I want to see good quality fights.

I also think that Gina Carano if she is really trying to improve her movie career as some people think would NEVER go into a fight with Rousey unprepared either. A loss to Rousey would pretty much ensure that Rousey's hollywood credit would go up, and hers would go down. Her last movie did not do all that well. This interview however makes me think Gina wants to come back for the right reasons. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDrTNKRFZM"]Gina Carano talks Returning to MMA on Craig Ferguson - April 8th 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Sara McMann originally did not want a title shot so soon either, and if it were not for the Olympics hype I don't think she would of gotten one yet.

I am not sure if it is that Dana doesn't believe in Women's MMA, I am sure he does. The problem is he is running out of options. And Rousey to her credit does not want to be a champion who sits on the title. She wants to fight. But she also wants to retire undefeated and I think when she gets through all of the names worth mentioning she will do just that.

(That is of course, provided she wins. I think Carano, McMann, Cyborg, Holm and possibly even Tate have a chance.)

13. belltoller

She could be going in without Jackson's blessing, as well. You know how various 'factions' can pull individuals in opposite directions, ubeknownst to the general public.

"Alright Holly, I and my team will do everything possible to get your ground game up to speed, but as your coach I have to tell you, 'don't do it'. "

But yeah, its possible that Holly is keeping a lid on the fact that she's been quitely doing BJJ for some time in anticipation of the switch to MMA.

But she isn't going to present any danger on the ground to Ronda. But if she - I was gonna say, lol, if she has enough to fend off Ronda's Judo/BJJ hybrid - but I had to stop, lol.

Is it possible to know just enough to get oneself in trouble all the quicker?

No, I want a good fight, regardless. I think everyone does

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What do you mean what is my point? It was a counter to YOUR point - do keep up

The point I was making is that Gama did thevery things that you say don't add that much size

[​IMG]

Frankly Ronda just looks in (damn) fine shape - and at least she always makes weight unlike Carano

[​IMG]

No massive size difference there, other than a bit of height

[​IMG]

None here either...hmm, maybe this "massive size" isn't actually a fact but is instead hyperbole.....let's look again

[​IMG]

Nothing more than a bit of height again

Conclusion = haters gonna hate

15. Combat Sports

I want one as well. But lets look at this.

Rousey's striking is starting to show some signs of improving, but she still gets hit by sub par boxers who took on boxing late in their careers. Miesha Tate and Sara McMann both popped her good a few times with punches that I feel if they were thrown by someone who has pro level boxing skills could seriously hurt her.

When Miesha Tate was following her original game plan of keeping Ronda away and using takedown defense while she popped her with boxing it was working. It was when she for some bizarre and stupid reason that she decided instead to try to take Ronda down over and over again that the fight turned the way it did. (She claimed it was because she was trying to show no fear. Sadly it also meant she was showing no good sense.)

"Sprawl and Brawl" is a viable tactic though it doesn't see as much use as it once did. Rousey's answer to good striking so far has been to absorb blows, go for the throw and go for the submission. I don't think she is going to get away with that with Holm. (Or even Carano provided Carano trains right.) McMann proved that you can stop Rousey from throwing you if you are prepared.

It's not a "silver bullet" theory. But it is a "chance".

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I repeat myself.

Alpha Cat Zingano. She was promised her shot and hasn't gotten it yet.

With Roussey's advances in striking, I am not as hopeful for a win by Zingano as I was before, but you never iknow. And you really can't argue she doesn't deserve it as she was supposed to get it and the stint on TUF before her injury.

And I think that TUF would have been a lot better, with less drama if it had been her instead of Tate with that whole nasty rivalry.......... I think Roussey would have behaved better.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I had actually downloaded some of those same pictures and was going to make this exact point!!! But you beat me to it!

I don't see much of a size difference at all. Like you said, a little height.

McMann has some great arms!

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Was at the Manchester Velodrome a few weeks ago and saw some of the GB Cycling Team training. They were doing high rep sets of Hindu squats of all things :)

19. Combat Sports

And I will repeat myself. :)

(I will watch more Cat Zingano, in fact doing so right now. However...)
    Cat Zingano so far has not done anything to give me the impression that she brings something to the table that is superior to other girls in the division. She will get her shot and end up like the rest of the girls in the Bantamweight division. She got her win over Miesha Tate because Tate gassed out. (Which does not excuse her loss other then to say that skill wise she didn't do anything special.) She has done nothing to give me any impression that she is the "Rousey Killer".

As far as the TUF drama and TUF being better for all of that Tate's fighters overall did better then Rousey's fighters. I don't think coach Zingano would of gotten the same results.

20. Saved_in_Blood

I believe well all know here about your massive ego problem, however... the "great gama" looked as if he could cut quite a bit of fat there and wouldn't look quite as big... Rousey still looks bigger to me... I asked about fight night weights, the pictures really do not reveal much as I could post pics of any bodybuilder, boxer, wrestler, etc who has to cut weight before a fight/match... and then post the next day photos and it will look like 2 different people. There is no mention on google of her fight night weight however, so I guess Mr. White maybe wants to keep that a secret... with that guy who really knows.

When I asked about what point you were trying to prove, you didn't show me anything. I really don't want to have to retype yet again what I had said previously.

For the record, I don't believe I ever said I "hate" Rousey... I did say I didn't like her and for me she doesn't have that magic or charisma that other fighters have. Not once did I mention her skill level, or anything of the sort that I recall at least. I know she was a bronze medalist in the Olympics and that essentially she won 4th place but Judo rules award 2 bronze medals. Sure winning anything like that is an achievement that most of us will never attain, but her Olympic stuff is obviously overblown to some degree.