Busted thumb any remedies?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47Ronin, Sep 27, 2003.

1. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I recently was boxing and hit my opponent funny and at first i thought it was just jammed, then I popped it and let it go.

Few days gone by and it still hurts like a mother.

I believe it is torn cartilidge but I do not have time to go to the hospital to check it out.

The reason I brought this up is because I fight very often and do sword so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help my thumb so I can still be active with it.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Dont be a doctor yourself:p Go check it out immediatly at a local hospital. A friend of mine did the same thing, and he ignore it for like a week or two. It ended up to be broken fingers, now he has to stop boxing for like a month or 2.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I know it isn't broke or totally broken and I don't feel like waiting for four hours for a guy to put a popsicle stick and some tape on me.

I'll let it self heal but I fight alot and wanted to see what someone would reccomend.

(oh yeah I'm not a boxer if that's what you think)

4. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

I jammed my thumb too, but probably not to the extent you did. After 3 weeks, it still has some irritation to it. I've been taking supplements in the meantime to encourage faster recovery. There's nothing you can do to make cartilidge heal faster other than let it rest or just not irritate it.

Chondrointin Glucosamine.

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Thumbs seem to take longer than anything else to fix :(

Try chondroitin, glucosamine sulphate, dit dar oil, arnika.

Have fun!
    David

6. Holgate

Holgate New Member

See the advantage of the National Health Service...you expect to wait four hours only to be told it's strained and you don't have to pay for it.....smart!

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I've never heard ofchondroiton or glucosamine sulphate.
    are they any good?
    I already put dit dar oil on it and have been but doesnt have the result I need.

Thank you for your replies anything else is always welcome.

8. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

1) See a doctor

2) Suppliments can help, but are more for long term care not quick fixes

3) If your sure that it isn't broken, then you can speed up healing some by aiding circulation. Soak your hand in hot water & massage your thumb w/ thumb and forefinger of your other hand. Massage sides from base to tip, then top & bottom from base to tip & repeat. Just before going to bed &/or class are good times.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Ok, I thought that I should bring this thread back up because my thumb was still causing me some troubles.

So I cave and go to the doctor and he tells me that I have torn/broken ligaments and it is permanentally damaged!

He says not to stress it out for like 8 weeks to see if it can build back up and not to give off as much pain.

ONE PROBLEM! I am testing the end of next month with many many Uechi people not only from the US but the Okinawans are coming!!!!!! I don't want to look bad in testing during sparring or anything so does anyone have any ideas on how I can cope with the pain or whatever?

I appreciate any useful advice, thanks!

Regards,

-Max

10. xubis

xubis New Member

Strange, this weekend at the KIBBS I was fighting and we both punched at the same time, his was inside mine and just ripped my thumb right back, it hurt like a bitch and still does, but it is getting better, I just haven't been picking things up with that hand or putting any pressure or strain on it at all.

11. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

But I have to test under the Uechi board with all the head honchos, I have to train with it and I can't just not use it :( .

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

In the early 1970s the New York Nets' reserve center, Eddie Johnson, was a notoriously bad foul shooter. He tried everything to correct his foul-shooting stroke, to no avail. On investigating his problem, he discovered that he had torn the ligaments in his right thumb and was unable to control the ball. He had surgery to repair the damaged thumb, and he markedly improved his foul-shooting percentage. He became one of the beterfoul shooters in the league. At least he became respectable.

The most common ligament tear of the hand is in the inner side of the thumb. This has also been called the "ski pole" injury suffered by snow skiers when a thumb gets trapped in the loop of the pole during a fall.

When the thumb ligaments are torn, you can't press the thumb sideways against the other fingers to grasp an object. This necessary movement of the thumb is what distinguishes the human hand from an animal's paw. Sometimes, basketball players also suffer this type of injury, like Eddie Johnson.

The immediate treatment is to ice the thumb and splint it. Then get to a doctor. You will have to immobilize the thumb for approximately six weeks and see if the ligament heals. If it doesn't heal, it will have to be surgically repaired....

Skier's Thumb

13. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Ahhh, Nuts!:(

I have had this for quite some time now so I'm guessing I should get surgery.........But I won't.

14. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

It is still messed up and during the testing it got worst but I kept up and passed. It will either be a life long thing or I'll break down and get surgery. :(:(:(

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What about not testing this time around? Its just a belt, not worth risking further damage for.

Col

16. blackenedwings

blackenedwings New Member

I have dislocated my right thumb 3 times in the last 2 months... so I feel your pain. This is a really irritating injury and one that seems to get worse each time it happens.

The one recommendation I can really offer is to visit a vitamin store and purchase a large bottle of Alphalfa tablets. It sounds strange, but alphalfa has components your body can use to rebuild tissue.

In the last year I have torn my rotator cuff and one of my triceps, both times I found my recovery greatly aided by taking this supliment.

17. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

It isn't being dislocated it has all the ligaments destroyed in it.

That's true I shouldn't have tested but my spirit told me to go for it. It's just one thumb and if I need surgery then I need surgery....