Canadian Martial Arts Centre in Mississauga

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by livejesus, Aug 12, 2005.

1. livejesus

livejesus New Member

Hi, I have just visited a new martial arts school that opened and was wondering what the sensei their said was true.

Let me give you some backround information on this school. It is called the Canadian Martial Arts Centre and is an affiliate of Classical Martial Arts Canada. It is located in Mississauga, Ontario and just opened some months ago. It's instructor is Jason R Bassels 2nd degree black belt. The school has programs in karate, jiu jitsu, aikido, tai chi, chi kung, pa qua, kobudo, escrima, kendo and Iaido.

When I first walked in it smelled of incense and the sensei was wearing his Gi. I talked to him about my history of martial arts which wasn't much and what I was looking for. I asked him, "So what do you teach here?" and he replied,
    "Well what are you looking for?"
    "I am looking for kung fu, mainly Northern Shaolin or Wushu."
    "Do you know what kung fu is?"
    "I believe its chinese martial arts."
    "It means perfection."

So that is how we began our discussion on me taking martial arts here. He told me that I wanted to take Northern Shaolin or wushu because of its fancy moves and artistic aspect, and that is true. I wanted to focus on something much more artistic than karate.

He began telling me that in order to learn these more artistic moves that I start with the basic punches and blocks in karate. And by the belts brown or above that he will teach open hand techniques and what not. However, since when have kung-fu movements been implemented into Go-Ju (if I heard correctly) Karate. I may be mistaken in this, or that I have not read enough, and if so, please enlighten me.

As a beginning martial artist and under research I've come to realize that I am keenly interested in some of the varieties of kung-fu. Is what Sensei Jason Bassels said true? Should I begin Goju karate until brown belt, and then will he teach the open hand artistic techniques? Or should I just go straight to a kung fu school?

Thanks.

*If anyone knows of any good martial arts schools in Mississauga or needs more info on this school please post.

2. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

If you want to take a northern style of Kung Fu, take a northern style of Kung Fu.
    The best to figure out whats going to suit you best in the long run is go watch a few classes. Then go to a different school that offers different studies, watch those classes. Talk to the Sifu/Sensei, talk to the students.

If what you see blows you away, then go with it.. but don't settle for someone telling you to take something completely the opposite to build fundamentals in a completely opposite art. In Seven Star Mantis we never started with anything like Goju-Ryu would teach. My opinion is go straight to a Kung Fu school, check the lineage, watch the students and teacher(s) interact, and from there make the best common sense choice.

Hope I helped :)

Cheers!

Is there a website link to this school you went to by the way???

3. livejesus

livejesus New Member

4. Capt Keonig

Capt Keonig New Member

I looked all over Mississauga, check every kungfu school I could find, wasn't happy with any of it, I finally found a school about 21 minutes from me in Milton (west of Mississauga). They don't teach northern styles at this school, but I'll ask the Sifu to recommend someone to you.

5. livejesus

livejesus New Member

ugh thats what i was afraid of..

anymore input on this?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

If you're willing to consider a good school in systems that aren't exactly what you were looking for check out Kombat Arts. They do MMA - Savate, Kali, Muay Thai, DBMA, JKD, BJJ. Joey de Reyes is an excellent teacher and a really good guy. The people who teach at his school are top-flight.

7. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Slightly off topic but, If you want a really good jujitsu instructor in Onterio, Look up Sensei Andy Dobie ot Jitsu Canada. He teaches in Peterbrough Onterio.

KK

8. itsmurda

itsmurda New Member

hey sup here is a proper website for jason basell's dojo....http://cmac1.com/YumeDapo/ . I was thinking of joining that place to but I'm not sure anyone know anything on how much they focus on groundfighting ?

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Go find a school that teaches what you want to learn and not what the "sensei" wants to sell you. It's your money and your time. Don't waste it with something you're not looking for. Plenty of people take up Kung Fu without any prior martial arts experience. Why should you be any different?

It just sounds to me like this guy is trying to fill a class and is not acting in your best interests.

10. ShotoShodan

ShotoShodan New Member

CMAC

I am a student of Sensei Bassels and have been studying martial arts for over 10 years now. When i first met sensei bassels a similar conversation.

Hi Im looking into further exploring karate
    Well what is it your looking for?
    The spirititual side of martial arts in aikido and iaido
    How do you intend on finding it?
    Thats why I came here
    The way is in training.

From there i had a two hour conversation about what martial arts meant to me and how it related to what i wanted to accomplish. I am a black belt in shotokan and have trained with numerous people over the years. what i can tell you is that sensei bassels is a man who doesnt just teach the martial arts, but lives it. he has trained in wudang and all over china in different seminars and camps concerning different styles. he is a man who trains very hard and expects the same of his students. if you are looking for quality in a teacher, then look no further. i would highly recommend going to his dojo and taking his advice because he has lived these moments before. he is a man who treats his students like people and not memberships. his open door policy and eagerness to bring martial arts back to its purity instead of the bastardized commercial beast it now is, is what truly makes him a great sensei. he has a lot of knowledge, is sincere in his teachings and makes you train harder then you can ever expect. dont judge the sensei by his website. go in and have a conversation with him and you will know where i am coming from. besides, that website is the old, discarded one that has been underconstruction since moses walked the earth. talk to him and maybe he can help you find what your looking for. it worked for me. good luck.

Osu.