[Capoeira] What has been your greatest...

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Martial_Mathers, May 3, 2006.

1. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

..accomplishment in Capoeira, or martial arts in general?

2. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

my greatest accomplishment in martial arts over all is just learning new things from different instructors and seeing how each "technique" works and how it doesnt work.

3. rain

rain New Member

macaco and learning soings in portuguese!!!

4. voodue

voodue Valued Member

The two greatest accomplishments so far are the following:

I was present and participated in the first batizado held in Russia. It was a great honor to be a part of history. I was also in the first Capoeira book published in Russia.

The other accomplishment would be having my students baptized. It gave me great joy to see my students receive their first cord. I remember when I received my green cord and the sense of pride I had with my achievement. That self pride is nothing compared to helping a student achieve their goals.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  5. fogo

fogo Valued Member

well

1: hooking up with a capoeira chick in class, that was nice :p

2: bein able to show random punks that capoeira is useful in a fight

3: bein able to move my body in ways i couldnt even do when i was really young

4: more insight on black history that i would never know outside of capoeira

5: cool shirts

6: not getting my first belt but instead using the batizado money to enter into angola classes, which made me realize how much i love this art and how serious i take it

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Definitely the volunteer work teaching Capoeira to kids at a women's shelter that I and my grupo did. To see children that are dealing with everything from domestic abuse in the home, running away and suicide attempts come into the class--sometimes visibly angry--and leave smiling is a gift that I hold dearly.

Thanks, LB, for the question. It gave me pause today to reflect on what is really important.

Ate mais, meu irmau.

dormindo

7. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

Hmmm... great question.

My biggest accomplishments in martial arts to date include:

Performing well a few weeks ago during a weekend session to prepare for Shodan testing (actually, "adequate" was the word used, but it beat the "pathetic" feedback that several 1st kyu's got).

Teaching a few classes that I think went particularly well and that I got good feedback on.

Overcoming a recent knee injury/surgery/recovery trilogy and getting (almost!) back to my old self in forms.

Watching my 6 year old daughter own several older, much higher ranking kids in sparring last weekend. :D

A couple that are coming up in the near future...

... kicking some major butt at a big tournament this weekend! ;)
    ... researching and preparing several seminars and physical classes for the group at an upcoming event.