Calling all CMA practioners

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Seventh, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Hello,

I've been scouting for a martial art to do as my Jujutsu doesn't run during the summer. I stumbled across a Chinese Martial arts program, and going by the description is seems interesting. One thing though I would like to check is the legitimacy of it. The name of the style is "Heng Yue Yen Long Kwon", and apparently was founded by Grandmaster Yuet Sing AU in 1981. Was wondering about the legitimacy, and general reputation of it. Sites listed below.

Heng Yue Yen Long Kwon Main Site:
    http://www.hyylkmartialarts.com/

Winnipeg Club:
    http://www.hyylkwinnipeg.com/index.html

Help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

from a lineage/classical CMA perspective it sounds really suspicious. from a training standpoint looks like a fairly typical compliant-drilling TMA school. no strictly negative judgement from me, but i'd look for something else before trying it.

3. Seventh

Yeah, I'm skeptical of it as well. Figured I would run a background check on MAP. I might contemplate going in to watch a class in the near future, but for now, I'm curious of what MAP thinks.

4. Fish Of Doom

they're certainly fit, and the whole thing has a decidedly korean flavour, what with the doboks and spinning kicks and whatnot, so i suspect it might be partly repackaged TKD blended with random other stuff.

5. Seventh

Alright, thanks FOD, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's TKD!!!!
    Seriously Seventh, there are some truly great martial arts schools in Winnipeg, how did you come up with this????

7. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Words that got my attention was "best," "modern," "complete," and "family." Doesn't sound hugely martial, more sporty. Also I'm assuming the price list is in dollars, and if it is ... well, I don't wanna do anything in the world save live indoors that would make me hand over that much cash :s

8. Ben Gash CLF

I'd assume they're HK dollars ($12.43 to the pound today).

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

LOL. Give it a miss.

10. Seventh

Haha I see your point. No worries Sifu Ben, I just mostly curious about this "style". Just wanted to run it by MAP, that's all.

Concerning a hunt for a summer martial art, I've already a few places in mind. Just want to keep sharp so I'm good going back into Jujutsu.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Places to train in the 'Peg
    Plum Blossom CLF
    Guardian Dojo Kyokushin
    Sikaran Arnis
    Meibukan Goju Ryu
    Ching Wu Kung Fu

12. Seventh

Taken a look at all of them. Plum blossom I'm not really interested in right now, same with the Goju Ryu. The Kyokushin and Arnis are to far away and the traffic is horrendous so my parents flat out say no (Real shame, those places looked awesome). I have no idea about the Ching Wu.

There is Judo and boxing near me, though the half of the boxing class is just conditioning, from what I've seen. My parents are against me sparring in boxing too, so it's just learning technique and hitting pads/bags, which Isn't to bad. The judo is where my new friend trains at, and he can vouch for it.

13. Ben Gash CLF

You can always catch a bus, public transport in Winnipeg is really good in my experience. If you're doing JJJ and there's a judo club you can go to then it sounds like a perfect fit.

14. Seventh

Unfortunately, with where I'm located and where the Kyokushin dojo is located, it would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there by bus. I'm not sure how the scheduale is during the summer, but currently I have bus downtown, switch buses, and then go all the way back down. Also, I highly doubt my parents would fancy the idea of me going off on my own during the night (they're worrisome like that). That, and I have the habit of getting....lost.

Also, I'm glad you had a pleasant experience with transit, because transit has been sub par so far. Add Winnipeger's driving, and I'll be stuck on the bus for a very, very good while.

I'm still contemplating the Judo. I like the grappling aspect, but at the same time, I want to brush up on my striking every now and then, because I'm quite good at it. Grappling, not so much (then again, Judo might be right up my alleyway then!).

15. Fish Of Doom

why not the goju? there's not that much difference between goju and kyok (oyama studied goju for a fair while, so they have a lot of goju-ryu content).

16. Seventh

Seriously? I was drawn to the Kyokushin due to the full contact nature. Does Goju drill in the same fashion?

Site Link:
    http://www.gojuwinnipeg.com/

17. Fish Of Doom

some goju schools do, some don't. ask. you won't be doing full contact anytime soon in either, anyway, because you don't make newbies train full contact (let alone people who are not legally adult, it'd be suicide for the instructor). in any case it's likely to be much better than the faux TKD school from the OP.

18. Seventh

Hmmm, good point. I'll add to my list of things to check out then. The description seems good, though I have my reservations. Thanks Fish, I appreciate the help. Same to you Sifu, thanks for the help. Since you've been a long time Karate practitioner, what is your honest opinion on Goju Ryu Karate?

19. Fish Of Doom

you're welcome :)

styles are irrelevant, though. goju's one of the older formal styles, and the content itself is legit. it's also the most likely style to have dojos incorporating standing grappling, which you might find interesting, and they do traditional okinawan weight training (and iirc one hawaiian training method that the style founder nicked), which is made of win.

20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012