Can your blood pressure get too low?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gt3, Jul 2, 2005.

1. gt3

gt3 Member

Is it possible while doing taichi for your blood pressure to drop to dangerously low levels?

I would mainly think this would happen when trying to do taichi as slooow as you possibly can.

Or is it just not possible?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Well if you have a heart attack it will drop to zero, i dont think that would be good for you :D

3. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

gt3, if anything it would go up since you're having to pump blood around the body and overcoming gravity etc. It would go up even further since you wouldnt get the capilliary action caused through movement.

If it did drop, you'd probably pass out. It doesnt need to drop by much. Infact, you're probably far more likely for it to drop after eating a big meal. Chew on that! :D

4. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Here's my 2p worth:

Taiji can help people to reduce their blood pressure, when it is too high. But it will only lower it to a healthy level. I'd imagine that if it were low, then the practice would raise the pressure to a more healthy level too. The practice would try to put your body in balance.

5. Wu_Stylist

Wu_Stylist New Member

I agree, Taiji promotes the balance of Yin and Yang.

6. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

I suffer from low blood pressure. Effects are dizziness, blacking out, etc. But in most cases it's not related to exercise. My doctor told me eat more salt to raise my BP....
    I don't think you should worry about it unless you start blacking out.

7. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

It wont drop too low as a result of doing Taiji... but blood pressure can be too low...

8. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

9. wisely_foolish

wisely_foolish New Member

hello,

from what I could gather in physiology lectures a few years back, in a normal, healthy human, your body has a defence mechanism for when the blood pressure gets too high or low called the baroreceptor reflex. if the pressure is too high, it kicks in to lower your heart rate and dilate the blood vessels to lower the BP. if pressure too low, your heart is jump started, you get heart palpitations, the blood vessels constrict...which would probably be giving you the dizziness (that or from not even blood and oxygen going to the brain) and you may get some shakes/tremors as your muscle tone begin to increase to pump the blood further.

so, in the case of practising tai chi and having such a low blood pressure that you can die from, i believe is highly unlikely...unless you are losing alot of blood or your heart stopped =P

about having low blood pressure, about 120/80 is normal, going down to 110/70 is also ok. from my own observations practising tai chi, i realise it gets the heart pumping and this could increase the BP ever so slightly..i may be wrong about this...but i do know that medically, its better to have a slightly lower blood pressure than to have a whopping high blood pressure. but if your worried, about low BP, my doctor recommended (jokingly).."do something scary/exhilirating....take up smoking or something if you like.." hehe

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've been doing Taichi for 2 years and 4 years of breathing techniques.
    I've got a blood pressure monitor at home and I've been getting some weird resting readings recently.

resting:
    125/65 - pulse 64
    135/60 - pulse 59

after going to the gym or a busy day its more like:
    125/75 - pulse 71
    130/70 - pulse 75

I knew that Taichi would lower my blood pressure, but I didn't think I would get weird readings.

Am going to the Doctor about it in case it's something that needs to be looked into, but generally I don't feel like anythings wrong with me :confused:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005