Can You Help Me To Understand It ???

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by julio kodokan, Sep 10, 2006.

1. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

Hello ! My name is J I live in brazil,I am a 51 years old man, I am a black belt in karate and train as often as 4 times a week for the last 13 years.I do not go to karate sport but I am reasonably average succesfull martial arts practioner.Today I was very relaxed walking in the street,suddenly two man jumped over me .One grasped me by the shirt and had a knife in the other hand while the other one was quite and calm maybe with any weapon or knife I donĀ“t know.Gosh I did not react!
    I just gave them my money and very calm told them I did not have a cel phone they wanted too.I just freezed I guess...Why I did not react to the shirt grasp as I was trained in doors??? I almost never had a real street situation before...I could just not believe what I was going through.Can you feel my disapointment with myself and specialy with my trainning?I had ho kiay, I was helplessness...If you are a experienced man please help me to understand it and overcome my shame.Thanks a lot !!!!! (If possible tell me who you are)

2. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

It sounds like you took the smartest option available, and for that I congratulate you. It is better to have given them your money and then later wonder if you could have taken them, than to have tried it only to discover that you couldn't. And also remember that they had knives, and knives will just as easily kill you no matter how well-trained you are. In fact, fighting someone who is armed with a knife is just a bad idea period.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can view anyone's public profile by just clicking their name.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

That sounds like a case of adrenalin making you freeze up, perfectly normal for a situation like that, especially if you havent experienced it before. Im pretty sure Id have done the same in your situation.

You did the right thing by giving them your money, imo its not worth taking on someone with a knife over a few pounds/dollars.

Chalk it up to experience, now you know what its like it may not happen next time. Nothing to be ashamed of, you got away uninjured.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well done, you did the smart thing rather than getting yourself stabbed. There's no reason to feel ashamed over it. Having your throat slit may technically be brave, but you're still dead afterwards.

5. julio kodokan

Thank You! Thank You Very Much Indeed! Julio

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

So we're talking an encounter with multiple opponents and a knife, and you're here to tell about it less a few notes and a pair of pants that need washing, is that about the size of it? Dude, you did the right thing, you've got nothing to be ashamed of :)

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Mate, trying to fight 2 guys armed with knives is stupid. You did the smart thing, and are alive because of it. Brazil would be the worst place to try and fight them off, I doubt they would spare a second thought before stabbing you.

Money can be replaced, phones can be replaced, getting stabbed and killed is permenant.

8. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Like all the pther people have said - you did the right thing. You probably froze because of the effects of Adrenaline dump in your body. Usually this is a bad thing. However, in your case, this was very good. If you hadn't frozen, and had decided to fight, the chances are you would have been killed. Somebody with a knife is just too dangerous. You should only even think abiut fighting them if you actually believe that if you don't, you are going to die. At no other time should you try it. Posessions can be replaced.

9. julio kodokan

Thank You For Your Attention !!!!julio

10. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

When I was like 12-13 years old I was ambushed by about 6 foreigners, holding knifes and baseball bats. I realized that if they were not going to kill me, they would at least hurt me very seriously. I pushed the guy holding the knife, turned around and run over a fence and told a nearby postman and he drove me to a safe spot where I could go home. I was scared, very scared. And embarrased. But I got away without a scratch. I'd prefer being alive and embarrased.

I know how you feel Julio.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  11. julio kodokan

thanks for !!!!julio