Can someone help me find some info on Kata

Discussion in 'Karate' started by donger, Feb 17, 2004.

1. donger

donger New Member

I come from a very eclectic style of Karate. We have a little of this and a little of that. We have several Katas and quite franky I don't know where some of them have come from. I've been researching like a mad man buy have only found origins to a few of the katas. I'm looking for things like the Kata's origins (Styke and country created in in) and the meanings of their names.I would appreciate any information to help me in this quest. I'm going to spell these words as phonetically as possible. Hopefully, the names won't be slaughtered.

Pinon 1-3
    uh-nok-ku
    ish-u-muh
    sherry-shi
    modi
    say-shawn
    tigo (1-3)
    more- ree
    kimahachi
    compasho
    raha
    In case you are wondering why I am not just asking my instructor for the answer is, I have. His response was that I should find it on my own. Its a personal growth thing. Again, I would appreciate whatever help I can get.
    Thank You

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

The names are pretty slaughtered, some I think I can make out though ;)

Pinon 1-3 Pinan/ Heian/ Pinyan amongst other spellings. usually there is 5, created by Ituso as intro kata.

uh-nok-ku

ish-u-muh

sherry-shi

modi

say-shawn - Seisan / Hangetsu - Means 13 / Half moon. Classical kata found in many branches.

tigo (1-3) - Tekki / Naihanchi is my best guess... 1st is classical Shuri/tomari. Other two are by Ituso.

more- ree

kimahachi

compasho

raha - Rahai? Tomari (I believe?)

The others got me.... Maybe you could try rewriting them? Or ask your instructor where they come from?

3. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

4. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

They're pretty slaughtered. No fault of your own, I'm sure. :-( It's just that it makes it difficult to help.
    Pinon 1-3 : As Andrew said, Pinan, probably.

uh-nok-ku: Ananku, probably. Created by Chotoku Kyan after he returned to Okinawa from Taiwan.

ish-u-muh
    sherry-shi
    modi

say-shawn = Seisan, probably. Means "13" in the okinawan dialect. Can be of Tomari/Shuri origin or Naha (goju).

tigo (1-3)= I agree with Andrew, probably Tekki. Shotokan's version of Nifanchi.

more- ree

kimahachi

compasho= Kanku Sho?? (Shotokan's version of Kosokun sho)

raha = feeding of Andrew's suggestion, "Rohai?" Vision of a heron. Shuri/Tomari lineage. Depending. If it's Itosu Rohai, then definitley shuri. Otherwise Matsumur Rohai (arguably tomari).

I can't say that I look favorably upon your instr. for this. At the very least, he should give you the proper romanizations of the kata names.

Rob

5. donger

donger New Member

First, let me thank you for your help.

I have definitely found some leads. Of course, some answers lead to futher questions. After checking some things out, I can't find any real similarities between the pinan that I have been taught and the Pinan/Heian, or Tigo and Tekki, but with Judderman's great sight I was able to view them. It's always nice to see other styles Kata's. It allows me to see things in a new light. For example, seeing Kanku Dai performed by a shotokan artist is extremely interesting. The moves are the same but their is an incredible difference in form.

I thought that their may have been a connection between Compasho and Kanku Sho, especially since we perform Kanku Dai under the name Kanku. However, that isn't the case, but it has led me to believe that like Kanku there is a long and a short version of Compa. Or, some american just might have made it up.

Rahai=Vision of Heron The name alone makes me think that we are talking about the same form. There is too much in the stances to make me think that this is a mere coincidence in name.

There is also a good chance that Seisan maybe the exact Kata that I was looking for. I have seen many traditional Martial Artist perform it, which coincides with Andrew's statement that it is a Kata found in many branches of Karate. I gotta wonder what the significance of the number thirteen and the Half moon might be,though.

Also, don't be too hard on my instructor. He's an incredible teacher and definitely one of the most talented martial artist that I have ever seen.

Thanks again for your help.