[Capoeira] Capoeira in MMA

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by B.Y.O.B., Jun 24, 2006.

1. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

2. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  4. Martial_Mathers

5. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

It's not that it doesn't belong there, it's simply not a substitute for BJJ, Judo, Sambo or Sub. Grappling.

6. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

Only seen the first couple of vids so far but they look cool, cheers man! :D

I read in one of Nestor Capoeira's books recently grapples and 'trips' have been in Capoeira since pretty much the dawning of the style, therefore have just as much right to be used as MMA. As for being used as a subsititute, in what context? If you mean for a tournament, I wouldn't use Capoeira simply because I equate such things to be associated with a fixed group of styles on the whole (eg. ground wrestling/kick boxing/etc.) and I'm not much of a fan of tournaments anyway.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. BocaDeCalca

BocaDeCalca New Member

Good for you. But my point being, if you're going to be succesful in MMA you learn one of the following:

BJJ, Judo, Sub. Grappling or Sambo.

Everyone succesfull in MMA trains at least one of these extensively.

De Silva obviously uses capoeira functionally in striking range, and good for him. However, he also recognizes it's limitations. It is not a complete grappling system. Nothing in capoeira will teach you how to escape side control, hold mount, pass guard, etc.

Thus he also does BJJ.

8. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

Fair point maybe, I don't know, I'm only just beginning Capoeira so if there was an escape I wouldn't know it yet anyway. :D

But then that's why I say MMA events are suited to certain types of style, as BJJ and mat wrestling are closer styles to each other, so would 'flow' better (both more ground-based, resulting in more 'chain wrestling' hopefully) in a tournament setting.
    I wasn't sure if you meant in a real fight or not at first. But sometimes it can be about the person, not just the style in the finish.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  9. Martial_Mathers

Give yourself time. A Capoeirista is forever learning. There are more escapes than any one person knows what to do with. The moment that you think there isn't an escape for a particular situation, your travels (...providing you travel, and train alot) will show you otherwise.

10. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Those vids are cool, but the second video, the one in which he knocks out his opponent with a high turning kick, in that video you can't tell if that's capoeira or not. It could be kickboxing, TKD, capoeira, Muay Thai etc.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I'm pretty sure that Capoeira includes a high roundhouse kick in it :D

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Sweetness. That man makes guard passes exciting.
    I noticed him using some kind of triangular footwork as he moved in. I assume that's a copeira thing?

13. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Capoeira also uses high round kicks. I thing they are called martelo.
    I think that triangular thing is the ginga, but I really don't see it in that video. This guy just comes straight foward to his opponent and hit him with a high turning kick.

I just watched the second video again, and there is no ginga.