Buyu Camp East

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by stephenk, Sep 16, 2009.

1. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Anyone going?

I'll be there. Just booked tickets.

Maybe some lurkers? PM me.

Mentioning this post in a drinking establishment, in the presence of at least three (3) ninja, entitles the speaker to one beer of the redeemers choice

2. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Nope, gonna give us a clue as to where it is being held???:hat:

3. garth

garth Valued Member

Have you got any details Stephen?

Garth

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

5. garth

garth Valued Member

Looks good.

But for a Buyu Camp East, its a bit too far west for me.

But it does beg the question....Do we do anything like this in the UK where we bring about 6-7 shihan together for a teaching seminar?

Excuse my ignorance i'm new to the Bujinkan.

Garth

6. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I think that the organization of this event is a bit different than others that I've seen. (Also note that it's open to any shidoshi, not just 'shihan').

From what I understand, anyone is welcome to teach and it's done in break-out groups that students choose to attend rather than everyone teaching the entire group for a small time slot.

7. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Buyu camps are one of the best ways for Bujinkan members to get together for a weekend of training, meeting new people and getting exposure to other ideas and opinions on Soke's art.

I never miss it if I can help it. I'll be there with my monkey feet on. :)

8. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

there are too many teachers over here only on the lookout for themselves, i tried to do it once and no one was interested.....

9. garth

garth Valued Member

What a shame, I'm sure that if you could get a few Shidoshi/Shihan together there would be quite a large turnout.

Oh well

Garth

10. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

There are like 8 clubs in and around London alone. If those teachers got together, i'm sure a day training could be organised? I think there are at least three who have an account on MAP.

11. manchesterdojo

manchesterdojo Valued Member

Hi Garth,

Our annual festival always has a lot of different Shihan/Shidoshi teaching. The last one, 28th – 31st August 2009, had:

Brin Morgan - UK
    Natascha T. Morgan - UK/Switzerland
    Andrew Tenn - UK
    Tom Iddon - UK
    Tom Konig - Switzerland
    Raul Martin - Spain
    Michael Schindenwolf - Germany
    Steve Arntt - USA
    Jean Debets - Netherlands

and me instructing over 4 days. All listed are 10th dan or above and at least 4 are 15th Dan. There were also some lower ranks teaching things like calligraphy, absailing/climbing, ropework and knot tying. Happens every year so if you fancy it drop me an e-mail and I'll add you to our mailing list.

12. garth

garth Valued Member

OK let me know about next years event, i'm sure myself and my students would be up for that.

I first met Brin back in 1985 when he hosted the David Koss seminar. He always seemed like a nice guy.

Dont know the others but i'll certainly attend and bring some guys along.

Garth

13. manchesterdojo

manchesterdojo Valued Member

PM me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the mailing list.

14. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Buyu Camp was great!

Maybe next year we can get a few people from London to come as well.

15. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

What made it great? What did you cover?

Thanks.

16. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

We did a lot of things taijutsu-wise. The sort of training you'd expect with teachers like Jack, James, and a whole load of others.

I would say though the best part of it was the atmosphere created by a large group of people all getting together and really training with each other with the goal of improving our understanding and application of all this stuff.

Now that I write about it I realize that the feeling was that of a group of like-minded peers all getting together for some extra training in the park.

Which is a bit ridiculous when you think about the teachers who were there and how long they've been training as well as the vast life experiences of everyone. Yet everyone manages to cultivate this feeling which allows everyone to learn from everyone.

17. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

It was a great time. Always a lot of fun seeing old friends, meeting new people and getting to try new "flavors" of training.

Plus, training in the rain and mud is always a good time. :)

18. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member