But is it Legal?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by finite monkey, May 15, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Whilst randori-ing last night I scored ippon...or did I?

My opponent went in for Uchi Mata, but I closed my knees, thereby trapping his leg. He twisted around to try to counter with osoto, but I managed to bear down on him and take him down

We were playing Kings so there was a brief discussion as to whether it was legal, but no one knew for sure (we are not a very competition minded club), so I got the win :]

So Boffins? What say ye?

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Hmm not sure without seeing the throw, but how could he try for osoto if his leg was trapped between yours?

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Hard to say... Not least because it's difficult to visualise.

I can't see how someone with a trapped leg would go for osoto gari, for example. I could picture ouchi gari with terrible kuzushi, in which case you'd basically counter with something akin to sacrifice kosoto gake, which would be valid in my eyes.

That said, it's been over 10 years since I went to a Judo competition!

4. finite monkey

I think that's why he fell over

We had been drilling osoto as a counter to a failed/dummy forward throw

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Did you lock your legs by putting one foot behind another? If you jump on him and "ride him like a horse", you can crash him all the way down to the ground. That will be the best counter for "leg lift (Uchi Mata)" IMO.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I hate that when going for Uchi Mata and they close their legs. Just sayin'. Couldn't they push forward for a Ko Uchi of a fashion?

7. finite monkey

No, I just closed my knees. To be honest he threw himself, but a win by default is still a win...right?

Dude, that's a Metophor to Far

8. finite monkey

Is this a common defence against UM

I dont get out much

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's not! The leg lift (Uchi Mata) can come so fast that when you lock your legs, your body is already up in the air. That's why to jump on your opponent's back by borrowing your opponent's lifting force will be the best counter.

The leg lift (Uchi Mata) can be executed as the inner hook (Ouchi Gari). If your opponent uses a 45 degree angle to lift your upper leg, it will force your legs to open apart. It will be very difficult to close your legs at that moment.

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It is if you see it coming, and usually do with white/red belts ;) I'm never close enough to pull off UM, might try that one where the leg whips around to the outer hip, can't remember what it's called

11. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

If your opponent has any kuzushi at all you won't be able to jump anywhere.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

me thinks bad kuzushi also.

if he cant unbalance you properly and tries the throw he would already be unbalanced and unable to get too much of a result out of his throw. it theoretically would be easy to defend.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If your opponent is better than you, nothing that you try will work.

The "ride" is the counter for "leg lift ((Uchi Mata)".

- twist your body to the opposite direction away from your opponent's body twisting.
    - use your arm to press down your opponent's upper colar hold.
    - use the leg that is lifted by your opponent to "ride" on his lifting leg.
    - use bulldozer force to press your opponent all the way down to the ground.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

locking the legs doesn't sound like much of a counter no, I believe the more traditional way is to get the leg that's being reaped as high up to there hip as possible as if your trying to step over them and then you kind of just shuffle along until they either accept there not going to lift you or unbalance themselves trying and fall, I used to be a demon at countering Uchi mata in this way.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That book had removed a lot of dangerous counters for "safty sport" reason. If you can jump on your opponent's neck you may break his neck spine (a guy in Taiwan has spent the past 30 years on wheelchair by this counter from his opponent).

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

what book ? who is jumping on a what now ?

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

oh sorry didn't see your other post, yea that's the counter, I used to have a real knack for it, the blessings of being lanky.