Can't punch can't fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

2 were punched, 2 we're kneed and one was generally beaten

Dealing with knives isn't difficult so long as they are dealt with before they start slashing at you. Most muggers will hold their knife out in front of them, in perfect position for a kick or a grab, they dont just walk up and stab you, and its even better if theres just one of them because when they patt you down they're not thinking about guarding the knife. And you always have the flight option

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Ive been in a 6vs1 fight and i didnt lose... I didnt win, but i didnt lose either. Everyone just stopped and left.

Why are we still talking about this? Subject is ALLLLLL the way over there, i dont think we could throw a ball to the subject its so far away...

If you cant kick or punch or handle a weapon or run or head butt or elbow or knee or spit or **** or throw, then you cant fight.

Hows that.

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

You're making potentially very dangerous assumptions here. "they don't just walk up and stab you" You really don't know that, you have no idea what the person you are dealing with is capable of. But anyway, unarmed, I still think 3 people will pretty much always beat 1 person, except for a few possible scenarios, which are pretty rare. If 3 people decide they're going to beat you up, you must be one hell of a fighter to beat them all, punches or no punches. Nothing ever works out in real life how you think it will, so it's extremely dangerous to make assumptions about situations like these.

4. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Ok back on topic, "Can't punch, can't fight" = Completely inaccurate

5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

For the most part ;)

6. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

hahaha, ok I'll take you bait. I say for the whole part. If someone can't punch, but can kick, grapple, head butt, elbow, knee, bite etc. then they can fight, inarguably. So that renders the statement in question, wrong, and proven wrong without any question.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

the statement is inaccurate when taken out of context :)

8. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

What is the context?

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im not gonna read through all five pages of crap so if this has been stated before I apologise.

my opinion- punching is an important part of fighting. being TRAINED by someone in how to punch is not neccessarily as important. I know guys who have come into our club and are naturally good punchers with no prior training. I have said it before, any monkey can throw a punch. unless you are really a total wuss and built like a 12 year old, you can throw a punch well enough for it to be effective in most cases. now if you encounter a trained boxer it might be another story.

I agree in that I think everyone who calls themselves a martial artist should know how to punch properly because as far as striking goes, your hands are your most often used weapons. however you can still defend yourself without any training, a friend of mine knocked another guy out cold the other weekend with one punch and he has never been trained.

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Can't punch can't fight? Yeah right?
    You heard me laugh,
    who's talking trash 'bout whuppin' my ass,
    cats will never let a boxer do that
    Who that?
    Get his brains blew back
    With a new gat
    Hollow tips blowing clean through that
    Didn't even have to get a whole team just to do that
    With black cap
    And in all of this
    Never threw one fist

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Replace "punch" with "grapple" "kick" "clinch" "takedown", etc, and it's still right. You need to know all ranges to know how to fight well.

PL

12. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

You're missing the point wich is , no matter what style you practice learn a least the basics of punching. (even if it is judo or bjj)

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I agree with the statement 'can't punch, can't fight' because simply, punching is one of the fundamentals and you should be able to punch correctly before you do any intermediate or advanced training, no matter what your MA.

I don't consider the Karate way of punching as being able to punch correctly btw.

If you wanna put someone down in a fight and you're in range try punching to the 'kidney' area, that can be a sore one to take. Also, the solar plexus is a good area but that's a bit hard to hit precisely in a wild street brawl situation.

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I think the guys might have been having a go at people wjo think that boxing isnt street worthy maybe? Either that or he might be trying to point out that the vast majority of fighgts take place at a range that precludes kicking and other fancy stuff.

It would be good to see the whole article to get an idea of the context the comment was made in...?

I personally disagree though, I dont need to know how to punch, i just use heat vision on the sucker that starts on me in a club, doesnt matter if they have a knife, a gun or ten mates with them, one glance and they are all smoking heaps of charcoal.

I feel that RBSD courses dont put enough emphasis on heat vision so this may acount for the guys comments on needing to know how to fight, also RBSD's neglect to cover ninja defence in great enough detail as ninjas can go unseen and hence negate the use of heat vision, of copurse you doint get the same quality of ninja that you used to, when I was a boy you wouldnt see ninjas all the time but know you hardly ever dont see them.

15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Im given to understand the face hurts to?

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

what ever happened to the good old fashioned straight knee to the face?

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Well of course getting smacked in the face hurts too guys but nothing wrong in having more options right? :D

18. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I don't think being able to kick well is required to be able to fight well...

19. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I was at a seminar with Mo last year and I think he raises a lot of points that are close to my heart. I do think you can fight without being able to punch but you need to be very good at grappling to avoid it.

I think most grapplers can punch its just that when you go to seminars and there is slim round of focus mitt stuff and people are hitting it with no force or co-ordination it does make you worry for them if they ever needed to use the training they have.

I think this is perhaps his point?

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

maybe not, but grapple, clinch and takedown. absolutely.