Can women defend themselves against men?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by FF1994, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

I have no interest in responding to ad hominem. Thanks though.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

A handful. All kinds of things, from punching, kicks, takedowns etc...

Did they beat them to a pulp? No, but I don't hang around with those kinds of people. But all have prevented bigger, stronger men from physically dominating them, and instead dominated the situation themselves.

3. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

Warning noted. Sorry. But I am referring to self defense. My point about disabling an attacker was in relation to women's self defense, like at model mugging where they tell women they can knock an attacker out. It is that mentality I'm opposed to since it's not only dangerous, but also near impossible.

4. David Harrison

If how much you can lift in the gym is always the deciding factor in the outcome of sparring, then you are seriously lacking in an effective technical base.

5. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

Did they disable the attacker? Because that's my whole point. A woman can escape an attacker but I don't think she can disable one. That's why it's important to teach women in a way that takes into accounts their limits.

6. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

That's not the deciding factor and I never said it was, but strength and size matter most in a real life situation That will never change.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually no you cannot since I am a known quantity in the real world and several members on MAP have met me

You on the other hand have not been alive as long as many of us have been training and hold a belt in an art with no real claim on self protection efficacy for men or women

Jog on now son....playtime is over

8. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

So what do you want me to do? Meet people off here? From your use of the word "bloke," I assume you don't even live in the U.S. What am I supposed to do, travel to a different country? I'm sure most members on here don't have definite proof of their martial arts status. I'm sorry you can't accept another martial artist holds a different view than you. I don't see what's so unbelievable about that.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Martial arts aren't self defence, so why not explain your thoughts on self defence, women's self defence and how that differs from regular martial arts training.

Not someone else's website, but your own training and research.

10. Jackthegolfer

Jackthegolfer Banned Banned

I've personally never seen a woman beat up a grown man and I've been practicing for a little while. I haveseen women knocked out like Lucia Ryker, who was a world class boxer and was knocked out by a nobody.

11. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

Where I train, martial arts IS self defense, as that is the only situation you'd really use it. Unless of course, you're sparring, in which case you're helping each other get better for self defense purposes. Women's self defense is mostly a big scam. It's usually a 2 day seminar or maybe a 6 week program or some other useless set up where women are taught to attack vital points everyone already knows about it and then go against a padded man who isn't even fighting back. Look up Model Mugging. They have to be the biggest scam out there. They literally tell women to not stop until they've knocked out their attacker. They also pit women against a padded man who doesn't even bother hitting them and literally stands there, stunned, after each blow.

If women want to protect themselves, which I DO think they can do, they should train a martial art that implements sparring so they can know what it's like to get hit for real and hit back. This will increase their chance of being able to ESCAPE in a self defense situation. However, women simply don't have the biology in 99% of cases to be able to fully incapacitate a male attacker. Luckily, they don't need to. But it's important to understand their limits.

12. Simon

Jeez guys, this isn't about beating someone up.

Do you all have no clue regarding how to defend yourself.

13. David Harrison

Yes, strength and mass can be advantages if leveraged properly, yet smaller guys dominate larger, ostensibly stronger, ones all the time. Why should that suddenly change when you don't have a penis?

Men still have vagus nerves, diaphragms, joints that only bend one way and a need for blood and oxygen to the brain. Being big doesn't stop that.

And if you want another video, I can't post it because of language, but search for "CRAZY FIGHT ! WOMAN KNOCKS OUT MAN WITH ONE PUNCH !" on youtube. In fact, searching generally for "woman knocks out man" will yield a few, although all will contain bad language.

It's not that you have a different opinion, it's that your opinion is formed from ignorance.

If you're teaching self defence, then you should be teaching everyone to escape and not stick the boot in after you've gained an opportunity to do that.

14. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

That's just another ghetto worldstar-type video where a woman who doesn't even train martial arts got a lucky shot on the guy. What is that supposed to prove?

I already explained the reason a small man can beat a big man is because there is less of a difference in the biology of two men, despite being different sizes. A small man can still be as strong as a big man, has the same bone density, speed, just as high a pain tolerance, etc. A woman's strength is significantly lower than even a weak man's. Again, if you don't believe me, go to your local gym. Most women have a 10 lb plate on the bench barbell.

Also, while I respect your opinion, I would have to argue YOURS actually the one formed in ignorance. Feminists have brainwashed many people into thinking women are more capable than they really are. Why was it so easy for a nobody to knock out one of the best professional female fighters? It should be clear men and women are NOT on the same playing field. That's not sexist; that's the truth.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. Hannibal

Oh I believe you hold a different view.....it's wrong, but you can hold it by all means

I am English and live in Canada and teach regularly in the US

You are barely out of diapers in a style that has no relation to self defense

So perhaps try listening instead of spouting bilge

16. Hannibal

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD8j9v3-eFU"]UFC: Miesha Tate Destroys 4 guys - YouTube[/ame]

Video embedded and link fixed. I'm nice like that. Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  17. Hannibal

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FZLTpJREY"]Nerdy girl beats up guys at the gym - Maxmantv - YouTube[/ame]

Link fixed and video embedded. Jeez it's not like I don't have other things to do. Simon. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  18. FF1994

FF1994 Banned Banned

Again, ad hominems will go ignored. And to say Tang Soo Do has no relation to self defense is insanely ignorant. Also the link to that video you just posted didn't work. Lol can you white knight any harder?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2QgDWSfQik"]Lucia rijker vs Man - YouTube[/ame]

One of the best professional female fighters knocked out by a male barely anyone knows. Read the comments and understand what we mean when we say women are not built like men. Try to open you mind a bit.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  19. Simon

All this proves you have no idea regarding self defence.

I suggest you read through the self defence forum, look at some of the videos and see how they differ from the sparring ones.

Start with this thread and go from there.

In your class does self defence do you cover the pre-fight interview, posturing, verbal de-escalation, different types of aggressor, what Hannibal calls aftermath, which on a basic level is what to do and say after the even.

Do you cover weapons, both blunt and edged. Do you cover multiple assailants, do you do scenario training, what protective equipment do you use.

Are your self defence sessions legally underpinned, meaning do you understand your local laws, do your students know their legal rights.

Do you cover being attacked at home and do your local laws cover use of weapons at home.

Hopefully now you can start to see how regular martial arts training isn't SD.

If you can't answer ALL of the above then you as a male don't even do self defence and your full contact sparring may leave YOU THE MALE lacking in a SD situation.

20. David Harrison

Your argument makes no sense.

Untrained men only knock people out because of a lucky shot. People who are well trained choose where they hit people, or they use the pavement to hit them, or they choke them out, so luck becomes much less of a factor.

General differences in biology do not make those differences insurmountable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.