Buy A New Car, Get A Free Gun...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Out-to-Lunch, May 21, 2008.

1. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Both awesome and excellent.

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

given the laws in place to prevent anything untoward from happening, i don't see what there is to object to, unless he's giving away hi-points or some other garbage.

it is, essentially, a gift certificate, with an alternate option for those who don't care for it.

4. forero

forero Valued Member

If it's not illegal there's no problem. That said if it was done where I live I'd move away.

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Cool - you can buy a gun and a car to transport the dead body to the coroner - thats like a full point plan!

(You don't honestly expect me to understand, I live in Britain and we have no guns for sale here - well not above the counter anyway...)

Surely they feel their car hasn't got enough going for it without throwing in a killing machine - oh wait...thats a car also int it...

6. pugo

pugo New Member

I think that's OK. People still have to register and "qualify" to get the gun. You can't keep the bad guys from acquiring guns, they can get it over the counter or in the back alleys.

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

as it should be ...always

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHr9CXsFtA"]Guns Made America Great - YouTube[/ame]

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

oh, and it's also worth remembering that there's no such thing as a free lunch; all this dealer has done is created a bundle for those who are so inclined. there's a reason he's getting so many visits from existing gun owners.

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What's the deal called? The drive by special?

10. Yohan

ROFL!! The difference in gun culture from America to the UK is HILARIOUS!! Even from the Southeast to the west coast, it's like night and day. Just look at how Slip sees guns (grew up in so. Cal) to the way I see guns (grew up in Alabama). It's crazy.

The different propaganda causes people to see them so differently. You guys think of guns and you think of criminals killing people. We think of guns and we think of self defense and hunting.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah for me guns are a strange one. I've been on the good and bad sides of them. I grew up with them and around them since I was a small kid. I'm from the generation that got their first air rifle at about 11 or so and their first .22 rifle at around 14/15. I've actually had many an enjoyable afternoon shooting cans, bottles and targets with friends. I later worked at a YMCA camp that had a great little rifle range.

Those are some of the positive sides of it. I still own several guns in the US. I probably always will. They're part of the culture I grew up in. My dear old mom has always carried. She's got to have one of the longest continuing CCW permits in the states. LOL!

The negative side is that I can remember when guns took over for knives and baseball bats in my neighborhood. I can remember when drive by shooting were relatively new. I can remember when metal detectors were installed in highschool for the short bit I was there... I can remember going to funerals... visting friends who went to jail/prison and some really stupid incidents that happen when you're a kid with lots of time on your hands and guns. I can remember my little bro changing for the worst when his bet friend shot himself in the head in front of him. I can remember when my brother first went in for gun related crimes. Lots of bad memories associated with them as well.

So yeah guns are a love hate relationship.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  12. Yohan

Similarly - in GB, most people don't have any chance to experience the positive side of guns. They don't shoot, their parents don't shoot, mostly because you can't just go out and get a gun, so the only exposure they have to guns is criminals hurting each other, reports on gun crime in the U.S., etc., so all they get is the bad side.

Here in the South, you meet one person whose life has been affected negatively by guns for every 20 people who go out hunting and shooting recreationally, or use their guns in when need arises.

13. slipthejab

Yeah... what I find ironic is that soooo many Brits I've met who've traveled in the US came back raving about being able to go to a range and shoot guns. Like a kid home from the candy store. Beaming and unable to shut up about gun brands and firepower and yadda yadda yadda. :p

14. Yohan

We used to have a firing range next to where I work. Once a week, this guy would come over with a truck full of fully auto guns. My boss tells me a story about how he was entertaining some Japanese customers and took them over to the range to shoot the machine guns. He said they went crazy on the guns and were over there yammering in Japanese for hours, wasting box after box of ammo in the range.

15. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

*Raises hand* Yep, done that. It's a very strange feeling for a Brit, walking down the road armed to the teeth with a rifle over one shoulder, a shotgun over the other and a couple of handguns . . . then having one of the neighbours lean out of his window, and smile and wave to you!

Mind you, getting a free gun when you buy a car is less strange than having a chain of gyms that has, if I'm not mistaken, a weekly "pizza night".

16. Yohan

ROFL

Sounds like the south.

I love the pizza night though. It could work. Lift weights -> eat pizza.

Winning combination.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yeah, out in the bayou in LA. I would have classed it as suburban from the population density and the shops, but there were also gardens with cows and other livestock in.

18. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

QQ Europeans. Tactics thru superior firepower!

Only our tactics came with a 100,000 mile/5 year warranty and a years free of OnStar. =)

19. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

The most surprising thing to me about this guy's "buyer's incentive" is that being able to get a crappy $250 gun for "free" when you buy a used car would actually have any significant increase in the number of cars purchased.

Who is really going to be swayed by a cheap handgun?

20. slipthejab

Never underestimate the power of gun loving middle America. :D

I mean after all did anyone think all the garbage they sell on the Home Shopping Channel would get bought up? Yet thousands of people got themselves into debt because of it. Go figure.

On a serious note... yeah you can bet he's not giving away a quality handgun by a top manufacturer. And if he's coming close he's worked it into the price of the car so that he's giving nothing away. Pure marketing schtick... nothing more.